funky does Kylie: "DISCO" (2020)

@funky - since you've actually taken the time out to listen to the extended BIR mix of Finer Feelings you will have to do the same for their reworkings of Confide In Me and Where Is The Feeling? on the next album because both mixes completely transform the songs (the latter Soundtrack mix is over 13 minutes long!)

06 Right Here Right Now - this is back to SAW 2.0 which I've never realised before is actually closer to the dance music at the time than it is the pop music. But they always seem to ruin it with the dated 80s vocal and drum machine effects. This is fun, but production wise it feels like a step back. This would do well with a house remix, there's definitely something in here.

@funky - since you've actually taken the time out to listen to the extended BIR mix of Finer Feelings you will have to do the same for their reworkings of Confide In Me and Where Is The Feeling? on the next album because both mixes completely transform the songs (the latter Soundtrack mix is over 13 minutes long!)

yes remind me

Kylie has a habit of recycling song titles. There is another song in her discography with that title - her collaboration with Giorgio Moroder in the 2010s.

Like "Shocked" I feel compelled to do both versions of Finer Feelings, I don't know which version I'm most familiar with, and didn't realise that there were two distinct versions.

09 Finer Feelings - I don't think this is the version I know, but I love it. More R&B style drum loops and production akin to Lisa Stansfield and other contemporaries. It's just such a great song. It could have sat very nicely on ROL and yet it does feel like a step forward, and a more mature sound. So far this feels like the bridge between bubblegum Kylie and indie Kylie.

10 Finer Feelings - this is the version I know but I think I know a 7" version, if that exists. I'm listening to the 12" version on YouTube. It's glorious. For some reason I was expecting (from memory) that this was going to be an uptempo version, but it's very similar, just given a more downtempo house vibe compared to the more R&B original. It's actually perfect for her as well. I love how trippy it is, harking some of the Enigma / early chillout stuff and also what was probably slowly emerging in the clubs that led to the Bristol trip hop scene the same year. ON THE PULSE KYLIE. Worth mentioning also that I WORSHIP Brothers In Rhythm who, for a couple of years there, were as prevalent as the US house legends like Morales and Knuckles in churning out the best piano house bangers as the dance music scene was peaking. I'm KEEPING this 12" version also, it's EPIC. The fade out is to die for.
Yeah I agree that the BIR remix is a 10. A big improvement on the original imo. Definitely my fav single from this album

07 Live And Learn - More S/W but this is closer to Finer Feelings in that it feels a bit more like good pop in 1991. And her voice is cleaner and clearer and the song is all the better for it. I like the gospel leanings here, which evokes some of the club music at the time. This reminds me a bit of "The Best Things In Life Are Free".

07 No World Without You - OK I wasn't liking this at first because I was hungry for more early 90s pop/dance but this has a nice melody and chord sequence, and her voice sounds lovely. Nothing groundbreaking but a nice change of pace. The whole album is very R&B influenced, even though it's a clear pop album, there's different influences all over the album, including this one.

07 Live And Learn - More S/W but this is closer to Finer Feelings in that it feels a bit more like good pop in 1991. And her voice is cleaner and clearer and the song is all the better for it. I like the gospel leanings here, which evokes some of the club music at the time. This reminds me a bit of "The Best Things In Life Are Free".

Technically these songs are Mike Stock and Kylie co-writes. Pete rarely had much of a hand in them aside from suggesting the odd title or two.

What is REALLY clear from this album though is that Matt Aitken was the most talented one of the three.

So Kylie apparently went to town on the clubbing scene in the early 90s. So much so that an idea was suggested that she release two songs under a pseudonym on the circuit to garner the reaction.

Those songs, though sounding nothing like her next album are a bit of a precursor to it. They were covered in Mixmag at the time. You may want to listen - they are Do You Dare and Closer. They come from this era.

04 I Guess I Like It Like That - this is all over the place :D one minute it's a bit C&C Music Factory, the next minute it's 2 Unlimited... I guess some would love the 2 Unlimited sound here, which was all over Dutch/German house scene at the time, but I have no time for it. It's reminded me how much artists were flitting back and forth between dance and R&B at this time - Madonna on Erotica, Prince on Diamonds & Pearls, Janet on janet... so it's interesting to explore other artists from a period and pick up on influences that are very of the time.

You could say that about the whole album really... it's a fun experiment, and it doesn't know what it wants to be, but in playing with sounds from a very exciting time in pop, I've quite enjoyed it! It's no ROL, but then I don't know if anything can be at this point...

Technically these songs are Mike Stock and Kylie co-writes. Pete rarely had much of a hand in them aside from suggesting the odd title or two.

What is REALLY clear from this album though is that Matt Aitken was the most talented one of the three.

where was he? I'm just going by wikipedia notes, but I see he's absent from the album.

So Kylie apparently went to town on the clubbing scene in the early 90s. So much so that an idea was suggested that she release two songs under a pseudonym on the circuit to garner the reaction.

Those songs, though sounding nothing like her next album are a bit of a precursor to it. They were covered in Mixmag at the time. You may want to listen - they are Do You Dare and Closer. They come from this era.

Do You Dare is a total ripoff DJH ft Stefy "Think About" but I do like it.

Closer reminds me of the Fluke remix of Big Time Sensuality so I'll give this credit, as it came first. It's quite an edgy sound for 1991. Although it does drift into eurohouse territory midway and that spoils it for me.

Closer reminds me of the Fluke remix of Big Time Sensuality so I'll give this credit, as it came first. It's quite an edgy sound for 1991. Although it does drift into eurohouse territory midway and that spoils it for me.
Thats where I started really liking it :D

Well I did enjoy that. Not nearly enough new jill (@Eddie you liar) but lots of different 1991 sounds melded into one, creating a bit of a messy but fun pot of tunes. Definitely a step back from ROL, but not in any way a disaster.

Two songs added to my playlist but only one song added to my current Top 10 - Finer Feelings remix in at #2, with SBIT holding on at #1.

Current Kylie playlist:
Look My Way (Kylie)
Enjoy Yourself (Enjoy Yourself)
Step Back In Time (Rhythm Of Love)
What Do I Have To Do (Rhythm Of Love)
The World Still Turns (Rhythm Of Love)
Shocked (Rhythm Of Love)
Things Can Only Get Better (Rhythm Of Love)
Rhythm Of Love (Rhythm Of Love)
I Am The One For You (Rhythm Of Love)
Too Much Of A Good Thing (Let's Get To It)
Finer Feelings (Brothers In Rhythm 12" mix / Let's Get To It)

Current Top Ten:
1. Step Back In Time (Rhythm Of Love)
2. Finer Feelings (Brothers In Rhythm 12" mix / Let's Get To It)
3. Shocked (Rhythm Of Love)
4. What Do I Have To Do (Rhythm Of Love)
5. Look My Way (Kylie)
6. One Boy Girl (Rhythm Of Love)
7. Things Can Only Get Better (Rhythm Of Love)
8. Enjoy Yourself (Enjoy Yourself)
9. The World Still Turns (Rhythm Of Love)
10. Rhythm Of Love (Rhythm Of Love)

Last edited:
Janet is sampled on Too Much Of A Good Thing and not credited (the cheek).

what was the story though? Were they ultimately rejected for the album? Where they ever released as white labels or promo singles? I can imagine them gaining interest in the clubs at the time.

what was the story though? Were they ultimately rejected for the album? Where they ever released as white labels or promo singles? I can imagine them gaining interest in the clubs at the time.
She was beset by credibility issues and the clubs wouldn't play her songs so these were white label releases credited to Angel K.

Taking it upon myself to educate @funky on the key non-album tracks from the first three albums:

"I Am the One for You" (Rhythm of Love outtake)

"We Know the Meaning of Love" (B-side to Tears on My Pillow)

"Made in Heaven" (B-side to Je Ne Sais Pas Pourqui)

I Am The One For You is fucking ace! That should have been on the album, but maybe they felt it was too similar to the other singles. It's certainly singles worthy. She was in peak Kylie mode in this era wasn't she?

The other two are very much that early Kylie sound, although the middle one isn't bad actually.. I prefer it to most of the album.

I Am The One For You is great, and I see it's on Spotify.. I'm adding it to my playlist!

It sounds a lot like the classic house song "Love Can't Turn Around" by Farley Jackmaster Funk and Darryl Pandy, which incidentally is currently charting in the UK as a Pete Tong cover.

Incidentally, as we are wrapping up the PWL years and since it was mentioned in @dUb 's thread, have you heard Kylie's debut single @funky ?

and the b-side, Kylie's cover of the Haywoode classic Getting Closer:

And the other bside (RelateableKylie):

These are NOT SAW productions.

Last edited:
You have literally 5 songs left to hear and that's the entirety of her PWL output!

I'm not the biggest fan of Finer Feelings as a song, but I do think it's a critical part of her discography. It's just impossible to imagine the likes of Sinitta and Sonia releasing something that sophisticated.

Ooh I forgot about "Getting Closer". I am quite fond. Now "Glad to be Alive" - happily forgot that one existed.

What's coming next, who wants to give me a preview?

I know there's some STONKING singles across the next two albums, but my blurred memory is giving me obscure/difficult era/non commercial/real music vibes about them... I could of course could be COMPLETELY wrong...

You might want to do the two singles from Greatest Hits (1992) next before leaving PWL behind. I’m afraid they aren’t stonking.

There was a greatest hits in 1992? :o I had no idea. I thought that big double album she did in the early 00s was her first collection.

Just IMAGINE being LADY FUNK and having all those BSIDES to discover when he's finished this...

There was a greatest hits in 1992? :o I had no idea. I thought that big double album she did in the early 00s was her first collection.
It went to #1!

The singles were a cover of Celebration (crap) and What Kind Of Fool? (FAB but I suspect not your bag)

Don’t miss the third new song, Where In The World.

(Which is alright but nowt special)

I was wondering whether Say The Word might be @funky 's bag but I can't decide if I like it or not either.

Just Wanna Love You is an early PWL b-side which I like but everyone seems to despise.

Oh I know What Kind Of Fool… that was a single was it not

Indeed, #14 which is criminal given how good it is, but her stock was low and the PWL sound wasn’t exactly terribly popular anymore.

• Sad
Reactions: dUb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom