House of Gucci

You hit her with the Gucci?

• Total voters
All the actors seemed like they were in different movies, Gaga was the only one to pitch her performance right between dramatic and camp. Jared Leto was astonishingly bad.

I'm conflicted about this film because it was slickly shot and I was entertained throughout, but I feel the script let things down. The breakdown of their marriage which is obviously the biggest inflexion point in the story is never actually explored fully

he starts being mean to her in one scene, then tells her to stop messing in his family affairs that night, then proceeds to do exactly as she suggested and then asks for a divorce

Shame because I feel there was potential here but they rushed through a lot of plot to end up in another RICH PEOPLE BEHAVING BADLY film. Maybe this would have suited a MINI SERIES better, as it is it's a 7 out of 10 Godfather.

Gaga was amazing in the PERFORMATIVE part of her role but really flatlining when having to show REAL EMOTION or not bouncing off other actors. The movie is all hers though, and when she disappears for a while in the final act, the whole thing suffers. Adam Driver's character was SEVERELY UNDERWRITTEN and UNDERPLAYED, Pacino was the MVP and Jared Leto was so terrible he was brilliant. The scenes between him and Pacino were hilarious.

Also, I'm knocking a point off because I've just spent two hours down a LADY GUCCI rabbit hole and the film has taken SO MANY LIBERTIES it's unreal :D

Oh and special mention to the ANNA WINTOUR appearance. WTF was that?! Straight out of a French & Saunders sketch.

I'm conflicted about this film because it was slickly shot and I was entertained throughout, but I feel the script let things down. The breakdown of their marriage which is obviously the biggest inflexion point in the story is never actually explored fully

he starts being mean to her in one scene, then tells her to stop messing in his family affairs that night, then proceeds to do exactly as she suggested and then asks for a divorce

Shame because I feel there was potential here but they rushed through a lot of plot to end up in another RICH PEOPLE BEHAVING BADLY film. Maybe this would have suited a MINI SERIES better, as it is it's a 7 out of 10 Godfather.

Gaga was amazing in the PERFORMATIVE part of her role but really flatlining when having to show REAL EMOTION or not bouncing off other actors. The movie is all hers though, and when she disappears for a while in the final act, the whole thing suffers. Adam Driver's character was SEVERELY UNDERWRITTEN and UNDERPLAYED, Pacino was the MVP and Jared Leto was so terrible he was brilliant. The scenes between him and Pacino were hilarious.

Also, I'm knocking a point off because I've just spent two hours down a LADY GUCCI rabbit hole and the film has taken SO MANY LIBERTIES it's unreal :D

I found a good documentary on YouTube about the whole affair and she is just an irredeemable villain. Zero remorse and what the movie doesn’t show is that the marriage was done for like 10 years when she decided to kill him.

It was absolutely TERRIBLE but I did enjoy it.

The scene where they booked the hitman literally had me laughing uncontrollably. It was appalling! At least twice in the film I reached over to Mr Sheena and said “what the fuck am I watching?”

And how Gaga is getting Oscar nod talk for this, I don’t know. Maybe because of the sheer nonsense surrounding her- what the fuck Leto and, admittedly to a lesser extent, Hayek were up to I don’t know.

Yes, agree with the above about it jumping about too. The “divorce” came out of nowhere. And why was there only one kid mentioned when they had two?

10/10. It’s time to take out the trash :disco:

Wot Sheena said. The movie is terrible, but I genuinely think Gaga was amazing. She pulled it off way better than I imagined she could have, based on her ‘acting’ in A Star Is Born’.

I was mostly confused by the timing of everything. Looking up the real story and they actually married in 1972, but in the film they met in 1978 clearly during the Disco era. Films set over a number of years with a Pop music soundtrack usually use it to help with the setting (e.g. Goodfellas, Forrest Gump etc), but this played a hell of a lot of random Donna Summer throughout the film. I instantly recognised the extended intro to George Michael’s Faith when she was walking down the aisle, thinking “OK, so they’re using Faith for the church organ… hmm, that’s interesting”… but couldn’t believe it when the actual song started playing over the backdrop of their 1970s wedding. Then Heart of Glass was playing apparently to signify the start of the 1990s? Bizarre.

Saw this last night...i kind of enjoyed it despite it being quite DULL, but also a bit charming and well made in terms of how it was shot, the soundtrack and the style...I did think if this came on late at night flicking through the channels it would be hard to keep engaged in it, so I am glad I saw it at the cinema, for Gaga, but the rest of it did not blow me away.

This was OUTRAGEOUS fun despite making SHIT ALL SENSE the more I thought about it :D And yes, an immediate camp classic.

I'm seriously agog that this is still in the Oscar conversation now that it's out in the world and people have actually seen it. So, so bad.

Yes there is probably hate-watch/drinking game potential for it, but it doesn't rise to the level of Showgirls for me, chiefly because large chunks of it were so FUCKING BORING. Was Ridley Scott asleep behind the camera? The direction was so inert!

To be fair, Gaga was the most credible performance in the film, you could sense she was really trying. But a likely Best Actress nominee? PISH!

She had absolutely ZERO chemistry with Adam Driver, though I mostly blame him for that. I don't know whether it's an accurate impersonation of the man, but he was so low energy and just seemed embarassed to be there.

Jared Leto - what can you even say? The comic highlight for sure, but again in what BIZARRO UNIVERSE is that being talked up as a potential Oscar performance? He was absolutely appalling!

The fact that every attempt at an Italian accent was WILDLY different from everyone else never stopped being funny. I think my favourite was Jeremy Irons who sort of attempted it in his first scene and then just reverted to FULL BRITISH.

Even the fashion bits looked like shit! The nightclub scene at the start (at which the DJ apparently just hit play on Donna Summer's Greatest Hits and then LEFT) looked hilariously cheap.

I am completely bewildered.

I really appreciate her commitment to winning Best Actress With Dissociative Identity Disorder.

Everyone's reaction:
Z6RV.gif

You know she'd kill each and every one of those ladies Patrizia Reggiani-style to win an Oscar without a SHRED of REGRET :D

Ugh so much cringe

Bless Gaga trying to pass off her realisation that you don't need to take up an addiction or two and cut out all your loved ones to play a part as "a really important lesson for a lot of people."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom