Kim Petras - Future Starts Now

Jark

gave ur love away
this feels like a really big song. it's like full on 80s electronic/disco in a recent Weeknd kinda way.

apparently her upcoming "debut" album was inspired by Paris. the video seems to involve baguettes. I'm here to see if she's gonna break out a bit into the mainstream this time.

Devil

I Need A House
I thought you meant was inspired by Paris Hilton for a second here :D

I would be fully onboard with Kim doing a reading of Stars Are Blind

ZenGiraffe

Take a walk on the wildlife side
What the actual fuck was that ending!? It sounded amazing and it fucking FADES OUT!?

Song gets a 0. Would have been a 9 but that was CRIMINAL.

(Also, Kim, count in German. It's better)

Pipo

Welcome to Chromatica (Wigs not allowed)
Cute. Is she still working with Dr. Luke?

Eddie

User
Did this do nothing then? It might be a delayed reaction but I'm obsessed with this now.

Reactions: COB

Pipo

Welcome to Chromatica (Wigs not allowed)
If she keeps working with Dr. Luke the gays will continue to fail her xx

Jark

gave ur love away
I think I listened 3 times to this. it's flat.

several album tracks leaked and all were UTTERLY boring.

NonEvent

User
It’s ok, but not strong enough to lead a campaign. Quite frustrating that she finally got a bit of budget and promo and they wasted it on this :(

Second single, allegedly called “Coconuts” is coming in the next few weeks. She’s performing it at the EMAs

What the FUCK is this? How utterly embarrassing for all involved

Quite sad that such a visible trans person is releasing absolute novelty PLOP like this. Where did her good material go?

If it is what she wants to record and release, then so what?

I mean fine, but as a long-term fan who has seen her journey from the early days - I can't help be disappointed that she's now getting huge stages like the EMA Awards, the most visibility she's ever had, and the song she's singing basically just goes "My coconuts, you can put them in your mouth" and not much else :zombie:

Doja Cat is a very easy and direct peer-to-peer comparison to make - on account of them both being from the same problematic production stable, both emerging at the similar times, and both breaking through from an internet-famous background.
The HUGE DIVIDE in quality of material between them both is staggering.

Why isn't Kim performing a Kiss Me More or Say So? Coconuts - which is quite possibly the entry point for many people to discover her - makes her look like an X Factor joke act.

At least Future Starts Now wasn't embarrassing, just a little DULL (and some of the remixes helped that out also)

Tetris-Rock

one of those "they/thems"
Conversely, I feel like her momentum has slowed down a little bit more recently (I didn’t see too many gays getting excited about “Future Starts Now”) but the marketing campaign around “Coconuts” has been absolutely stellar.

She has essentially manufactured a viral TikTok hit by releasing the sound and promising to reply to any video that use a it (which has meant more and more people using the song!) and is getting big platforms like the EMAS and the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade because of it. Kim has deserved to be more than just the queer community’s little secret for a long time - if this puts more people onto her other material then i’m all for it. Perhaps she can follow it up with something that is still fun but a bit closer to the rest of her material. That said, I have always enjoyed her doing pure pop rather than leaning R&B and probably prefer it to some of the stuff on the Clarity album!

Jark

gave ur love away
she would be getting those gigs anyway, she has major label backing and a big management push. her profile has been headed toward the realm of the mainstream for a while now! which makes aggressively pushing a novelty song an even stranger move at this moment in her career.

whether it's truly viral on tiktok remains to be seen. if it is, the Spotify debut will be big.

Christian

GOOD BYE!
Getting a big stage to perform on is all well and good but that appearance at the EMAs was utterly amateur and woeful and did her no favours - and I'm not just talking about the rotten song. Based on that and how bad she is in the Heart To Break video (the only times I've seen her perform), I wonder if she has a real breakthrough in her.

Last edited:
I just find Coconuts completely indefensible. ICY got airplay on Radio 1 and Radio 2 in the UK, and looked like a potential breakthrough moment - but for whatever reason it never quite pulled through.

How did she go from THIS to COCONUTS? :(

That said, I'm blathering on so much in this thread because I truly want her to succeed.

Tetris-Rock

one of those "they/thems"
Getting a big stage to perform on is all well and good but that appearance at the EMAs was utterly amateur and woeful and did her no favours - and I'm not just talking about the rotten song. Based on that and how bad she is in the Heart To Break video (the only times I've seen her perform), I wonder if she has a real breakthrough in her.

Having seen her live, I think she is a fantastic performer when she wants to be!

Penelope

striking, unique, 𝘲𝘶𝘦𝘦𝘳
Is it looking like Coconuts might have any chance of charting so far?

(also is it worth maybe splitting a separate thread for it?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom