funky's journey into random obscure 90s R&B tracks

Funky

User
Anyone up for this? :D

So as a combination of lockdown and the ease of access to music thanks to Spotify, I've spent the last 2 years rediscovering the 80s and 90s and it's been an absolute joy discovering and rediscovering music from my youth. I do have an 80s thread idea lined up for some point down the line, in the meantime here's a bit of a throwaway selection of lost R&B tracks that might be of use to SOMEONE OR OTHER

No list or countdown, just bits n bobs. I might do a playlist later. Anyways, enjoy...

The Braxtons - LADI

Taken from their debut album, better known for the minor hit singles "The Boss" and "Slow Flow", this song stuck out to me thanks to being added to Spotify. Never had the album and never heard this track before. It stood out for its obvious nod to the melody from MJ's "Lady In My Life" and a very catchy/powerful lead vocal which reminds me of Eternal (tell me that money note at 2:25 is not classic Esther). Typical 90s harmonies with a 70s backdrop, gorgeous.

Last edited:
Dana Dawson - Dignified

You know, her from "3 Is Family" fame... Can I just first of all say that the Black Butterfly album, which I also never heard before this year, is actually brilliant. A mixture of all the various pop-R&B sounds of the mid 90s, it's a VERY catchy selection of tunes considering she's not particularly famous or successful nor does she have one of the biggest voices in R&B. Better known for "3 Is Family" and "Got To Give Me Love" from the same album, this is my favourite from a very good album.

Deni Hines - It's Not Over

So I had to do some reading up on this one. I do vaguely remember Deni Hines as one of those late 90s artists who struggled unsuccessfully to break through the clutter with anything more than a couple of minor hits, but t'internet is telling me that Deni was active for most of the decade, including an album from 1992 that included this lost gem. It was included on her 2000 collection album Delicious and I always thought it sounded much more classic 80s sounding, so discovering that it's actually from much earlier than her more famous work in the late 90s now makes sense. It has a rich power pop production very similar to the retro pop that's hitting hard right now, so probably why I've been drawn to it this year.

Deni was better known for her minor hits "It's Alright", "I Like The Way" and "Joy" before disappearing in the early noughties. The Delicious collection is a bit of a hodge podge honestly, trying all sorts of different sounds, but this is a very mainstream ballad with a lush, classic production.

Also I didn't know she was Australian. She had 2 Top 40 hits in the UK but 3 in her homeland, including a Top 4 hit with "It's Alright". "I Like The Way" also went to #4 in the US dance chart.

Charlene Smith - Feel The Good Times

Classic mid 90s vibes here. I feel like I DID know this song back in the day, but not very well. Probably on some swing compilation of some kind. Rediscovered when I found the album of the same name on Spotify. Don't know much about her beyond this, but this is just a very catchy if safe banger. That flute hook is very reminiscent of the era.

Jade - I Wanna Love You

Poor Jade, completely overshadowed because of the ill-timed release of their debut album in the same time period as "Funky Divas" and "Oooh on a TLC Tip". They didn't stand a chance. SWV and Brownstone followed and they had to settle for a lower pecking order, which was unfortunate considering how monumental their bigger track "Don't Walk Away" was. They just didn't seem to bring anything original to the mix. But they do have a good mix of stonking tunes, including this track which just SCREAMS early 90s, and in fact it's basically a carbon copy of Color Me Badd's "I Wanna Sex You Up" from the year before. Every Day Of The Week is also a cracker, but probably better known.

Wiki tells me that this was actually a top 20 hit in both the US and UK; I genuinely don't recall it.

Juice - Best Days

As far as faceless girl groups go, this song was SUCH a bop. I had the CD single to this and remember it well at the time, even though it only reached the lofty heights of #48. They were a Danish trio that I think were signed to a UK distribution deal but a lack of hit single sent them packing quickly. Again, a very cluttered market at the time. It was quite a fresh departure for me when it came out, being a slinky groove in the midst of the more trendy tinny R&B that was taking over at the time. It's so shimmery and summery. Rediscovered thanks to Spotify, I still love this.

Not so much obscure as it was a 'hit' but she's not known for this song at all and I think it's MARVELLOUS, definitely her best. Bopping along to this as we speak.

This forgotten follow up to the ubiquitous "Finally" is absolutely tremendous, with a bit of a UK R&B sound. The album, by the way, is great...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom