Into The Woods

If you go down to the woods today

• Total voters

Phoenix

I’m the hostess of the dinner
Pronouns
He/Him
So this is almost confirmed to start shooting by the end of the year with Meryl Streep and Johnny Depp probably starring in it.

Johnny Depp is in talks with Disney to join its bigscreen adaptation of the Broadway musical “Into the Woods.”

Meryl Streep is also in discussions with the Mouse House to join the production to play the evil witch. Rob Marshall (who helmed Disney’s fourth “Pirates of the Caribbean”) will direct the film.

Musical revolved around a childless baker and his wife who attempt to lift a family curse by journeying into the woods to confront the witch that put the spell on them. Along the way, they encounter Rapunzel, Cinderella, “Jack and the Beanstalk’s” Jack Little Red Riding Hood and other classic fairy tale characters.

There is no production start date yet for the film.

David Krane (“Chicago,” “Nine”) is working on the music for the film, while James Lapine penned the script, based on his book for the musical.

John DeLuca, who previously produced Marshall’s “Chicago” and “Nine,” will serve as producer on “Into the Woods.”

Disney declined to comment.

If a deal makes, the way Depp’s upcoming schedule would work out is he would finish production on Alcon’s “Transcendence,” which he is currently shooting, jump into the crime pic “Black Mass” in the fall and move on to “Into the Woods” in early 2014.

He is repped by UTA and can be seen next in Disney’s “The Lone Ranger.”

There's also this blurb from the ever trusty Wikipedia page which adds a whole bunch of very interesting actors.

A reading of the updated screenplay took place in October 2012, with Nina Arianda as the Baker's Wife, Victoria Clark as Cinderella's Mother/Granny/Giant, James Corden as the Baker, Donna Murphy as the Witch, Christine Baranski as Cinderella's Stepmother, Tammy Blanchard as Florinda, Ivan Hernandez as the Wolf, Megan Hilty as Lucinda, Cheyenne Jackson as Rapunzel's Prince, Allison Janney as Jack's Mother, Anna Kendrick as Cinderella, Michael McGrath as Steward/Mysterious Man, Laura Osnes as Rapunzel, Taylor Trensch as Jack, Casey Whyland as Little Red Riding Hood, and Patrick Wilson as Cinderella's Prince. The reading was directed by Rob Marshall.Reports also surfaced during that month and in January 2013 that Meryl Streep had been confirmed to play the Witch.During the latter month, it was reported that Janney had been confirmed to join the film as well.In March 2013, it was reported that film will begin shooting in October of the same year.

Last edited:
Christine Baranski :disco:

(though really I'd have been sold on the idea anyway with Merly in it and it sounds pretty much my kind of thing)

Last edited:
Chris Pine and Jake Gyllenhall are rumoured to be playing the princes.

Really? I've never seen it.

Marshall did well directing non-professional singers Penelope Cruz, Kate Hudson and Rene Zellweger.

Emily Blunt to play the baker's wife.

Christine Branski is also up for a role :disco:

Last edited:
Cast members now confirmed:

Meryl Streep : The Witch
Johnny Depp : The Wolf
James Corden : The Baker
Emily Blunt : The Bakers Wife
Chris Pine : Cinderella's Prince
Anna Kendrick : Cinderella
Billy Magnussen : Rapunzel's Prince
Mackenzie Mauzy : Rapunzel
Christine Baranski : Cinderella's stepmother
Lucy Punch : Lucinda
Tammy Blanchard : Florinda
Jack's mother : Tracey Ullman

Jack Huddlestone is rumoured for Jack but not confirmed yet.

Little Red Riding Hood, Granny, The Steward, The Baker's Father and The Baker's Mother have yet to be cast.

Some fantastic choices there I think. Corden is the big unknown factor. I hope he's got the chops for "No More" and "No One Is Alone".

Lucy Punch and Tammy Blanchard! How fantastic.

Has Emily Blunt sang on film before?

I don't think so but The Baker's Wife songs are not very demanding vocally.
Quite, definitely a character part. Same goes for Meryl. The Witch has a couple of amazing songs but nothing out of her range I don't think.

Cinderella, Jack and the Princes are the ones who really need to be able to deliver vocally.

Shame Megan Hilty didn't end up in this... that sitcom with Sean Hayes had better be worth it.

Though since it's NBC, it definitely will!

Shame Megan Hilty didn't end up in this... that sitcom with Sean Hayes had better be worth it.

Though since it's NBC, it definitely will!

Do they make you say things like that :(

We have a logo

fe739f18f766ae04e6ce866ac9eddfab_zps3d0aa19b.jpg

That logo's been around quite some time - I used it for the artwork for the Bernadette Peters soundtrack I found on the net and put on my iPod.

Well now it's sort of official as they used in the Disney expo last week.

Disappointing but not surprising

Speaking with a group of high school drama teachers, Sondheim revealed that the movie will feature some major plot changes. In the stage musical, the fairy tale characters find their happy endings at the end of Act One, only to realize they aren’t quite as content as they expected in Act Two. The musical takes a decidedly dour turn as disaster strikes the kingdom and bodies begin to rack up. Into The Woods essentially argues that the wish fulfillment of fairy tales has no application in the real world, where “witches can be right, giants can be good,” and anyone can make mistakes. But it seems that may no longer be the case now that Disney has their hands on the property.

MAJOR SPOILERS for the Into The Woods musical and movie. According to Sondheim, Rapunzel (Mackenzie Mauzy) will not die as she does in the stage show. It’s unclear what will happen to the song “Lament,” which the Witch (Meryl Streep) normally sings about the deceased Rapunzel. Nor will Cinderella’s Prince (Chris Pine) seduce the Baker’s Wife (Emily Blunt); also “probably” cut is the song “Any Moment” that takes place during their sexual dalliance. No word on what will become of the Baker’s Wife’s big song “Moments In The Woods,” which takes place after the Prince leaves. Another potential blow to the original text: Sondheim said Disney objected to the sexual undertone of the Big Bad Wolf (Johnny Depp) stalking Red Riding Hood (Lilla Crawford). All in all, it seems Disney would just prefer that the bad and uncomfortable stuff in life stay hidden and repressed, proving it learned nothing from its own Frozen.

The upside for musical fans is that, due to Disney “replotting” the Rapunzel story, Sondheim wrote a new song to cover the changes—perhaps the new song Streep described a few months ago. For his part, Sondheim is taking a very practical stance. When asked by a teacher how to deal with students frustrated with performing sanitized versions of plays, Sondheim said their feelings were justified, but further advised:

You have to explain to them that censorship is part of our puritanical ethics, and it’s something that they’re going to have to deal with. There has to be a point at which you don’t compromise anymore, but that may mean that you won’t get anyone to sell your painting or perform your musical. You have to deal with reality.

Too bad “dealing with reality” is no longer a lesson that can be learned from Into The Woods.

An "It's not a musical" trailer

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/D9i9JNp7OfM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oh my god this is there aren't enough :manson: in the world. Did they turn it into dialogue or is that simply for the trailer?? Also it's a musical why are they promoting it like a high budget episode of Once Upon A Time?

Last edited:
Yeah just for the trailer, like with Sweeney Todd.

This is similar to the way they promoted Frozen (focus on the goofy sidekicks and not the fact that it's a musical about female :o characters). Anyhow I'm not surprised, all the reports seemed to be hinting at a Disney-esque version.

Oh my god this is there aren't enough :manson: in the world. Did they turn it into dialogue or is that simply for the trailer?? Also it's a musical why are they promoting it like a high budget episode of Once Upon A Time?

My first thought looking at the pics was that it was basically OUAT, I REALLY hope not. The world does not need a big screen version of THAT (much as I enjoy it). Obv I am still super excited for Baranski in this and that pic just makes me even more excited :disco:

it looks like more of the SAME OLD SHIT :evil:

Leave fairytales to Disney etc etc

Meryl looks like a drag queen. Also the wolf is not naked like the musical.

Oh and still no proper trailer when the movie is out in two months does not inspire confidence.

Corden actually looks quite fit there. Damn. (although coincidentally also like a totally different person)

There was a one minute teaser without singing released online a few months back but no proper trailer as far as I know.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ImiIMBPO9kk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Still very little singing can be heard, looks good though.

It looks like a vintage Disney film, which is a compliment of the highest order.

Hopefully Chris Pine can sing as good as he looks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom