Former X Factor contestants speak out against the show

Somebody I know was a youth worker in Manchester and says he met multiple people who were 'terrorised' by her pre-X Factor :zombie:

Who, Misha? Bloody hell...

It seems to me that both Misha AND Kitty were difficult to work with and clashed massively. It doesn't give Misha the right to place all the blame on Kitty and make everyone think she is a racist. She specifically called out that Kitty is caucasian, although not once did she say that any of the arguments were due to her skin colour. Does that mean that every time someone has an argument with a person of colour they are automatically a racist? Misha still has a lot of beef from her time on X Factor, and the whole bullying claims should never have been brought up on the show, but if she is lying and she DID cause issues between the contestants she has to accept this, but she is adamant that she didn't. It seems more likely that there WERE issues between her and some of the other contestants. It should never have been brought up the way it did, though. THAT is what the issue is, not Kitty, not Little Mix.

I worked with someone at the Town Hall Taverns in Manchester who knew a Misha from school. She said she was a bit of a dick (arrogant, show off) but she said nothing about her being a bully.

Who wasn't a dick at school, though...

Anyway, there's always two sides to every story, and I'm sure Misha played her part in that and it's not all on poor brave Kitty or Little Mix.

I doubt Misha is an angel. Or Kitty. Or any of Little Mix. But that's all smoke and mirrors.

X-Factor always leaned hard into all of the UK's most disgusting traits, with its low-rent, low-class end-of-the-pier sense of "humour". She trash.

All I take away from this is the memory that Misha B was far too talented to grace that stage, and that the aftermath of Born This Way continues to wreak havoc on us nearly a decade later, and quite rightly so. :disco:

X-Factor always leaned hard into all of the UK's most disgusting traits, with its low-rent, low-class end-of-the-pier sense of "humour". She trash.

All I take away from this is the memory that Misha B was far too talented to grace that stage, and that the aftermath of Born This Way continues to wreak havoc on us nearly a decade later, and quite rightly so. :disco:
Her Rolling In The Deep was the best first-week performance in the history of the show, despite what @VoR said in that other thread.
I also loved her Would I Lie To You where she came dressed as a giant quality street.

I don't know what was said on either side, but the one thing that does appear clear is that a lot of it was incited by production for the sake of exploitation and tabloid fodder, putting the mental health of contestants on the line for a cheap headline. That's the dark part.

Tulisa has responded, reasonably I’d say
Tulisa responded to Misha's claims in a four-minute Instagram video on Monday night.

While she was adamant that Misha had "made two of my acts cry" and defended her right to "call out" bad behaviour, the star said she could have dealt with the situation more delicately.

"If I was the person I am today, who is more emotionally intelligent, who has more life experience, I would have handled it in a very different way," she said. "I didn't think of emotional consequences.

"And that I am truly sorry for and I deeply regret."

However, she added, her actions had "nothing to do with race".
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CBeYWmhFjUy/?igshid=1jd1v55e8vdz3

A member of Little Mix who was involved in Misha’s account of the conflict on the show

I have to say I’m struggling with the DISCOURSE surrounding this. There’s a lengthy post in the PJ forums saying that to question her account shows white fragility and weaponises her blackness against her and diminishes dark-skinned black women’s voices

Why is it not remotely possible that she had a bad attitude and/or was mean to others like several people who were there have said?

I’m not being facetious and I do want to understand, but I can’t see the logic that instantly exonerates her of all wrongdoing

I have to say I’m struggling with the DISCOURSE surrounding this. There’s a lengthy post in the PJ forums saying that to question her account shows white fragility and weaponises her blackness against her and diminishes dark-skinned black women’s voices

Why is it not remotely possible that she had a bad attitude and/or was mean to others like several people who were there have said?

I’m not being facetious and I do want to understand, but I can’t see the logic that instantly exonerates her of all wrongdoing
It could be, and probably is, both. She can both have a bad attitude (which in itself may be a reaction to racism) and that the way others react to it is exacerbated by racism. We just need to look at Drag Race to see how similar behaviour has very different responses depending on whether a Queen is white or not.

For me, the race issue is part of a wider problem that X-Factor has / had in terms of playing up to tropes around race, sexuality, gender identity, class, physical appearance, mental health, etc. that white, heterosexual, cis-gender middle England lap up.

The fact that Misha is black, and her music and aesthetics were more edgy than your usual X-Factor fare, meant that she was already in a disadvantaged position. Painting her as a bully live on-stage (regardless of whether or not she displayed questionable behaviour behind the scenes) probably only served to reinforce a certain image that some people were only too willing to have of her.

I wonder if Cher Lloyd is an interesting point of comparison. While white, she was also put through the wringer, and forced into a "redemption" arc, arguably for being "low-class" and "too urban". I don't remember these redemption arcs being forced on white, straight male contestants, at least during the show's peak, but maybe someone can refresh my memory.

It's almost that people are wary of making any negative comments about a person of colour at all in case it is construed as being a racist attack. Skin colour aside, if someone is not a nice person, they are not a nice person.

It's almost that people are wary of making any negative comments about a person of colour at all in case it is construed as being a racist attack. Skin colour aside, if someone is not a nice person, they are not a nice person.
Agreed, and it’s important to note that Misha’s story isn’t the only version of events.
Where this is unique to her as a black woman is the constant reinforcement of her being very confident and confrontational, and the public shaming she received which other contestants (Christopher Maloney!) never suffered. From stories I’ve heard, she wasn’t particularly pleasant in her youth, but then I’m sure the same can be said of other contestants and they weren’t subject to the same dissection of their character on live TV.

Reactions: dUb
Tulisa has made another statement, more apologetic but with an undercurrent of “you were a bit of a bitch though”

I think her statement is more than fine to be honest. I'm not sure Tulisa has anything to apologise here for really - she was a puppet for the producers at the end of the day, and she sounds sincere.

Did Louis Walsh face the same backlash as Tulisa?

She deleted that particular tweet, but posted/kept this one

Misha was painted as a volatile angry person and her responses and behaviour are not giving me anything to disbelieve that, also the fact that Perrie and Leigh-Ann liked Tulisa's message kinda makes me wonder how things really went down. Some people have been saying that Misha was good friends with Little Mix because they tweeted fans and asked to buy her songs but that doesn't really mean anything, it's usually something that many celebs do anyway.

My issue is that it should NOT have been brought up on TV at all, it should have been dealt with behind the scenes.

I also hate the use of KAREN to describe people. :eyes: Just as well it's describing white women!

I think a WELL-EMPLOYED Karen is powerfully descriptive. The way Misha is using it there is wrong though - it does not mean WHITE WOMAN MAKING EXCUSES FOR HER RACISM, it means SELF-ENTITLED MIDDLE-CLASS WOMAN (generally WHITE) WHO BELITTLES PEOPLE SHE THINKS ARE UNDER HER AND ALWAYS WANTS TO TALK TO THE MANAGER. At least that's what I understood it to be when I last logged in on BEBO DOT COM. I believe there is a MALE version too (Kevin?).

Reactions: dUb
I’ve heard Kevin too. I hope it doesn’t catch on because I am one :sour:

This I watched and found quite interesting. I think most people know there is alot of staging, narratives that are pushed that aren't necessarily real etc. But this is pretty appalling really.

Oh interesting! Will give it a watch.

Here's the original clip of course

wish she'd just bloody get on with it

35 minutes? Part 1?

Could someone summarise or bullet point what this Billie Piper's mum lookalike is saying please?

This I watched and found quite interesting. I think most people know there is alot of staging, narratives that are pushed that aren't necessarily real etc. But this is pretty appalling really.

The kitchen!

The dog!

The outfit change!

And the email... :D

I'm not doubting the woman's experience of her experience but watching her retelling and watching the audition footage there is A LOT which doesn't marry up.

I'm sure she absolutely was manipulated into her reaction but editing can only do so much.

Are we cancelling Dermot as a result of this?

HOPEFULLY

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom