Johnny Depp vs. Amber Heard

Johnny Depp vs. Amber Heard - defamation trial. The jury will rule in favour of...

• Johnny Depp

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • Amber Heard

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters
Which is ALL the fucking Guardian does these days I swear. They’ve replaced journalists with click-bait columnists.
Not sure why you complaining about opinion pieces when you’ve accused everyone else in this thread who doesn’t have the same opinion as you of gaslighting.

Not sure why you complaining about opinion pieces when you’ve accused everyone else in this thread who doesn’t have the same opinion as you of gaslighting.
It’s not really a matter of opinion though. The jury had a clear set of questions based on established facts. So many people have been misrepresenting what that UK trial and verdict was actually about, the legal definition of “substantially true” which was based upon a propensity of evidence from testimony that has since been proven to be false etc.

It’s not really a matter of opinion though. The jury had a clear set of questions based on established facts. So many people have been misrepresenting what that UK trial and verdict was actually about, the legal definition of “substantially true” which was based upon a propensity of evidence from testimony that has since been proven to be false etc.
Actually, it is. One can still disagree with the opinion of a jury. They are, after all, also only human like the rest of us.

Actually, it is. One can still disagree with the opinion of a jury. They are, after all, also only human like the rest of us.
I think you can only disagree if you watched all 6 weeks of testimony like they did. I didn’t watch ALL 6 weeks worth, but did see at least 75% of it (played it late in the evenings and early mornings and in the background while working from home)

I also reject the media’s ongoing notion that people got their news of it from TikTok and memes. Each full 8 hour testimony per day on YouTube got an average of 2-3million views.

Although you only need to watch 30 seconds for a YouTube view to count.

I watched a fair bit of it on YouTube.

For what it's worth I thought Johnny Depp came across just as badly and unreliable as Amber Heard did on the witness stand but he clearly had a significantly better legal team on a completely different level from hers.

Oh and let me add here:

giphy.gif

I thought he came across as a bit slow, but considered. He came across “bad” mostly because he was being honest. I think he’s likely in denial about the extent of his alcohol problem, but was honest about the opiates. He wasn’t painting himself out to be an angel, whereas she was blaming absolutely anyone and anything, as if she was some kind of innocent Disney Princess. She’d even immediately contradict herself at times, especially on the subject of her own excessive drug use. It was very consistent with the histrionic disorder diagnosis.

To be honest, the main reason I care about the outcome of this trial at all is because Depp’s victory is pretty horrific for survivors of abuse and the prospect of people coming forward in the future. This article shows that Heard had more evidence that Depp was an abusive piece of shit than most people have. He’s an awful, awful cunt and I find his fans rejoicing in all of this pretty pathetic, to be honest.

#BelieveWomen, #BelieveVictims and #MeToo became a thing for exactly the reasons you have said Ellie - so many people, particularly women and children have stories about what has happened to them at the hands of the men in their lives and people are simply not willing to believe that the problem is this systemic. The overwhelming majority are not lying. Given what you’ve said regarding your own experience, i’m surprised that you’re opposed to that.

Last edited:
Sorry, but what was her mountains of evidence? There is so much in that article you posted that was twisted for the author’s own convenience and a lot completely contradicted in court, especially the make-up artists. Conveniently left out the before/after edits of that video of him in the kitchen where she’s smirking at the camera.

She had a very slight cut on her lip, which the same cut in the same place has appeared in even recent photos of her, most likely caused by her nervous habit of picking her chapped lips, which she even did on camera in court. A picture of quite clearly cleanly cut hair on the floor, in no way ripped from anyones head. All of her “witnesses” are her ex-friends who recorded video depositions with no cross examination in 2019 and aren’t really speaking up for her now apart from the sister, who has vastly changed her story since 2016. Meanwhile the vast numbers of audio recordings back up Depp’s story. The most damning of all was when she must have forgot the phone was still recording after the Australian finger incident which was not admissible due to the main bodyguard on the tape having died a few years ago so was unable to be verified.

This is the same time when she claims she was heavily beaten, but she’s wailing, apologising for what she’s done and crying, wanting to see Depp. There appears to be absolutely no concern for her physical state by everyone else in the room apart from trying to calm her down and get her to leave the country

I don’t care about the “bigger picture” as I care more about truth of individual situations. I deal with false accusations of physical and sexual assault in their droves on a weekly basis at work, with people making all kinds of impossible claims merely looking for a refund, or sometimes just out of malice at someone not giving them the appropriate customer service, then refusing to cooperate with any authority the second you try to take their statements seriously. They’re far more common than anyone would imagine and barely recorded anywhere.

This book is a really great account over how the UK system railroaded one man to be thankfully unsuccessfully prosecuted. Sadly Simon died of cancer in 2020

Amazon product ASIN 1785901818

Sorry, but what was her mountains of evidence? There is so much in that article you posted that was twisted for the author’s own convenience and a lot completely contradicted in court, especially the make-up artists. Conveniently left out the before/after edits of that video of him in the kitchen where she’s smirking at the camera.

She had a very slight cut on her lip, which the same cut in the same place has appeared in even recent photos of her, most likely caused by her nervous habit of picking her chapped lips, which she even did on camera in court. A picture of quite clearly cleanly cut hair on the floor, in no way ripped from anyones head. All of her “witnesses” are her ex-friends who recorded video depositions with no cross examination in 2019 and aren’t really speaking up for her now apart from the sister, who has vastly changed her story since 2016. Meanwhile the vast numbers of audio recordings back up Depp’s story. The most damning of all was when she must have forgot the phone was still recording after the Australian finger incident which was not admissible due to the main bodyguard on the tape having died a few years ago so was unable to be verified.

This is the same time when she claims she was heavily beaten, but she’s wailing, apologising for what she’s done and crying, wanting to see Depp. There appears to be absolutely no concern for her physical state by everyone else in the room apart from trying to calm her down and get her to leave the country

I don’t care about the “bigger picture” as I care more about truth of individual situations. I deal with false accusations of physical and sexual assault in their droves on a weekly basis at work, with people making all kinds of impossible claims merely looking for a refund, or sometimes just out of malice at someone not giving them the appropriate customer service, then refusing to cooperate with any authority the second you try to take their statements seriously. They’re far more common than anyone would imagine and barely recorded anywhere.

This book is a really great account over how the UK system railroaded one man to be thankfully unsuccessfully prosecuted. Sadly Simon died of cancer in 2020

Amazon product ASIN 1785901818

It is hard to find information about the specifics of this trial that isn’t coming at it from a place of bias. If the author I posted is biased towards Heard then I feel pretty safe in saying your own takes and those you reference are biased towards Depp? Presumably because you’re a longtime fan? Or maybe something to do with your work - I wasn’t quite sure what that is based on what you have said.

This is part of the reason I look at the bigger picture. The case wasn’t ostensibly about whether she abused him, it was about whether she had defamed him by calling him an abuser. Depp has won the case and thus is viewed widely as having been falsely accused even if what we have here is, at best, a mutually abusive relationship based on what has been seen and heard. Amber Heard however, is held up as proof that women are liars, which remains the dominant cultural narrative despite #MeToo and everything else. Zooming out - that is why I am not celebrating the results of this trial. That and the fact that Depp is being celebrated despite quite clearly an absolutely vile person:
3C60EC24-AE8D-4157-A772-1927BCB58125.jpeg

Last edited:
It is hard to find information about the specifics of this trial that isn’t coming at it from a place of bias. If the author I posted is biased towards Heard then I feel pretty safe in saying your own takes and those you reference are biased towards Depp? Presumably because you’re a longtime fan? Or maybe something to do with your work - I wasn’t quite sure what that is based on what you have said.

This is part of the reason I look at the bigger picture. The case wasn’t ostensibly about whether she abused him, it was about whether she had defamed him by calling him an abuser. Depp has won the case and thus is viewed widely as having been falsely accused even if what we have here is, at best, a mutually abusive relationship based on what has been seen and heard. Amber Heard however, is held up as proof that women are liars, which remains the dominant cultural narrative despite #MeToo and everything else.
I agree that the YouTube account that posted that recording is Depp biased, but that’s just where the recordings leaked so there’s no choice but to use those. I wouldn’t say I was a longtime Depp fan. Liked him a lot in the 90s and early 00s and love most of the Tim Burton collaborations, but it’s been 10-15 years since any of his films or performances have been essential viewing.

I’m just a little bit obsessed with truth. No “your truth”, “my truth” or whatever, just tell the bloody truth (and I’m probably too shallow to direct my energies to things that may actually matter like world politics). In the Virginia court he actually had a burden to prove that she lied with malice. Even with no available cross examination of her friends’ historical video statements and no access to their communications, I believe he managed to do it, with a full link to him losing his two biggest film roles as a direct result of the article, planned meticulously to coincide with the release of Aquaman for publicity.

His independent witnesses (not all on his payroll as Heard claimed) corroborated a hell of a lot. Ben King’s testimony (the British house manager hired by the film studio) was particularly the most rational and believable account of everything. Not to mention the fact that she actually yelled on the stand that she and I quote “wrote the op-ed to take away his power”. As a true narcissist, she couldn’t help but want to take credit. She hurt herself by adding multiple serious accusations against him that she had never mentioned before in multiple depositions. I don’t even think her legal team were inferior to his. They had a client with ever-changing stories and there’s only so much you can work with.

Anyone who paints themselves out to be a saint is usually immediately suspect, and if you’ve had something bad happen to you, why feel the need to embellish it as so many do? The outlandish stuff I read from men and women making allegations against their drivers every day is insane. A lot of them are drunk at the time and only once in 14 years have I ever seen a full blown apology from a complainant when she was presented with video footage contradicting her accusation. But we have to do a full investigation in to every one and it’s exhausting.

I don’t think she’s being held up as “proof that women are liars”, just that not ALL accusations should be believed without scrutiny.

I don’t think she’s being held up as “proof that women are liars”, just that not ALL accusations should be believed without scrutiny.

Yes. Why would any sane person make this (frankly absurd) extrapolation based on the testimony of Amber Heard or the fact that she largely lost this case?

Yes. Why would any sane person make this (frankly absurd) extrapolation based on the testimony of Amber Heard or the fact that she largely lost this case?

“Women lie and make false accusations to destroy men” is the dominant cultural narrative already and the verdict of this trial affirms that… particularly for the vast majority of people who haven’t been following the details closely.

“Women lie and make false accusations to destroy men” is the dominant cultural narrative already and the verdict of this trial affirms that… particularly for the vast majority of people who haven’t been following the details closely.
People just need to STOP thinking every high profile court case needs to send some kind of message to anything in any way. It’s playing with people’s lives as some kind of collateral damage.

Anyway, I’d love to serve on a jury.

People just need to STOP thinking every high profile court case needs to send some kind of message to anything in any way. It’s playing with people’s lives as some kind of collateral damage.
Oh, I wish it didn’t but it 100% does. It is almost always less about the actual court case and more the media storm around it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom