J. K. Rowling and other TERFs

I never read Harry Potter. I only ever followed because I thought she was ally. How wrong we all were.

If you're hating on trans people you're no friend of the gays. It's all or nothing for me.

Read and enjoyed them all, and ended up shocked that the author would come out with this stuff. IMO you really wouldn't predict it from the books and how they extol the values of kindness to others and anti-bullying.

As for even being much of a friend to the gays, I'm still trying to think (can't be bothered to re-read it) whether it was ever really indicated in the books that Dumbledore was gay. Or whether this is a bit of queerbaiting she chucked out after the fact.

It absolutely was not indicated that Dumbledore was gay in the books, that stuff all came after. The only story in the book is that they were the best of friends who had a terrible parting of ways in the end - you can read what you want into that but when even Rita Skeeter isn't bothered about spinning it into a gay rumour, it's fair to say that probably was not the intent or subtext of the time of writing. Everyone in the books is either white and straight or Cho Chang.

I'm pretty sure Dean Thomas and Angelina Johnson were always black. Though we're really clutching at straws with those vital characters...! :D

Don't know if he needs a separate thread (or perhaps better not to pay any attention) but blimey, Glinner really is like a dog with a bone. Hundreds of tweets per day

He's currently publicly reporting any tweet calling Rowling a terf as 'hate speech'. Common tactic of bullies, claim that they're the ones being bullied and that calling them one is rude.

Any bets on how many hate tweets he'll make tomorrow? Maybe spend a few minutes with his family then crack on with calling transpeople 'groomers'?

(Thankfully never got into Father Ted, and IT Crowd hasn't really aged well, so not feeling the need to wrangle with the Miku thing)

Glinner is the absolute worst. His brother-in-law took to calling him out publicly on the strain his fanaticism has put on his family but he refuses to stop - he said he was going to take"a step back" and it lasted less than a day.

And all because he got called out for a transphobic episode of the IT Crowd. Rather than think admit that it was in any way wrong, he doubled down and became the internet's leading TERF, a Pied Piper for the witless and the prejudiced. What a sad, sad fate.

Glinner is the absolute worst. His brother-in-law took to calling him out publicly on the strain his fanaticism has put on his family but he refuses to stop - he said he was going to take"a step back" and it lasted less than a day.

And all because he got called out for a transphobic episode of the IT Crowd. Rather than think admit that it was in any way wrong, he doubled down and became the internet's leading TERF, a Pied Piper for the witless and the prejudiced. What a sad, sad fate.
It really goes to show that as much as it's hate and vitriol, it's also a form of mental illness - coming across an idea, obsessing over it until it takes over your life and totally alters your personality, turns you into somebody awful even your family can't get on board with. Obviously this applies to many other things besides being a TERF. It's just so... strange.

I was thinking similar with the mental illness thing - surely it can't be healthy to fixate on something like this so strongly and to the extent that it affects your family

Whilst I very much enjoyed IT Crowd, it did have its problematic moments. I cringed inside out at the "lol disabled people" one for example (think it was possibly the same episode, I can't remember)

No, it's not the same episode. The disabled episode is the one where he also takes the piss out of the gayz.

The transphobic episode is the one where Matt Berry's character dates a woman who is into beer, darts, burping and eating pizza and he thinks he's found his soul mate until she reveals she used to be a man at which point the punchline is literally that he's so emasculated that he punches her, if I recall correctly. It has not aged well.

Last edited:
I haven't seen the episode in question because I never found the show that funny, feeling that the whole premise was "ooh, silly woman out of her depth ha ha ha". But yeah, that's it.

Oh FFS. Share evidence please

Not that him being a prick is anything new...

Oh I see he’s claiming that insisting on the use of particular pronouns is “a modern form of attention seeking”. The latter of which she’s never done OBVIOUSLY :side-eye:

Sorry, we're taking advice from Convicted Sex Offender Boy George now, are we? I fucking think not.

There's a hashtag #expelme trending being utilised by Lineham and a series of women all talking about leaving the Labour Party over...

Some are crude arseholes. Some are not but still declaring the differences between gender and sex enough to separate biological women and trans women.

What the FUCK happened to the Labour party? What the fuck happened to feminism? What the fuck is going on?

Exactly what happened in the 80's, except this time, the victims are small enough in number to be overwhelmed. Simple as that.

Reactions: Zu
I've seen a few stories about detransitioning come to the fore in the last few weeks.

I mean I'm sure it happens, but the tone felt like it was being weaponised.

I'm genuinely scared. I've seen how easily led thick people are, Brexit proves that.

I've seen a few stories about detransitioning come to the fore in the last few weeks.

I've only ever met one person who detransitioned - she did so because of the abuse and victimisation she was experiencing and it was temporary while she relocated. Last I heard, she had done so an re-transitioned, as it were.

So it's basically bigots dining out on a problem they cause.

I'm genuinely scared. I've seen how easily led thick people are, Brexit proves that.
This lot often appear to be Uni educated sorts, which is the biggest worry.

I never get how those from excluded communities want to exclude others.

This lot often appear to be Uni educated sorts, which is the biggest worry.

I never get how those from excluded communities want to exclude others.

Classic model and it's always privileged educated types. They get called out on their middle-class white privilege and embark on concerted campaigns to show that they're oppressed too. Since a fighting majority of them have lives/jobs/relationships that benefit from the current models, they need someone to pick on. These are people who never grew out of their bullying cliques at school and can't feel good about themselves unless they're picking on someone. They picked on the fat kid, the ugly kid, the speccy kid, the brown kid (very, very few BAME people involved in these groups) and now they're picking on the trans kid.

A TERF I used to know has gone full-on paranoid loon, making comments on a mutual friend's timeline and then blocking everyone who replied (including the friend) in case they get her sacked from her job. Just confirmed the level of these people for me really.

Not another '90s liberal icon being a flake. Tony Blair crossed a picket line to tell Labour not to stick up for trans rights.

Gone right off him now

"If you don’t sign up to what I am saying, I’m going to come and disrupt your meetings and shout at you"

Who's saying anyone's going to do that, Tony? Been watching Peterson videos?

Are we really surprised by this?

The man converted to Catholicism in his adult life. :side-eye:

If you read it, he supports trans right, but didn't want the party to chuck those out, due to not wanting to split the party further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom