Ireland 2022: Brooke - That’s Rich

Who should Ireland send?

• Brendan Murray - Real Love

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Completely un-"Eurovision" and would represent a huge step in the right direction :o

Well quite. Surely the Late Late crowd aren't exactly going to lap it up though.

There's always the chance of a jury landslide!

It’s 6-4-1-5 and is known as the “sensitive girl chord progression” apparently but let’s call it the “dramatic Schlager pop chord progression” in a Eurovision context…

These bangers all use it:

You can sing Hero along with the choruses of all of those…

In fact someone should do a mash-up of all the dramatic schlager 6415ers… these are just the ones that come to mind, I’m sure Melodifestivalen is flooded with them.

Dana International - Ding Dong uses a slightly adjusted version.

OMG I knew I should've paid attention to science in school

He won something called Last Singer Standing on RTE last year, and he works on the West End so should be reliable vocally. I'd say that's got an excellent chance!

Janet Grogan was in the final of that Last Singer Standing show as well. Looking at clips it seemed to have about 100 times the budget that the Late Late Show national final is clearly going to have.

It’s the first one I’ve put on repeat from Ireland’s lot.

That’s Rich is obviously more Radio 1 modern, but also a bit too ersatz for me.

It's definitely the kind of thing that does well in televised phone-in contests... has to be his to lose at this stage :o

Oh I do prefer Brooke a lot more. That one feels a bit 5th in a Melfest heat to me, granted that’s improvement for Ireland.

It’s decent but getting definite Bigger Than Us vibes there. Will walk the national final though.

I kind of love this now :shy: Did we know Nicky Byrne is the first listed songwriter?!

This and Janet's song are my own favourites of the bunch so far but Brooke would be such an exciting entry to go with (unlikely as it is :()

Turning out to be a strong selection though which is great!

Last edited:
Why does he growl the title line please? He's clearly going for :horny: but it doesn't make it.

Without wanting to piss on anybody’s chips, I can’t fathom how the word exciting could be used anywhere adjacent to this line-up.

It seems sadly that Ireland has fallen into the trap that the UK did a few years ago when we started doing national finals (and are still in really) and “making a step in the right direction” by fielding a load of songs that aren’t actively ropey, by and large well-produced and a bit Scandi without stopping to think how they’d fare in a line-up of 40 other songs.

It’s nice that they think they’re making a real effort here but every one of these would get totally lost at the contest proper.

6th song on now. He has a great voice and I like the verses a lot but I can’t get on board with that chorus

It’s kids chanting “yeah we’re gonna get out of it” over some trumpets 🥴

My rank:

1 Patrick
2 Janet
3 Brooke
4 Rachel
5 Brendan
6 Miles

I do still think Brooke would be the most exciting entry mind you

1. Patrick O'Sullivan - One Night, One Kiss, One Promise
2. Brooke - That's Rich
3. Janet Grogan - Ashes of Yesterday
4. Rachel Goode - I'm Loving Me
5. Brendon Murray - Real Love
6. Miles Graham - Yeah, We're Gonna Get Out Of It

Any of the top four would be decent enough entries (well, not Rachel, but she'd be the fun kind of flop) so on balance, not a terrible year by Irish standards!

Eurovision twitter generally seems to loathe Patrick's song, but I really think it's being underestimated. Not as a potential winner, but there's a case for Ireland doing Ireland and a big cheesy power ballad sung in a distinctively Irish accent is very that. I think it could do better than people think.

Reactions: dUb
Other than Brendan’s song which I still haven’t been able to bring myself to listen to in its entirety, I don’t actively dislike any of these.

Still, what an uninspiring bunch. None of them will do well at Eurovision so I am throwing my hat completely behind I’m Loving Me for a bit of fun for Euroclub nonsense. :disco:

I’d also be happy with Brooke as an entry and I guess it would be a move forward for Ireland but I can’t imagine I’ll care much about it come May once there are inevitably another handful of songs doing the same thing better.

1. Rachel
2. Brooke
3. Patrick
4. Janet
5. Miles
6. Brendan

• Sad
Hmm... nothing majorly competitive there is there?

Rachel - Obviously I'm in love with this sound, but... something a bit "lite" about it?
Brendan - No
Janet - Bland
Brooke - I like that it sounds like a modern tune, wouldn't mind if it were "BIGGER"
Patrick - I didn't come into this thinking a male would be my favourite but :WellThereWeAre:. It's catchy and had that euphoric-feel that can sometimes capture the Eurovision audience
Miles - Didn't Paolo Nutini die in about 2010?

1. Patrick
2. Brooke
3. Rachel
-- big gap--
4. Miles
5. Janet
--very big gap--
6. Brendan

• Care

Users who are viewing this thread

Back