John Grant - "Boy From Michigan" (new album)

I did waver with him with solo albums 3 & 4 if I’m honest after loving the first two but the reviews and ‘Billy’ have me back on board.

Having found his last two albums very underwhelming, I really enjoyed this on first listen!

Seems like he’s gone back to playing to his strengths and is mercifully keeping the mortifying attempted Prince pastiches to a minimum.

Love Is Magic was very good but even I as a hardcore fan (yes I've met him etc. etc.) struggled with Grey Tickles.

This new one is fantastic

I hated everything about Love Is Magic. It’s put me off trying this.

Well I'm having some time gestating this album, and it's... I don't know yet. I'm not sure. But I've gone back to revisit the catalogue and I'm majorly feeling Grey Tickles at the moment!

Preliminary JG album rankette:

1. Pale Green Ghosts
2. Queen Of Denmark
3. Love Is Magic
[Get Schooled EP]
4. Grey Tickles, Black Pressure
5. Boy From Michigan (THUS FAR)

I've only listened once so far but it's a return to form for me! He's so much better when he's doing introspective than when he's doing BITCHY.

I love Pale Green Ghosts but haven’t made it through any of his other albums. I did like Preppy Boy a lot

maybe I’ll listen to this one if it’s a return to form

The first half or so is, I thought, amazing and got me back on board but then it descends into UTTER CRUD like ‘Your Portfolio’

Love Is Magic was horrible. If you’re going sub-Rufus Wainwright and (shudder) Scissor Sisters, it’s about as low as you can go

INSINCERE APOLOGIIES TO THE FANS

Your Portfolio is awful indeed, but I think that's the only real clunker.

Anyone want to see him at Shepherd's Bush Empire next Thursday? Since my ex still isn't talking to me, you can have his ticket for free in exchange for hanging out with me :):)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom