Janet Jackson general (2021/2)

I've been on one of my Janet binges recently. I cannot express how joyous this video is.

The Tracey Ullman spoof? Tribute? is also really impressive! Apparently she got Paula Abdul in to choreograph it, as she did the original.

she has had so many iconic videos.

leaving out that's the way love goes and got til it's gone and nasty in favour of i get lonely is a choice.

I Get Lonely is a gorgeous video. It always seemed like it was much bigger in the US though. It was certainly peak 90s RnB - it has class to it, I'll say that.

could this be her most underrated single ever? always had a soft spot for it even if it got lost among the janet. giants. the video on youtube is not even on her channel.

her views are quite tragic altogether - 1 million for love will never do, 5 million for all for you, even less that than for got til it's gone. 12 million for that's the way love goes - one of the most iconic r&b tracks ever!

could this be her most underrated single ever? always had a soft spot for it even if it got lost among the janet. giants. the video on youtube is not even on her channel.

her views are quite tragic altogether - 1 million for love will never do, 5 million for all for you, even less that than for got til it's gone. 12 million for that's the way love goes - one of the most iconic r&b tracks ever!
I totally agree with you, I also had that feeling about Because of love, great song but totally forgotten because of the other massive hits. It actually did better in the US that the chart position suggests. Same for Love will never do (without you).

And yes, the youtube views are shocking and I'm not sure why, big hits with fantastic videos.

I'm here for the Rejanaissance. She needs to become a streaming force. She has the sultry gems that are made for the streaming era. We want to see Mariah-level streams :disco:

Any news on this documentary airing in the UK or anywhere else? Apparently the Lifetime UK channel ended in early 2021.

Would be good to see how her streams are by region - probably US and Japan focussed, much like her tours?

Any news on this documentary airing in the UK or anywhere else? Apparently the Lifetime UK channel ended in early 2021.

Would be good to see how her streams are by region - probably US and Japan focussed, much like her tours?

i've seen quite a few high-profile pieces on this but does anyone expect it to do anything but flop?

what she needs is a cross-generation culturally relevant moment and it has to happen through the music, this ain't it.

i've been on such a janet kick these days. i always have her at hand but it's probably thanks to that "iconic videos" thing.

how good is the best things in life are free?

mmm loofah!

God she was great in the 90s. Still pissed off that The Velvet Rope tour was probably my only legitimate chance to see her live properly (too young before, everything since Jancelled) and it came to the UK in the same week as my bloody GCSE exams, so it was a hard no :(

i loved tina landon's choreography for all of janet. - it was perfect for that album.

Airing in the UK on Sky!

Airing in the UK on Sky!

8 days time. Shame it's not dropping a day before on the Sunday.

the final episode of the doc is called... Black Diamond :o people think new music might drop to coincide with it, since that is also the name of the phantom album

SEXHIBITION would have been a single and a US Top Five hit single if wasn't for racist misogynistic America.

Oh and once again - fuck you Justin Timberlake!

Parts of Damita Jo are actually TOP NOTCH but there was no coming back from that DISMAL first single, let alone all of the Superbowl nonsense.

I mean honestly Just A Little While was the worst ever.
I guess it was damage control mode after Super Bowels because it was 'fun' and 'cute' whereas we all know the first single should have been 'All Nite' followed by 'I Want You' as a proper second single, and then 'R&B Junkie' as third with ''SEXhibition'' as a double A or something...

I think Just a Little While possibly did more damage than the Super Bowl. although it's hard to know for sure since MTV and radio weren't playing it.

i'm very much here for new music (not featuring anyone, especially daddy yankee). enjoying a lot of dammn baby these days.

also, this is probably a lazy question but has the shep mix of miss you much officially been acknowledged as the blueprint for vogue? it's so similar production-wise, i can't believe i didn't remember it!

I never saw the problem with Just A Little While but maybe I'm the only one :confused: better than fucking Moist or Wet or whatever other album tracks were called, overblown tedious shit.

Also, Just a Little While >>> Call On Me :zombie:

i didn't care for it much back in the day but (some rubbish lyrics and the very poor style in the video aside) it sounds perfectly fine these days. call on me on the other hand is the epitome of tinny 00s r&b, her worst lead single and just a very poor song all around.

I think Just a Little While possibly did more damage than the Super Bowl. although it's hard to know for sure since MTV and radio weren't playing it.
Surprisingly, it had great numbers at radio the first week (before Superbowl backlash). Anything they released though would have been blacklisted by Clear Channel post-SB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom