Favourite destination you've travelled to.

Rowan Tree 🌳

maybe this time i'll win :)
Which place do you look back on as your favourite? Whether it's close to home or far away.

I got to Sicily last February, right before Covid. We flew into Palermo and didn't get to the eastern side of the island, but what we did see was amazing. Palermo is bustling and manic and unique, but then there were the resort towns like Cefalu, the island Favignana which was deserted that month and we just cycled around all day, and Erice which is a medieval mountain town, and all the landscapes in between as well. It just had everything.

Portugal in general. I think Porto and Lisbon are the two prettiest cities I’ve ever seen and the drive between them was stunning. I can’t remember the small towns, but I saw a few in the middle of the country.

Actually, thinking about it, that’s just the prettiest. My favorite place in the world is New York City

It's a massive cliché but it's Venice for me, it's just magical (especially if you can get away from the crowds at all).

New York was a big one, the first to make me go ‘wow’ in many years. Everything is just so BIG and, I don’t even know, but cool I guess.

Real Housewives Of New York City Wow GIF

Favourite though is probably Stockholm. Not too sure why, but just so well put together, pretty enough, the Swedes are great and covered in snow it just had such a good feel and enough to do (mixing ice hockey with Abba with museums etc) that I felt incredibly comfortable and happy there.

I really liked Barcelona.

I haven't actually travelled all that much. I'd like to do more!

Very hard to pick a favourite. One of my favourite memories of travelling was hiring a motorbike and riding into the middle of nowhere in Laos, the journey was incredible. Proper ancient stepped hills, villages without electricity and animals just wandering around. Even crashing the bike in the rain was an experience.

Portugal in general. I think Porto and Lisbon are the two prettiest cities I’ve ever seen and the drive between them was stunning. I can’t remember the small towns, but I saw a few in the middle of the country.

Actually, thinking about it, that’s just the prettiest. My favorite place in the world is New York City

Yes. Team Tuga! Pretty sure I went 5 times in 2016 and 2017. Mainly Lisbon but also one week in Porto and through the middle of the country. Gorgeous country, lovely people, incredible food.

Reactions: RJN
Hard to pick one but probably Iceland because it was so different from everything else. Really want to go back and stay longer.

Vancouver Island. The sea, the architecture, the pace of life, the people, the museum, the food...loved it. I'm planning to go back in 2022.

Budapest is my favourite city in Europe for a few reasons - I feel it has everything you could possibly want from a city break.

Good restaurants, great nightlife in the ruin bars, interesting attractions and museums and the spas are a nice bonus for when you need a rest from trudging around the city.

And the best thing about all of the above is that it is CHEAP AS PISS - so you can enjoy all of the above at total bargain basement prices.

Last edited:
Agreed on Portugal - it was January when I went and it was still pretty lovely in Lisbon and Sintra, but grey in Porto. I'd love to go back and experience it in the summer. both of the big cities had really distinct and unique charms but I think I preferred Lisbon on balance. would love to spend a couple of weeks there and see more of the nature too.

my other faves have been Malaga in Spain (a literal paradise) and Lake Como in Italy. Europe has so much to offer, and there's so much of the world I'd like to see but I'm not done here yet.

• Love
Agreed on Portugal - it was January when I went and it was still pretty lovely in Lisbon and Sintra, but grey in Porto. I'd love to go back and experience it in the summer. both of the big cities had really distinct and unique charms but I think I preferred Lisbon on balance. would love to spend a couple of weeks there and see more of the nature too.

my other faves have been Malaga in Spain (a literal paradise) and Lake Como in Italy. Europe has so much to offer, and there's so much of the world I'd like to see but I'm not done here yet.

Don't go July or August - I've found it to be too overrun and too busy. Late September and October are really fantastic.

I mean it's impossible to choose really.

I probably wouldn't say no to being stuck in Rio de Janiero forevermore. I do love that place.

:o

Why were you disappointed by it?

It was very grey and cold when I went, a freak cold spell, even though the day before Lisbon had been ROASTING. And then I just found it full of coach loads of tourists snaking around the area, I didn't enjoy the food (it's quite porky and v. simple) and then I puked up the Piri-Piri chicken an ex from Porto had recommended I try. I was thinking about potential places to spend a big chunk of time and me and Mrs Bov both decided Porto was NOT it!

Japan. Kyoto and Tokyo (and Tokyo Disney Resort!) surpassed my sky-high expectations, I still think of that trip all the time. The sights and temples, the friendliness of the people, the food!!!, the weird stuff, everything was just so memorable.

Omg I’m dying to go to Sicily that’s probably next on my hit list seeing as Brazil looks like it’ll be some YEARS away.

Mexico is definitely my favourite place, amazing weather, super friendly people, incredible food, TEQUILA. I was somewhere super touristy (Puerto Vallarta!) but would love to go back and go off the beaten track (but still do a week in an all inclusive resort as well, OBVS)

so many of my friends RAVE about Tulum in Mexico and it does look very beautiful, but from what I've read (and what the good sis @Pipo told me) it seems like it's exclusively for rich tourists.

not sure what order but I think my next two "big" trips will be to Mexico City and Tokyo (+ rural Japan and Taiwan/Korea).

I would love to do Mexico City. I’ve been to Mexico but just a resort which hardly counts
And I just looked there and flights are pretty cheap. Maybe I’ll go next year

Sicily is nice although I really didn’t rate Palermo. It wasn’t BAD but more in the sense of I could’ve been anywhere, although we’d just been to Rome so I may have been comparing everything to that at the time.

As for my favourite places, certain spots in Southern Spain are really high on the list. My grandparents used to have an apartment so we’d spend most of our summers there.

I echo @Jark with Malaga, although it’s a big city in a touristy area it doesn’t feel touristy at all. Lovely food, lovely ARCHITECTURE, lovely parks with shirtless men exercising, a little rough round the edges, supposedly good nightlife and on the coast with good weather year round! There’s literally nothing more you could want! There’s also a very pretty town in the hills called Ronda which we always used to go to as well.

The top spot would probably go to Anna Maria Island on the west coast of Florida though. It’s literally just beaches and beach houses but it feels like PARADISE (although you live with the knowledge that Tampa is just up the road).

so many of my friends RAVE about Tulum in Mexico and it does look very beautiful, but from what I've read (and what the good sis @Pipo told me) it seems like it's exclusively for rich tourists.

not sure what order but I think my next two "big" trips will be to Mexico City and Tokyo (+ rural Japan and Taiwan/Korea).

Tulum is TRASH! I live for Mexico City, Oaxaca and the Yucatan Province tho

Sicily is nice although I really didn’t rate Palermo. It wasn’t BAD but more in the sense of I could’ve been anywhere, although we’d just been to Rome so I may have been comparing everything to that at the time.
I thought it was totally different than anywhere else I'd been in Italy, bar maybe Naples but even that had a different vibe.

Manic and a grimey but cool and different from anything else on the island (though I didn't get to Catania).

it's also really basic, but i feel very happy in bangkok. the food is so good and it's such a great place to just mooch around.

the traffic is evil tho

Oh god I don't know. It would be Basic Bitch 101 to say VEGAS wouldn't it. So many great places mentioned already - Iceland, Japan, Lisbon, Budapest, Barcelona. Loved Prague myself. New York is fab but I preferred San Francisco. Hong Kong, Shanghai.

Mild disappointments Paris, Rome and LA.

WHEN I EVER eventually get to Mexico we'll be just down the road from Tulum so I'm totally going, fuck you :disco:

I hear this a lot. I can’t believe I’ve never been to Porto or Lisbon, I don’t know anyone who has anything but amazing things to say and I love all the historical Mediterranean cities.

my problem is I keep going back to the same places. My favourites in Europe are Madrid and Fuerteventura and Palma. But I was bowled over by Budapest outside of the Southern countries. I would recommend that to anyone.

Same. Still haven’t done Prague or Dubrovnik. I also wanna do a Baltic tour of Tallin, Riga, Helsinki and St Petersburg’s

ugh life’s too short innit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom