Madíson

Everything goes up by six
Björkman’s at it again:

==========

PRESS RELEASE
published on 12 Jul 2022

EUROVISION SONG CONTEST TO LAUNCH IN LATIN AMERICA

Eurovision Song Contest to launch in Latin America

The EBU is excited to announce plans to expand the Eurovision Song Contest brand into Latin America.

Eurovision Song Contest Latin America will be produced by Voxovation’s Christer Björkman, Anders Lenhoff, Ola Melzig, Peter Settman and Greg Lipstone, the producers of American Song Contest and Eurovision Song Contest Canada.

The 2022 Eurovision Song Contest generated more than 75 million unique viewers on YouTube across all ESC content in 232 territories worldwide, with Latin American countries among the top-performing markets for non-participating nations. Among those countries, Argentina, Brazil, Chile and Mexico saw the highest content views.

Producers will now begin the search for a host city for Eurovision Song Contest Latin America among the top-performing Latin American markets in the coming months.

Eurovision Song Contest Latin America marks the latest development in the global expansion of the Eurovision Song Contest as it simultaneously elevates the legacy of the brand while maintaining local cultural representation.

NBC’s American Song Contest, which concluded its eight-week run on 9 May, saw an increase in viewers for the Grand Final, during which K-pop star AleXa was crowned the Season One winner. Eurovision Song Contest Canada, co-produced with partner Insight Productions (a Boat Rocker company), is set to debut in 2023.

Eurovision Song Contest Executive Supervisor Martin Österdahl said: “Following on from the launch of the American Song Contest, and with plans underway for Eurovision Song Contest Canada next year, the European Broadcasting Union is thrilled to be now working with Voxovation on bringing the excitement and magic of the Eurovision Song Contest to Latin America. The unique Eurovision format finds new fans across the globe every year and we can’t wait to expand the brand in this hugely diverse part of the world.”

Peter Settman and Greg Lipstone, on behalf of the Voxovation producing team, said: “Fans across Latin America have consistently shown up and showed out for the Eurovision Song Contest brand, and Eurovision Song Contest Latin America is the embodiment of that fervent passion, as well as a continuation of the broad vision we, the producing team, have for Eurovision as a global brand.”

The Eurovision Song Contest, organized by the EBU, is the world's largest live music event d, with over 180 million people tuning in across linear and digital channels in 2022.

During the Grand Final, audience shares in 40 markets routinely double primetime viewership on participating networks, and among 15 to 34-year-old audiences, the viewership is quadrupled.

The Contest has launched the global careers of a wide variety of artists, including most recently Italian winners Måneskin as well as Celine Dion, ABBA, Julio Iglesias and numerous others.

ABOUT VOXOVATION

Voxovation, formerly ASC, Inc., represents the expansion of the Eurovision Song Contest franchise into untapped markets by identifying new production and broadcast partners, as well as the exploration of new revenue streams, including digital platforms. Led by CEO Peter Settman and Greg Lipstone, President and COO, Voxovation brings together some of the top global minds in entertainment, music and television, including Christer Bjorkman, who famously performed on the Eurovision Song Contest and later became one of its longest-running contest producers; Anders Lenhoff, one of Europe’s top creative producers; and renowned television and mega-event producer, Ola Melzig. With operations based in Los Angeles, Voxovation simultaneously elevates the legacy of the Eurovision brand while maintaining local cultural representation with the same entrepreneurial integrity established by the principals.

general election uk GIF by BBC

American Song Contest was garbage (despite looking quite nice). The songs were largely terrible, the juries ruined it, and the format was overly complex. It ended up as an Idol clone. I still think a pan-American version at the national level would have been the better route all round.

At least this is likely to have some better songs

Unlikely. You might have a couple of decent songs but this is going to be full of terrible ballads and awful songs in general. This Festival already existed for nearly 3 decades (OTI Festival) and it was consistently dreadful, you can't imagine, you can't. I don't understand the need for this, specially since they're working trying to bring back the other one, but good luck with it, you're gonna need it. I'm not remotely interested.

Unlikely. You might have a couple of decent songs but this is going to be full of terrible ballads and awful songs in general. This Festival already existed for nearly 3 decades (OTI Festival) and it was consistently dreadful, you can't imagine, you can't. I don't understand the need for this, specially since they're working trying to bring back the other one, but good luck with it, you're gonna need it. I'm not remotely interested.

I live for old OTI stuff found on Youtube!

I live for old OTI stuff found on Youtube!
I can understand the appeal (for all the wrong reasons).

Anyway, RTVE was going to launch Hispavision next year, which is basically the same, so I guess they're gonna have to talk about it and merge both projects or something like that. RTVE tried to bring OTI back a few years ago and it was impossible due to the lack of interest (or other reasons) from many South American countries. So I have my doubts this is actually happening, Asiavision has a bigger chance if you ask me.

American Song Contest was garbage (despite looking quite nice). The songs were largely terrible, the juries ruined it, and the format was overly complex. It ended up as an Idol clone. I still think a pan-American version at the national level would have been the better route all round.

Agree with every point made.
What was most alienating to me is that ASC with that format looked and felt very canned, ours feels so fresh and live, it's so much more intriguing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom