It’s time we had a Brexit is a disaster thread

Funky

User
The problems are coming in thick and fast now, and while the media is covering a lot of it, people generally don’t seem to be arsed.

Boris is about to do a massive u-turn and offer 300 emergency visas to European farmers to come and help us slaughter pigs for food, as opposed to slaughtering pigs for the bonfire because we have nobody to make pork.

This is the latest in a series of u-turns that directly contradict his Brexit promises and reassurances.

He’s also been making jokes and being generally dismissive of the problem - operation Daft Boris to distract people from the issues.

His “we can do this alone because isn’t Britain great” mantra is in tatters and he’s not acknowledging it at all.

Why aren’t people connecting this supply chain mess to him and Brexit? How long can someone successfully throw out a “it’ll all be fine, chill out lol” message when it’s clearly not?

ALSO

These claims from high streets saying do your Xmas shopping early because we can’t guarantee we’ll have any turkeys and toys in December… that’s a new one isn’t it?

*stockpiles mistletoe*

"The Northern Ireland protocol is SHIT but we're hardballing the EU into changing it" is my favourite piece of full on bollocks this week.

Funny how less than 2 years ago it was the BEST THING EVER, recommended by every Brexit supporting bellend MP (and others) going and only required 5 hours scrutiny in parliament before everyone merrily voted for it :manson:

The schadenfreude in certain parts here has gone up the roof. It’s rather rewarding to see UK as a country (and of course not on the idividual level) to get punished for Brexit.

HOWEVER, sadly not all of these problems are because of Brexit. Problems with shipping and rising energy costs are everywhere in the world right now as an effect of the post-pandemic rise in productivity.

Don’t get me started on Northern Ireland

The very definition of Tory style English political imperialism

The lack of self awareness of “we know how to run your country better than you do” directive from the elitist band of etonians who’ve probably never set foot in Northern Ireland outside of the Belfast Radisson is disgusting.

The schadenfreude in certain parts here has gone up the roof. It’s rather rewarding to see UK as a country (and of course not on the idividual level) to get punished for Brexit.

HOWEVER, sadly not all of these problems are because of Brexit. Problems with shipping and rising energy costs are everywhere in the world right now as an effect of the post-pandemic rise in productivity.

Yup. But one of the main purposes of the EU is to share burdens such as global crises. The U.K. chose to manage these things on their own. So the pandemic is no excuse.

People don't seem overly arsed by the worst ever public health failures in their handling at the start of the pandemic or the 50,000 extra deaths attributable to austerity, either.

We just don't give a fuck any more.

What’s also upsetting (but rather admirable) is that the Brits would probably rather endure the crisis and get told that they can do it as a nation and come out stronger from it. You know the French or Italians would by now have changed Government (multiple times) had they been in same situation.

We just don't give a fuck any more.

I mean, this is it really isn't it?
If it's not an emotive video on social media of some poor fucker with extreme shakes "after getting their vaccine", or a comment-box argument inducing newspaper headline distilled into one sentence on a Facebook news story share in general people just seem so disconnected.

We SHOULD be having a revolution, we should have riots in the streets. Instead all of the above is just too boring, too political for most people to get a grasp on. And the Tories are in power anyway - they'll sort it out eventually, they always do etc etc.

We've moved into a space where out Government are openly corrupt, and in some circumstances breaking the LAW, and yet nothing happens or changes.
There's barely even an opposition worth rallying around.

What’s also upsetting (but rather admirable) is that the Brits would probably rather endure the crisis and get told that they can do it as a nation and come out stronger from it. You know the French or Italians would by now have changed Government (multiple times) had they been in same situation.
The reality is there is no mechanism for changing government - it has a solid majority as a single governing party and isn’t obliged to hold an election for 3 years. Agree a coalition government (like 2010 - 2015) would likely have fallen apart by now.

Notwithstanding all of that, the government still leads in the opinion polls. There’s a whole other debate about what this fact reflects a failure of.

I think there have been some recent polls on ‘is Brexit going well etc?’ which we’re not particularly encouraging for the government.

This is a good point (not to give the government a let-off) - supply chain problems are global but lack of hauliers means there are then additional problems within the country itself.

I hope there isn’t too much schadenfreude - there are millions and millions of people who voted neither for Brexit or for Boris’ government (the Conservatives didn’t clear 50% in 2019, even in England itself).

Last edited:
Above all I still think it is just really sad. The practical / logistical problems will be resolved eventually but we’ll still be needlessly outside of the EU at that point.

If it leads to higher wages for workers then it would at least have a good outcome.
You can’t continue having social dumping without a constant inflow of cheap labour.

Reactions: GNL
Boris is about to do a massive u-turn and offer 300 emergency visas to European farmers to come and help us slaughter pigs for food, as opposed to slaughtering pigs for the bonfire because we have nobody to make pork.

How it started:
liz-truss.gif

How it's going:
images

I hope there isn’t too much schadenfreude - there are millions and millions of people who voted neither for Brexit or for Boris’ government (the Conservatives didn’t clear 50% in 2019, even in England itself).

I guess there is Schadenfreude in some part but moreso than anything else it's disbelief that the train is derailing and the clown running the circus keeps making a couple of "jolly funny" quips when asked about it.

For us in Germany the past 5 years of UK and US politics (since Summer 2016) have been astounding to watch while we were still in the Merkel era. She brought a certain gravitas, reliable statesmanship and backbone.

On an international level though, Trump has set the bar so low for what's acceptable and unacceptable in politics that people aren't getting as outraged as they should be anymore - e.g. when Boris and his crooks tell a dozen lies a day or act in the best interest of nepotism rather than the country. People shake their head in disbelief but there is an air of "it is what it is" with the way this has been "normalised" in the past few years.

Do that make sense? Probably not but yeah.

It makes perfect sense. I think if you looked back only 7 or 8 years (and certainly 10 or 15), we would probably put ourselves in exactly the same position as Germany under Merkel.

It will end though. I know for a lot of people it seems like it won’t ever happen, even a change of government, but we should absolutely remember from experience just how quickly a mood can shift. The government has a big (but not actually huge) majority but it doesn’t actually take a massive amount of voter churn at the next election for it to lose that majority.

As somebody who voted remain and didn't vote for the Cons in the GE I am just about sick to the back teeth of it all, the whole shebang, and I can't even work up the anger to complain any more. Prices for everything have gone through the roof, public services are the worst they've ever been in my lifetime, the Government is throwing public money into their mates' offshore accounts left, right and centre, instead of making big corporations pay their fair share of tax they're arse-raping the peasants for more National Insurance, running the NHS into the ground so aforementioned mates can get in on the privatisation beano, UC reduced back to £70 a week, malnutrition diagnoses are at a record high, scurvy is making a phenomenal comeback, petrol keeps getting more expensive but with the introduction of E10 burns quicker (double the ethanol of "old" petrol so lasts just over half as long if my mileage is telling me the truth) ... the list just goes on and on and the media are downplaying everything instead of bringing them to account, I've heard no mention of the contents of Pandora Papers leaks from MSM. And it turns out that Sir Keith is just a Tory in disguise so there's no point voting for Labour either.

I have never felt this disillusioned about my future and I lived through the Thatcher years with a dad who was made unemployed every winter because that's how they did it in the olden days. I fear there's not going to be much of a future for our young people who aren't lucky enough to have the benefits afforded by wealthier parents.

I spent the afternoon with my mother, who voted remain. I wouldn't say she's the most politically clued up, but she was as agog as all of us that this ever happened, equally unimpressed with the inevitable fallout and driven mad by the cluelessness of Breixiteers in denial.

I spent the afternoon with my mother, who voted remain. I wouldn't say she's the most politically clued up, but she was as agog as all of us that this ever happened, equally unimpressed with the inevitable fallout and driven mad by the cluelessness of Breixiteers in denial.

She sounds fabulous.

I've not actually fact checked either of these articles, but is it safe to say that the Tories are just throwing money away in order to protect the very thin narrative that Brexit is still working?

I think so. Also probably the quiet admission that it ISN'T working, but fuck it because after the next general election it most likely won't be their problem to deal with anyways(not that I hold Starmer and co in particulary high regard)

We need to hear more stories like this. Its fucking tragic that a successful business became unviable overnight, but more importantly people need to know just how contemptuous the government is about it all.

Hmm. Obviously you all know my anti- Brexit stance and I can't say I know anything about cheese regulations (!) but when I read that in bed this morning, my first thought was that he was short sighted not to do something about an EU operation during the period.

I was running a service (translation) company with a lot of EU clients that I presumed would be fairly robust in terms of post- Brexit compliance/ trading etc. and the first thing I did was register an EU company and then we eventually went onto make an acquisition of a firm in Poland to ensure we had continued operations for those clients should we need to use it. (Though in the end, it didn't really matter). If he could afford £1 million in a warehouse, he could have looked at a small EU acquisition fairly comfortably I'd have thought.

Of course, the whole issue around EU taxation/ tariffs/ bloody VET certificates (who knew!?) IS a massive problem and one we've shot ourselves in the foot with, but this is also bad business to me.

We need to hear more stories like this. Its fucking tragic that a successful business became unviable overnight, but more importantly people need to know just how contemptuous the government is about it all.

A lot of local businesses here are part of the automotive supply chain and they've had the shit kicked out of them by Brexit. These are companies exporting small components and they're mired in an endless swamp of red tape.

Hmm. Obviously you all know my anti- Brexit stance and I can't say I know anything about cheese regulations (!) but when I read that in bed this morning, my first thought was that he was short sighted not to do something about an EU operation during the period.

I was running a service (translation) company with a lot of EU clients that I presumed would be fairly robust in terms of post- Brexit compliance/ trading etc. and the first thing I did was register an EU company and then we eventually went onto make an acquisition of a firm in Poland to ensure we had continued operations for those clients should we need to use it. (Though in the end, it didn't really matter). If he could afford £1 million in a warehouse, he could have looked at a small EU acquisition fairly comfortably I'd have thought.

Of course, the whole issue around EU taxation/ tariffs/ bloody VET certificates (who knew!?) IS a massive problem and one we've shot ourselves in the foot with, but this is also bad business to me.

Supplying services to the EU and supplying product is totally different. Ms Ron's (ex)company in manufacturing looked into the cost and it just wasn't feasible.

Supplying services to the EU and supplying product is totally different. Ms Ron's (ex)company in manufacturing looked into the cost and it just wasn't feasible.

That was exactly my point about not knowing anything about selling cheese, but I still think it's short sighted for a company of that size not to have done anything about it- when the article seems to suggest that the resolution was having an EU outlet.

But I mean, I'm splitting hairs here, I absolutely agree with the theory behind what you're saying.

A lot of local businesses here are part of the automotive supply chain and they've had the shit kicked out of them by Brexit. These are companies exporting small components and they're mired in an endless swamp of red tape.

All that disgusting EU red tape I bet 👀

However awful Liz Truss was, the great gift she gave us was that she single-handedly buried the notion of a Singapore-on-Thames, and thus the entire argument for Brexit.

In Liz we didn't truss, but thanks anyway hun

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom