J. K. Rowling and other TERFs

I am being terribly old and Luddite- esque here I’m sure, but the trans flag emoji. Do people use that as an ally or just if they are trans? I had it on my Twitter bio for a while as I don’t really get involved with any of the cesspit Twitter discussions, but wanted to make a statement as an ally, but have now had a crisis of confidence about being mistaken as a trans man.

Please also note that I don’t care about being mistaken AT ALL, but I also don’t want to appear like I’m appropriating that experience, if any of that makes any sense.

Modern life is so hard. I feel like everyone’s Mum who used “LOL” as “lots of love”. :D :(

It's baffling and thoroughly depressing how this feels like such a UK-centric debate.

Maybe this is bypassing me completely but I don't feel like trans rights are a huge subject of discussion on the mainland very much AT ALL - maybe that's also because the mainland is always a little behind (certain big cities and capitals aside) and there just isn't a lot of trans visibility yet. I mean even the pronoun discussion here is still kind of its beginnings.

I think you’re right that the flag might get you mistaken as trans but if you’re looking for something easy for the Twitter bio then i’ve seen a lot of people using using #lgbwiththet ?

Also if anyone has their pronouns in their bio, I basically assume they are an ally but I can only speak for myself.

I saw a few TikToks earlier in the week which were talking about this little known court case that essentially created the foundation for the current draconian system of medical transition in the UK.

Essentially, a member of the aristocracy called Ewan Forbes transitioned back in the first half of of the 20th century and began living his life as a trans man. This became an issue when his father and elder brother died and he was due to inherit a title - a cousin turned up at the funeral and said he would legally contest this because he “wasn’t a real man.”

Ultimately, the chain of events contributed to the blocking of changes to birth certificates, the end of elective medical care for trans people.

https://inews.co.uk/news/long-reads...-ago-robbed-transgender-people-rights-1291857

It goes without saying that mandog Rowling is mouthing off again. This time suggesting trans women will rape you (or something, I find her use of language sometimes unreadable).

I no longer understand the people who are close to her who keep defending her stance, she's misunderstood etc. How can you misunderstand THAT?

It's not even the content. It's feeling the need to say it. Why provoke?

She's old man shouting at cloud at this point. Baffling.

Still in shock that Julie Bindel and Julie Burchill aren't the same person?!

This was preceded by a random word random number account claiming her teenage son had been refused a copy of the book in a Waterstones store. So there seems to have been a concerted terf campaign to get some publicity, presumably a CANSELLED AT CHRISTMASS OMG OMG OMG angle or some such horseshit.

Stewart Lee has made a lot of TERFs and transphobes very unhappy by including some of them in an "in the bin" list in his newsletter - alongside Scrabble :D
I saw that. He never fails to NAIL IT.

They're fuming he put that "I'm an actual Communist" lass on his pedestal list too.

I've seen some criticism from other comedians about him punching down with some of his choices, but I don't know the context of why he chose those people (ie TERFISM or Scrabble).

The thing that tickles me the most is the people screaming how irrelevant he is while simultaneously being massively offended by his opinion.

I LOVE HIM SO MUCH

AND HIS ACTUAL WIFE BRIDGET CHRISTIE

Make them king and queen immediately

Reactions: dUb
I had tickets to Bridget's gig here in December, but it was cancelled :(

There really are so many great female comics/comedy writers around at the moment.

Although I was slightly confused that Dave Chappelle is in the bin list but also the recommended TV list

Maybe he wants us to watch it to see what a cunt he is

I had tickets to Bridget's gig here in December, but it was cancelled :(

There really are so many great female comics/comedy writers around at the moment.
I saw her the other week and I was front row and SHE SPOKE TO ME 😍

giphy.gif

Anyway, I've got Lou Sanders and Kerry Godliman coming up in the next few months. Also tempted by Sindhu Vee and Rachel Parris, but they are playing the same venue which I really don't like.

Presumably the same 'Who I Am' tour? It was meant to be first week of December here.
Yes! I wonder why it was cancelled. The London run went ahead albeit with lots of empty seats for a sold out show.

I fancy seeing that dykey one that’s been on Frankie Boyle a few times lately.

Oops we’ve gone a bit off topic.

In other comedy news, did we see that it seems that Shaparak Khorsandi and Mark Steel are an item?

One of those pieces of news that makes absolutely no difference to me but for some reason made my heart sing <3

In other comedy news, did we see that it seems that Shaparak Khorsandi and Mark Steel are an item?

One of those pieces of news that makes absolutely no difference to me but for some reason made my heart sing <3
No way! :o I’m a bit jelus actually, I love him. Likewise when I only found out via Pointless Celebrities that Rachel Parris is now married to Marcus Brigstocke.

I've had the horn for Brigstocke for years. Can't shake it even though I can see he's gone off the boil.

I feel a binge of Mark Steel's In Town coming on. Always a delight - often even better when you're barely aware of the place he's visiting.

I do enjoy Steel's "What The F*** IS Going On?" podcast (his asterisks). The funny thing is Khorsandi has been a guest a couple of times and the first time, it sounded as if they were excited to speak to each other.

Anyway, the TERFs trying to pile on to someone who doesn't use Twitter was quite funny last night. They just didn't know where to put themselves. One of them even went for "you know who else made lists? The Nazis" and I was absolutely howling. Anyway, one of the terfs on his list followed me so I blocked them and locked down just while the dust settles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom