Into The Woods

If you go down to the woods today

• Total voters
Some singing in the new trailer

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2Byk9Is3TjY?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:disco: I'm excited, Anna Kendrick is very likeable and it seems that they are keeping the story intact (as they showed glimpses of the two scenes that are supposed to have been altered).

Meryl sounds fantastic but I could do with more singing.

Johnny Depp still looks shit, more like a cat.

Johnny Depp still looks shit, more like a cat.

I just showed my mum the new trailer (she's watched the Regent's Park open air theatre version) and she said "why have they turned the wolf into a cat if he's part of Red Riding Hood's story?"

I'm still impressed with the look of it. If it is very well received and big box office hit I could see it doing well in award season, for film, director and nomination number nineteen for Meryl.

There was a screening of this and word of mouth seems to be generally positive. Meryl, Kendrick and Pine are the supposed standouts.

Soundtrack out on the 16th.

There was a screening of this and word of mouth seems to be generally positive. Meryl, Kendrick and Pine are the supposed standouts.

Soundtrack out on the 16th.

This was fine, it felt to me like they were tripping over themselves to avoid any mature subjects and it harmed the flow. It felt more like a collection of clips.

The standout was Agony and it's a shame they cut the second version.

Last edited:
A cunt I went on a date with is in this. I hope it crashes and burns and he gets NOTHING BUT MISERY for his role as Villager #8.

Has this not been released in the UK or does no one give a fuck?

It's released today. I'm taking my mum to see it on Monday. I might watch the Regents Park version over the weekend.

I was toying between a 6 and 7 for this, quite disappointed with it actually. Perhaps I was setting my expectations too high, but it felt quite oddly paced, the first half was slow and the second half felt rushed. Not knowing the songs beforehand I only actually liked Agony, Stay With Me, Last Midnight which didn't help. Meryl, Anna and surprising Chris Pine were all great. Emily was good, obviously I would have loved more Baranski, but she was actually in it more than I expected anyway which was nice. I did really like the end of it, but by that point I was half wishing it to be over.

This was enjoyable enough, but ultimately a bit of a mess. I've never seen the stage musical so I'm not sure if the pacing is better there, but the sudden attempt to turn it all philosophical in the last 25 minutes just didn't work at all. Also it felt like the tone was very strange, generally very sanitised and Disney, but with a couple of quite dark things happening (but all strictly off-screen or in a OH BY THE WAY YEAH SHE'S DEAD way).

Also, the screen I was watching in was pretty packed, but when the credits rolled there was a massive communal rumble of dissatisfaction, followed by one woman loudly proclaiming to whoever she was watching with "Right, that is officially the LAST TIME I let you choose what we watch". :D

Last edited:
Yeah my screening was the same, I think a lot of people really did not know that it was a musical.

I loved this. It's one of my favourite musicals and I had high expectations but they were mostly met. The songs that were cut made sense for the storyline and although it was disappointing to lose out on a second round of Agony for Snow White and Sleeping Beauty to be introduced Rapunzel would have had to descend into mental illness. She deserved her happy ending.

And I did feel sorry for the Giant. Not just because it was Frances de la Tour but she didn't deserve to die that that. She'd been widowed and robbed and just needed someone to sit down and explain that vengeance wasn't the way forward.

The only thing I didn't really like was when Meryl was belting them out. After the naturalism of Les Mis it was so clearly mimed and she didn't seem to be letting rip on film whereas she was in the recording studio. Great performance and great vocal but they didn't match up.

Oh and Billy Magnussen in leather trousers.

And like the Hobbit films you can play a game of spot the ethnics. Oh look there's a black child in the village! Oh look there's a possibly Asian person in the place!

Well that was a lovely diverting bit of Inter-Fairy-Tale Wife Swap.

James Corden did well as James Corden as Matt Smith's landlord mate Craig in 'The Lodger' and 'Closing Time'. Marvellous Meryl tops her musical turn in Mamma Mia (I haven't seen 'The Iron Lady' so am unsure if she belts out a verse of 'True Blue' in that one) and is generally fabulous as per usual. The kid who played Jack was great although the less said about 'Riding Hood' the better...I spent the whole film hoping there'd be some shock decapitation scene thus sparing us that incessant voice.

It looked beautiful - I love forests and these locations/sets were perfect.

All in all, a glorious way to start my self-wean back onto films after a good 13 years avoiding them.

Last edited:
Oh, other than there were three 'Pine Nuts' ( :manson: ) sat a few seats along from me who just laughed at EVERY Chris Pine line and generally just swooned, oohed and aahed every time he was on screen. I found it amusing at first, but fucking hell it wore thin very quickly.

It was all a bit meh for me. I'd have been happy for it to finish when Meryl transformed from the witch into Madeline Ashton but no it dragged it on for another 45 minutes.

I think the pace was the problem after the 'happy ending'. And like VoR says, the tone just felt massively confused.

Agreed w/Sharla re: Meryl's mouth not matching her vocal.

I loved this. The stories were tied together fantastically and everyone played their role well. The biggest drawback has probably gone mentioned, that being the death of the giantess. It wouldn't have been quite as terrible had it not followed the song about forgiveness and subjectivity. It was corny yet it was a lovely message to base the story around, until they completely undermined it.

Otherwise though it was fantastic. So much of it was laugh out loud funny, particularly the prince song, the seduction scene in the forest and the part when the stepmother was mangling the feet of the sisters.

I saw this last night. Some disclosure:

1. I'm not familiar with the source material
2. I don't care for musicals

Yet I rather enjoyed it. I agree with comments about the pacing - it was essentially 2 films stuck together - but it was enjoyably nuts.

It was all a bit meh for me. I'd have been happy for it to finish when Meryl transformed from the witch into Madeline Ashton but no it dragged it on for another 45 minutes.

I saw this last night, and came to this thread to say EXACTLY the same thing.

I'm loving Dids working through the entire Disney+ BACK CAT

I remember this being mediocre but can't recall why. Corden obviously, but Meryl disappointed too. It's a fantastic score though and some of Stevie's best lyrics.

I'm loving Dids working through the entire Disney+ BACK CAT

I remember this being mediocre but can't recall why. Corden obviously, but Meryl disappointed too. It's a fantastic score though and some of Stevie's best lyrics.

Yes :D it’s all the various films I’ve missed since I’ve been in Japan. Recently I’ve caught up with Mary Poppins Returns, Terminator Dark Fate, Cruella, all the latest Pixars.

Almost done now, I’ve got Luca, Raya, live action Mulan, Hidden figures, Isle of Dogs, Battle Angel Alita… 😮‍💨

Oh just yes anyway way too much Corden, he wasn’t being that annoying apart from his character being a twat and his face being James Corden.

I thought Meryl was good, Blunt too. Kendrick capable as usual (but never more than that). Really wanted Red Riding Hood to die though, fucking hell

I understood what RuPaul used to complain about when I heard that opening song about wishes, what a DIN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom