How many of the Popjustice Twenty Quid Music Prize 2019 nominees can you hum?

I can hum this many

• Total voters

dUb

AH AH AH
Pronouns
He/Him
I've never felt so out of touch :shy:

I know we're all old now but fuck me :oi:

Shortlist:
  • About Work The Dancefloor by Georgia
  • Baby by Clean Bandit (feat Marina and Luis Fonsi)
  • Blame It On Your Love by Charli XCX (feat Lizzo)
  • Different Things by Gracey
  • Electricity by Silk City feat Dua Lipa
  • Fingers by Zayn
  • The Human Stone by KDA (feat Angie Stone)
  • Interstellar Disco by Oscar Scheller with Pawws
  • It's Not Living (If It's Not With You) by The 1975
  • Nothing Breaks Like A Heart by Mark Ronson (feat Miley Cyrus)
  • Phone Down by Stefflon Don (feat Lil Baby)
  • Ritual by Tiesto, Jonas Blue and Rita Ora

Two. And I don't REALLY know "Baby" all that well, just the word "BABY, BABY" :D

The only one I properly know and could singalong to is "Nothing Breaks Like A Heart"

...and, to be honest, BIOYLis really "Track 10".

• Fingers by Zayn
omg I am a 14 y.o. girl?

I don't know about hum as I've only heard the Tiesto/Rita song once, but I know that one plus Clean Bandit, Charli XCX, Silk City and Mark Ronson

Not so much humming but I'd be able to mumble at least some of the chorus for:
  • The Human Stone by KDA (feat Angie Stone)
The KDA one is a bit of a swizz to be fair as it is not really based on the song in that form.

About Work The Dancefloor is completely wonderful.

It turns out I liked Interstellar Disco enough to save on Spotify then forget about, and I hadn't placed that he was also responsible for the recent song with Lily Allen too.

5 and one of them (about work the dancefloor) is a certainly a contender for pop song of the year chez ameraal.

actually my list is exactly the same as ff but though i've heard the 1975 and kda songs i couldn't hum them.

haven't heard the tiesto however, i don't believe. and i prefer late night feelings (and true blue) to nothing breaks like a heart.

(about work the dancefloor) is a certainly a contender for pop song of the year chez ameraal.

I've just YT it and went "oh so it's THAT song :shock:"

I've heard it loads at the gym but in remix form, I always thought it was some random song by Carly Rae Jepsen

This is a really shit list - there's been a lot of great British pop in the last year but Mr PJ seems to be living in some alt timeline where everything has to be basic. Electricity?!

If I had to pick 12 nominees:

BANKS - Gimme
Charli XCX ft. Troye Sivan - 1999
Dido - Still On My Mind
Ellie Goulding ft. Swae Lee - Close to Me
Folly Rae - You Don't Love Me
James Blake ft. Travis Scott - Mile High
The Japanese House - Maybe You're The Reason
Jax Jones ft. Mabel & Rich The Kid - Ring Ring
Mabel - Don't Call Me Up
Rita Ora - Let You Love Me
Shura - BKLYNLDN
Years & Years - All For You

NOT THAT THIS LIST MATTERS AT ALL (:D) but I genuinely rather gagged they've randomly snubbed arguably the two biggest British pop songs of the year (besides Lewis Capaldi) with Mabel's Don't Call Me Up & Rita's Let You Love Me (both of which are better than anything on the list IN MY OPINION).

I’d also have featured more British urban music, which is by far the dominant chart force at the moment. Ray BLK’s Run Run, AJ Tracey/Jorja’s Ladbroke Grove and Stormzy’s Vossi Bop are just as pop as anything on this list.
The snub towards the incredible Nao is also a disgrace. Any of the singles from Saturn would have worked, I’d have gone for Curiosity (best British pop song of the year..?) or Drive And Disconnect personally.

However this is a list that snubbed famously unpopular terrible pop song New Rules, so I’m not sure why I’m even bothering to write this post :D

Mabel – Don’t Call Me Up
Rita Ora – Let You Love Me
Georgia – About Work The Dancefloor
Nao – Curiosity
AJ Tracey/Jorja Smith – Ladbroke Grove
Stomzy – Vossi Bop
FKA Twigs – Cellophane
Ray BLK – Run Run
Charli XCX – 1999
The 1975 – Give Yourself A Try
Marina – To Be Human
Nimmo – No More

Would have been MY list :disco:
I took out Miley/Mark’s NBLAH as it feels only TECHNICALLY British to me.

I was also going to include To Be Human in mine but I thought I'd be immediately laughed out of the thread :D

I'm confused by the KDA nomination. It's just a remix of Wish I Didn't Miss You?

what is the Zayn song? need to investigate he's had some bangers

:D at whoever added "That Saxo Feeling" by The Rustie Lee Revue to the 2007 shortlist on Wikipedia

Mark and Miley. That's it. I'm aware of Marina and Clean Bandit but have completely forgotten how it goes. About half I've never even heard of.

And I have no idea who or what a Stefflon Don is, but seeing his/her/their name written down brings me out in hives.

I may be the sole person out of moopy who heard Zayn's Fingers a couple of times cause it was on some random new releases playlist on my Spotify for WEEKS. It's supposed to be a "curated" playlist based on some of most played choices. :googlyeyes:

And I have no idea who or what a Stefflon Don is, but seeing his/her/their name written down brings me out in hives.
UK rapper featured on Instruction by Jax Jones with Demi. Hurtin' Me is a fabulous "tropibop"

I may be the sole person out of moopy who heard Zayn's Fingers a couple of times cause it was on some random new releases playlist on my Spotify for WEEKS. It's supposed to be a "curated" playlist based on some of most played choices. :googlyeyes:
I've actually played the album multiple times trying to dig out some gems in the mould of the first record :D

Only 3 songs stuck out of 90 minutes of music but the splendid "Fingers" is one of them.

I surprised myself by knowing 7 of these given I don't exactly keep up with the charts these days.
  • Fingers by Zayn
  • Interstellar Disco by Oscar Scheller with Pawws
Only Baby and Ritual are true BANGERS/Z though.

UK rapper featured on Instruction by Jax Jones with Demi. Hurtin' Me is a fabulous "tropibop"

So is she Steph London, or Stefflon (as in rhymes with Teflon) Don (as in 'Hiya Don, I know I'm not allowed to speak to you anymore, but I'm just phoning to say I've shot myself')?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom