Gorecki: Symphony No. 3; performed by Beth Gibbons (& Orchestra)

octophone

Prole Art Threat
I figured this was the closest forum for this.

From a concert given late 2014, Domino have just released this. The Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Krysztof Penderecki (!) with Beth Gibbons as the soprano.

This 1992 edition of the piece by the London Sinfonietta is probably my single favourite orchestral recording ever so I was a wee bit nervy going into this. No need; it's stunning. Gibbons sounds quite different in the higher register but her distinctive vibrato is present and correct and she has clearly poured herself into the task. It comes in a bit strong on the cellos on the first movement but, hey, no biggie.

A short "trailer" is on YouTube. I bought the edition with a DVD of the film.

Oh my. Having just had a quick listen on iTunes, this sounds like a MUST!

It’s already emotionally excruciating to say the very least, so God knows what state I’ll be in once I’ve had 45 minutes of Mother Morbid trilling all over it

Last edited by a moderator:
I just gave it a little listen, but clearly it needs to be properly savoured, if not devoured. I think I may make it the soundtrack to an extra long bath tonight. In the dark.

It’s already emotionally excruciating to say the very least, so God knows what state I’ll be in once I’ve had an hour and a half of Mother Morbid trilling all over it

There's a certain shiver that comes over me during the first movement that no other piece of music has ever managed to generate. So you'll know what to expect.

The Guardian review suggests that Mother Morbid’s vocal renders it “more harrowing” if one can dare imagine such a thing. I’m very impressed that she sings it all in Polish. All that szcz-ing :weed:

This is so bonkers in that it so easily could have been completely missed live (presuming it was performed live?) yet because it was recorded it’s now likely to outlive Portishead’s own music and indeed all of us as mere mortals - this could indeed be the ultimate reading of one of humanities GREATEST MUSICAL WORKS.

Considering all of this, made it QUITE the musical weight. It is of course absolutely completely and utterly sublime and something i will certainly be listening to again and again until the day i die :disco:

I can't stop listening to it - I just keep putting it back on when it finishes. My album of the year thus far, for sure.

Well I simply cannot wait any longer. I am heading down to Rough Trade to buy this RIGHT NOW

it's a challenge for me thus far. i mean i appreciate it greatly but it wears me out a bit.

:D I’ve just pressed play and, knowing who’s about to turn up sounding like death’s daughter after her 25th nervous breakdown, I think it may well end up redefining something being a BIT MUCH

Can’t wait to pop it on at PARTIES :disco:

here's video of beth having a gay old time singing the second movement.

The live performance film opens this Friday. I think I'd like to see it, but I'll very much need to be in the mood.

I bought the editions with the DVD but I haven't really been in the right place to handle the audio and video at the same time (!).

I bought the editions with the DVD but I haven't really been in the right place to handle the audio and video at the same time (!).

Is the cinematic release just the same as the DVD, do you know? I think I'd rather watch it at home.

Is the cinematic release just the same as the DVD, do you know? I think I'd rather watch it at home.

I don't, to be honest. I can't see how much they could add but I would imagine hearing the piece at cinema volume in a decent room could be quite the experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom