Girls5eva (Tina Fey-adjacent girl group comedy series)

"The Maskical" a Musical :disco:
pp,840x830-pad,1000x1000,f8f8f8.u2.jpg

But having finished season two, it’s not as good as the first but I still enjoyed it. Wicki is the obvious standout but the rest of the cast is good, including all the supporting roles. Thoroughly looking forward to the third season.

Just started this. A bit uneven but very much up my street. Sara Barielles isn't really working for me as a comedy actress in this lineup, though I guess that she's more or less playing the straight man.

I'm not sure if they're being this specific as the jokes are generally very broad, but the group in their heyday is basically Dream, isn't it? Same time period, more or less a one-hit wonder (JUSTICE FOR THIS IS ME :evil: ) and even the one member who was transparently a lesbian. :D

I think they take bits and pieces from several pop bands throughout the years, but yeah D:Ream seems to be the blueprint. Whenever they show their videos in flashbacks they're the ones who pop into my head immediately.

Wickie is some sort of mashup between Nicole Scherzinger and Beyoncé for me. Paula is an obvious nod to Chris what's his name from 'NSync who was OBVIOUSLY older than Justin and company; the same could apply to Geru at a stretch. Summer could be any Destiny's Child replacement who didn't have any solos :disco: or better yet, a female Joey Fatone.

My partner pointed out that Wickie is basically Titus Andromedon rewritten as a female character, and I can totally see it.

Enjoyed it still but it was the weakest of the seasons for me.

Something is quite off this Season. I know the switch from Peacock to Netflix would have some effect but I dunno, it feels like they've dumbed it down further and turned it into a quasi-30 Rock/Kimmy Schmidt concoction, even the ending credits look like they were pulled from the latter. The cut/throwback scenes are clumsy and Lutz, don't get me wrong was a good character in 30 Rock even though he had like 3 lines per episode, doesn't bring a lot.

That said, Renee Elise has to be the best of the bunch, I love it when they're in the joke and her line delivery is unmatched; Gloria comes a close second, I love her. "HO SPICE, but don't write it down!"

I quite like the throwback scenes, they're one of the saving graces, to be fair.

But yes, Percy (I had to even look up his character name) appears to be an entirely pointless addition, though sidelining the boring men at home was a good move.

There was a lot about this series I liked, in fairness. The one-two punch of Dawn telling a story which ended with "someone called me a cunt in the Duane Reade" followed by the basketball player's delivery of "That was a longer response than I anticipated" made me laugh so much I had to pause it for a bit to get my breath back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom