funky does Kylie: "DISCO" (2020)

Surely a discussion of RoL would be incomplete without a mention of the withdrawn Sophie Lawrence cover of Secrets (avec KEY CHANGE). I thought my one-sided 12" promo would be rare but since discovered that it sells for £1.99 on Discogs. :(

I assume the 3rd successive e in Deee-Lite going missing explains some of the earlier scores :D

Very solid 3rd albums review. I skim the PWL tracks, which I think come from a peak stage in their production. The rest are decent, but I've no nostalgia for them whatsoever.

I can't get enough of the album version of "Shocked" this morning after that amazing review by Funks :disco:

Not that it isn't permanently lodged somewhere in the upper echelons of any Kylie Best Of of mine, but sometimes reading someone's fresh take on it is just the ticket.

Updated. All about Rhythm of Love at this point. The next 3 albums will be interesting because, a few singles aside, I'm really not that familiar with her main 90s era...
I'm pretty sure KM94 will be fully up your street. it's basically a très sultry AC R&B album for the most part and queen is serving VOX.

unfortunately you will have to get through Let's Get To It first. :eyes:

Let's Get To It is that difficult contractual obligation album.

As we have since discovered Mike Stock is a massive CUNT his description of writing with Kylie on on it being akin to pulling teeth (or some such) can be taken with a huge pinch of salt quite frankly.

It does have one absolute gem on it in the form of Finer Feelings - would be a good idea to listen to the Brothers In Rhythm single mix too because it's sort of a precursor to their work on KM94.

Last edited:
Oh I LOVE Finer Feelings but I don't know which version I'm familiar with.. much like "Shocked" I shall listen to both

You're not filling me with confidence on the next album.. then again I'll probably be contrary and love it :basil:

But what is love
Without the finer Feelings
It's just SEX
Without the sexual
Healing
Passion dies (PASSION DIES)
:disco:

• Love
Reactions: COB
Without some TENDER meaning
It AIN'T LAAAHVVVV
Without the finer
FEELINGS
THE FINER

THE FINER

FEELINGS

:evil:

@funky can you correct your One Boy Girl titling error please. It's triggering my OCD tendencies.

Genuinely just went to check if noted Kylie superfan @Eddie was the one who had it wrong because I was sure it was the other title

Could Kylie have updated the title over the weekend and forgot to tell everyone?

A more likely scenario I reckon…

1642280410937.png

07 Word Is Out
07 Give Me Just A Little More Time
08 Too Much Of A Good Thing
09 Finer Feelings
02 If You Were With Me Now (ft Keith Washington)
06 Let's Get To It
06 Right Here, Right Now
07 Live And Learn
07 No World Without You
04 I Guess I Like It Like That

10 Finer Feelings (Brothers In Rhythm 12" mix)

Current Kylie playlist:
Look My Way (Kylie)
Enjoy Yourself (Enjoy Yourself)
Step Back In Time (Rhythm Of Love)
What Do I Have To Do (Rhythm Of Love)
The World Still Turns (Rhythm Of Love)
Shocked (Rhythm Of Love)
Things Can Only Get Better (Rhythm Of Love)
Rhythm Of Love (Rhythm Of Love)
Too Much Of A Good Thing (Let's Get To It)
Finer Feelings (Brothers In Rhythm 12" mix)

Current Top Ten:
1. Step Back In Time (Rhythm Of Love)
2. Finer Feelings (Brothers In Rhythm 12" mix / Let's Get To It)
3. Shocked (Rhythm Of Love)
4. What Do I Have To Do (Rhythm Of Love)
5. Look My Way (Kylie)
6. One Boy One Girl (Rhythm Of Love)
7. Things Can Only Get Better (Rhythm Of Love)
8. Enjoy Yourself (Enjoy Yourself)
9. The World Still Turns (Rhythm Of Love)
10. Rhythm Of Love (Rhythm Of Love)

Last edited:
07 Word Is Out - I love going through these in chronological order and hearing the influences of the time. I can't quite place who this reminds me of, it's a bit of a bop, but I do think it's an odd choice of a single, after the four MAMMOTH dance tracks that preceded it in the third album. Then again I don't know what else the album had to offer yet...

Word Is Out is that lost single (aside from What Kind Of Fool) in that she practically never acknowledges it live (save for a split second snippet during Showgirl).

This album is very "new j(ack)ill swing" and all the worse for it.

With a bit of RAVE thrown in right at the end (and more successfully on the b-sides of the time under the pseudonym Angel K :disco: )

07 Give Me Just A Little More Time - I don't normally care for motown / 60s pastiches, but I've always been quite fond of this. It feels a bit out of place versus the last album and Word Is Out, but maybe there's more of this on this album. If there isn't, the outlier is a bit strange, but then again, it's a strong song, and I can see why it was a single, so fair play.

This album is very "new j(ack)ill swing" and all the worse for it.

FABULOUS :D

I always knew there'd be a contrary album that everyone was disappointed with that I'll love, somewhere along the way.

• Haha
Reactions: RJN
It's just a boring album which frankly is the WORST kind of Kylie. She seemed bored promoting it at the time too.

I have since (the other day) discovered that it WASN'T actually a contract obliging album. She apparently fulfilled that with Rhythm Of Love. :o You learn something every day.

08 Too Much Of A Good Thing - aaaaah, now I did wonder if Kylie was going to embrace the "Soul II Soul" sound as I call it, the 70s funk drum loops overlaid with real instruments and/or classic samples. I guess this is her attempt. I like it. As was common among these sorts of songs then, it shifts and changes with different drum loops and sounds and melds with a house sound, as the clubs had a big house/hip-hop crossover going on at the time. VERY of its time.

It's just a boring album which frankly is the WORST kind of Kylie. She seemed bored promoting it at the time too.

I have since (the other day) discovered that it WASN'T actually a contract obliging album. She apparently fulfilled that with Rhythm Of Love. :o You learn something every day.

She might have been wise to take a break after the massive ROL. It's amazing that we're still on one album every year at the moment and the speed in which she's evolving is incredible. Pop was moving much quicker than R&B or alternative was in this period.

Also ALL THE UNCREDITED SAMPLES! S(A)W were such scoundrels! She cowrote this with Mike Stock too I think.

Like "Shocked" I feel compelled to do both versions of Finer Feelings, I don't know which version I'm most familiar with, and didn't realise that there were two distinct versions.

09 Finer Feelings - I don't think this is the version I know, but I love it. More R&B style drum loops and production akin to Lisa Stansfield and other contemporaries. It's just such a great song. It could have sat very nicely on ROL and yet it does feel like a step forward, and a more mature sound. So far this feels like the bridge between bubblegum Kylie and indie Kylie.

10 Finer Feelings - this is the version I know but I think I know a 7" version, if that exists. I'm listening to the 12" version on YouTube. It's glorious. For some reason I was expecting (from memory) that this was going to be an uptempo version, but it's very similar, just given a more downtempo house vibe compared to the more R&B original. It's actually perfect for her as well. I love how trippy it is, harking some of the Enigma / early chillout stuff and also what was probably slowly emerging in the clubs that led to the Bristol trip hop scene the same year. ON THE PULSE KYLIE. Worth mentioning also that I WORSHIP Brothers In Rhythm who, for a couple of years there, were as prevalent as the US house legends like Morales and Knuckles in churning out the best piano house bangers as the dance music scene was peaking. I'm KEEPING this 12" version also, it's EPIC. The fade out is to die for.

:o that you've listened to the 12" BIR mix of Finer Feelings. It's a masterpiece!

02 If You Were With Me Now - OK I'm having an OMF moment because I've only just realised that "If You Were With Me Now" and "Where The Wild Roses Grow" are two different songs, because my blurred Kylie memory just remembers her doing a duet with some bloke and the title having a long name (and yes I'm aware that WTWRG is Nick Cave and sounds nothing like this)

I'd just never separated them before. I was expecting some deep droll and miserable guitar music so this took a MIGHTY brain swerve. Anyway this is even more shit than I was expecting - if you're going to do an R&B duet, why would you do some soppy balladry that would have sounded dated even in 1991? It also sounds like a Christmas song which isn't helping. Couldn't be more out of place if it tried. And this was a SINGLE? I guess that's what happens when you attempt a MOR R&B album after an album of rave-pop anthems... the record label must have been SCREWING :D

I think @Sheena is a fan of IYWWMN if my memory serves me well. It was a hit. Keith Washington was an American R&B singer who I hadn't heard of before then (or since even!).

She looks gorgeous in the video though.

06 Let's Get To It - oh here comes the new jill swing :D I was expecting more, honestly. It never really gets out of second gear. Surprised to see that this is still Stock/Waterman because this is a carbon copy of the Color Me Badd / NKOTB and other New Jack groups of the time. It's just a bit vapid, but I'm still enjoying it, because it's SO 1991. Also just noticed she hasn't put the title track as the closer - well that's unfortunate.

I think @Sheena is a fan of IYWWMN if my memory serves me well. It was a hit. Keith Washington was an American R&B singer who I hadn't heard of before then (or since even!).

She looks gorgeous in the video though.

Yeah I realised after it started that I've heard of him, but I couldn't hum any of his songs. It's a bit adult R&B which is also a bit odd for her back then, but if she wanted that direction she should have gone for someone more prolific. Maybe Luther was unavailable (and Lionel was off with a broken voice at the time)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom