Jesy Nelson's solo career - BOYZ ft. Nicki Minaj out now + not very good + problematic + unimpressed label + DROPPED + Bad Thing + now white

I think this whole thing will

• Total voters
I don’t like being in the public eye it’s really bad for my mental health OH LOOK HERE’S MY SOLO CAREER

I have to say, I've not seen anything to suggest she has a particularly high TASTE LEVEL, so I don't imagine the solo project will be very good.

Reactions: Zu
Hopefully it will be better than the GERU solo efforts although that’s not exactly the HIGHEST BAR :tongueout:

OH IT’S ALL DOOMED LET’S FACE IT

Some sort of reveal about why she actually left LM might kick off this era with a bit of necessary AUTHENTICITÉ

I don’t like being in the public eye it’s really bad for my mental health OH LOOK HERE’S MY SOLO CAREER

I said this earlier this year and got shouted down for it!

It does seem odd to me but I wish her all the best. I just hate what she's done to her face.

I said this earlier this year and got shouted down for it!

It does seem odd to me but I wish her all the best. I just hate what she's done to her face.

Yeah I know what you mean, it’s difficult to know how to interpret doing something for mental health because it’s applied so vaguely and widely that it could mean anything from a severe mental episode to being really tired and needing a rest.

So for some people who just want to get out of a situation without the hassle of having to explain it, mental health has started to become a bit of a card to be played, which sort of robs people who do have really serious cases.

if she had said (and not saying this is what was wrong) that she was really tired of the endless grind and needed time to rest and find what she enjoys, I think people would be a bit more onboard with the speed of the comeback.

At the time it felt like she’d had some sort of crisis, but popping up 8 months later with a solo career that’s presumably been in the works for several months already, it comes off as being a bit of a hoodwink

Yeah I know what you mean, it’s difficult to know how to interpret doing something for mental health because it’s applied so vaguely and widely that it could mean anything from a severe mental episode to being really tired and needing a rest.

So for some people who just want to get out of a situation without the hassle of having to explain it, mental health has started to become a bit of a card to be played, which sort of robs people who do have really serious cases.

if she had said (and not saying this is what was wrong) that she was really tired of the endless grind and needed time to rest and find what she enjoys, I think people would be a bit more onboard with the speed of the comeback.

At the time it felt like she’d had some sort of crisis, but popping up 8 months later with a solo career that’s presumably been in the works for several months already, it comes off as being a bit of a hoodwink

Exactly this.

Of course before I get cancelled again, mental health is important and valid for everyone, whatever the size of the issue.

And if the lesser 1D members can get a somehow viable solo career going, I’m sure Jesy can manage it

She never said being in the public eye was bad for her mental health. She specifically stated it was the pressure of being in the band - not the industry itself.

What about all the nasty comments on social media? She was in the public eye because she was in the band

ANYWAY GOOD LUCK JESY

Of course before I get cancelled again, mental health is important and valid for everyone, whatever the size of the issue.

For what it's worth I also think it doesn't help that mental health / mental well-being and self care being have very much turned into "terms du jour", everyone gets in on the discussion - and it's good that there is discussion because it has been treated so dismissively for a long time. But it has diluted the conversation quite a bit and the terms get thrown around very casually by a lot of people (not necessarily Jesy but you see the same in sports e.g. with Osaka and Biles and how people write and report about them).

That's all.

P.s. not sure I see a sizeable solo career for anyone in Little Mix outside of the group.

It will be interesting to see how she does - being the first to strike out on her own may bring its own advantages.

I do get the impression that the other girls are sticking together - they seem to have flourished when things could easily have fallen apart.

“For me. This is the music I’ve always wanted to me.”

Way to alienate your former fanbase but good for you hun, long as you’re happy. Charlie from Busted might have a few words of advice.

I imagine she’ll have a big hit with the first single and then rapidly diminishing returns. That’s generally how this goes.

Reactions: dUb
I imagine she’ll have a big hit with the first single and then rapidly diminishing returns. That’s generally how this goes.
The Mutya Model (although ‘big hit’ may be pushing it!)

The Mutya Model (although ‘big hit’ may be pushing it!)

Mutya was DAFT or more the record company were by releasing that MoR crap when they were sitting on Song 4 Mutya. I still say Mutya has one of the best and most distinctive vox in the business and it was all such a WASTE.

I think she will have half decent first single success (if it is any good) then a top 5 album that won’t do much.

Have there really BEEN that many British girlbands that had a member leave and start a solo career in recent years?

If she releases next Friday as some think she will, it’ll be one day away from the Little Mix 10th anniversary :eyes:

On one hand, I think she has every right to go solo and I don't think she owes anybody an explanation about that.

On the other, it seemed pretty clear that she just wasn't much into the poppier side of Little Mix's music (it was her who made no secret about hating Black Magic, wasn't it?), so I don't expect to personally enjoy her solo material much. Open to being pleasantly surprised though.

If you're a person who struggles with low self-esteem and with your body image I can imagine that being in the public eye would be difficult, but being in a girl group is probably quite uniquely challenging.

Also as I love mess I really do hope she has some spicy things to say about "the girls" and their relationship as part of the promo

because let's face it there is quite clearly NO LOVE LOST

• Haha
Reactions: Zu
If you're a person who struggles with low self-esteem and with your body image I can imagine that being in the public eye would be difficult, but being in a girl group is probably quite uniquely challenging.
It’s probably high on the list of difficult careers, along with launching a solo career in the same industry

Who was the last singer to leave a British girl group and have sustained success beyond one album? Was it Louise? :D
It's not like the UK is dreadfully good at producing successful female pop singers with longevity full stop, is it? Louise, Geri and Cheryl would all be among the most successful, so I can see why Jesy would think it's worth a punt, if she was that unhappy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom