First UK professional footballer since Justin Fashanu: "I'm a QUEEN!"

How depressing that this is a milestone in 2022. Football feels like it's about a decade and a half behind the rest of culture in a lot of ways.

How depressing that this is a milestone in 2022. Football feels like it's about a decade and a half behind the rest of culture in a lot of ways.
Yes, this feels simultaneously pleasing and bleak, somehow. When you think of the strides that have been made in representation in terms of diversity in other areas, it really does make you want to check what year we're currently living in.

Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

In many ways though, I think it taking so long but then only happening with a 17 year old is weirdly a sign that the progress has still been happening, just behind the scenes? Like it feels like this is a 'it's happening now because there literally is almost zero consequence for it by this point' stage, just none of the Premier League lot really wanted to test to thesis.

In many ways though, I think it taking so long but then only happening with a 17 year old is weirdly a sign that the progress has still been happening, just behind the scenes? Like it feels like this is a 'it's happening now because there literally is almost zero consequence for it by this point' stage, just none of the Premier League lot really wanted to test to thesis.
Every professional club now has an engaged LGBTQ group. I went to an under 18s game at Old Trafford the other week and there was a rainbow banner. British football has made big efforts to become more inclusive, yes there is still a minor element of idiots, but you get that in any sport.

Ive been going to Football for the past 30 years, its changed massively. I would say this is more indicative of tabloid culture.
It’s changed, yes, but he’s still absolutely going to be on the receiving end of homophobic chanting from the bellends who haven’t changed next season.

It’s changed, yes, but he’s still absolutely going to be on the receiving end of homophobic chanting from the bellends who haven’t changed next season.
I guess what will be interesting is how clubs respond to that.

I guess what will be interesting is how clubs respond to that.
I would hope and expect the cubs to condemn it and threaten lifetime bans for anyone identified. Football has changed enough for anyone who cares about their reputation not to want to be seen as homophobic, but there’s still a sizeable rump who don’t care about their reputation. Just look at how often there are reports of racist abuse, and that’s been perceived as unacceptable within the game for much longer than homophobia.

I suspect there’s still a lot of homophobia amongst players unfortunately.

It was only a few months ago Patrice Evra said other players at West Ham routinely made homophobic remarks, and said they would drive a player out of the club if they found out he was gay. I doubt that sort of thing is isolated to just one club.

His teammate Martin Ekpiteta has released this statement. I believe homophobic tweets were found on his Twitter from 10 years ago, including applauding countries for outlawing gay marriage, and chastising Hollyoaks for having too many gay characters (:D)

Last edited:
Reactions: Hak
Regarding the whole 'big deal' and 'who cares' comments I've seen on social media, which I do believe in a large amount of cases do come from a good place, I liked this tweet yesterday:

At first I did think 'well I've not really fought any battles' (in the Peter Tatchell sense at least), but it's true really of any LGBTQIA person who has ever been in the closet, isn't it? Every day can be a battle. Even those repeated 'do I disclose it? Do I need to?' conversations that I still have with myself (please tell me I'm not the only one) are fucking exhausting.

You're not the only one- and that comes as a normally happy as fuck about the whole thing 44 year old who found himself taking the "Dan and Michael's Wedding" road sign that I have behind my in my home office type of affair thing a few weeks ago when I was dealing with a potential very important new client on Zoom....

IT STILL HAPPENS

Pujol responded with " It's time to tell OUR story Iker."

Looks like STRAIGHT LAD BANTZ :goodgrief:

Twitter gays do NOT AGREE and actually this has set GAY RIGHTS back by 50 YEARS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom