Kylie - Disco (album 15)

I think those type of reviews are fair To be honest , it’s a decent album not without its flaws.

It’s the backhanded compliments they feel the need to insert into every fucking review that riles me. Also I can’t help but :eyes: at any write up that praises Golden in the same breath as dissing this, as if they weren’t the first to sharpen their claws when it came to that record.

Just admit it and say you think she is crap. Stop all this pretence that she’s “better than this”. *yawn*

Pitchfork is a better resource for finding new music than it is for reading reviews of music you already know. They are pretty focused on what's cool and new. I mostly listen to music for melody, which they focus on much less. Different strokes

Also they clearly only chose to highlight Disco Down because it has the word Disco in the title

the quietus, like Pitchfork, not all that impressed:

https://thequietus.com/articles/29232-kylie-minogue-disco-review

I do wonder whether Kylie will EVER please some critics. :eyes:

I think it’s more the point of why do they bother reviewing albums they are never going to like. Throwing in a few commercial click bait reviews and then scoffing at them hardly lends credence to your ability as a critic.

The best critics are the ones with the broadest tastes so they’d be better off not highlighting the fact that they don’t understand a whole genre of popular music and that it’s not meant for whoever is writing their reviews

silly really

I'm not sure if they've reviewed Disco but Stereogum is like Pitchfork or the Quietus, but is MUCH more open minded and fair towards pop/dance/disco music

I think it’s more the point of why do they bother reviewing albums they are never going to like. Throwing in a few commercial click bait reviews and then scoffing at them hardly lends credence to your ability as a critic.

The best critics are the ones with the broadest tastes so they’d be better off not highlighting the fact that they don’t understand a whole genre of popular music and that it’s not meant for whoever is writing their reviews

silly really
the Quietus is made up of critics and journalists who used to write for Melody Maker, NME, Q etc. They will ALWAYS review Kylie (Simon Price writes for them and he’s a fan). These people were practically obsessed with her in the 90s. In an “ironic” way of course. :eyes: I mean they DO big her up quite substantially in that review but what most of the dour writeups fail to recognise is that unlike Jessie, Roisin et al, she HAS to balance mainstream appeal with any attempt to experiment. Those artists don’t have to straddle their market(s) in the same way.

Pitchfork have long since covered her too, even though they are an American outlet. Whilst that review was not great, Disco has made it onto Pitchfork’s 5 albums you should listen to now:

https://pitchfork.com/news/5-new-al...o-now-kylie-minogue-adulkt-life-nav-and-more/

They’ve also been promoting Real Groove too.

Last edited:
So it turns out that MILKY double vinyl is in fact a GLOW IN THE DARK ONE:

Amazon product ASIN B08KQ9ZPZ3
Can our resident vinyl expert @Sheena confirm whether this is a bad thing or not? Apparently they have notoriously bad sound quality.

It depends. Coloured vinyl is quite good these days, picture discs are terrible. It depends how they’ve pressed it. The “marbled” one is fine.

It depends. Coloured vinyl is quite good these days, picture discs are terrible. It depends how they’ve pressed it. The “marbled” one is fine.

Do they normally indicate how vinyl has been pressed? I'm guessing not.

If I click on the link above will moopy get the cashback?
Oh hang on, do you mean the picture link above? If so, not sure. I'd say go through the standard amazon link at the top of every page.

So I’ve just purchased my SECOND format of an album (well not officially because I bought SOTT recently) in over 15 years.

I feel fleeced yet blessed by Kylie at the SAME TIME. :disco:

Oh and thanks @lolly . I had to purchase it a second time because of your misinformation and cancel my first order. :evil: :D

A mixed bag but :disco:

Does The Abbey Road Sessions get counted as a comp rather than a proper album?

I don’t really pay much attention to Kylie on twitter (because she is always celebrating redundant birthdays) but it’s been brought to my attention that this isn’t the first time she has had too much time on her hands and messed around on Photoshop of an evening:

09 Magic
10 Miss A Thing
10 Real Groove
07 Monday Blues
09 Supernova
10 Say Something
10 Last Chance
08 I Love It
08 Where Does The DJ Go
10 Dance Floor Darling
08 Unstoppable
10 Celebrate You
08 Till You Love Somebody
07 Fine Wine
08Hey Lonely
07 Spotlight

09 Magic
06 Miss A Thing
07 Real Groove
06 Monday Blues
08 Supernova
09 Say Something
07 Last Chance
08 I Love It
05 Where Does The DJ Go
07 Dance Floor Darling
04 Unstoppable
08 Celebrate You
06 Till You Love Somebody
03 Fine Wine
03 Hey Lonely
04 Spotlight

09 Magic
10 Miss A Thing
10 Real Groove
07 Monday Blues
09 Supernova
10 Say Something
10 Last Chance
08 I Love It
08 Where Does The DJ Go
10 Dance Floor Darling
08 Unstoppable
10 Celebrate You
08 Till You Love Somebody
07 Fine Wine
08Hey Lonely
07 Spotlight

Did you mark DOWN Say Something? :evil: :kim:

Easily my second favourite Kylie album.

08 Magic
08 Miss A Thing
08 Real Groove
07 Monday Blues
08 Supernova
11 Say Something
09 Last Chance
08 I Love It
06 Where Does The DJ Go
09 Dance Floor Darling
06 Unstoppable
08 Celebrate You
05 Till You Love Somebody
05 Fine Wine
05 Hey Lonely
05 Spotlight

When do Christmas sales normally pick up? Surely she needs another week in the Top 10 to reap the benefits?

Golden was no.4 in its second week.

Last edited:
I don’t think they massively did last year until literally a week or two before.

I hope she's got some decent promo lined up to cover her through to December.

she's performing on Jonathan Ross in about 3 weeks. not sure if anything else has been announced yet.

The new Amazon vinyl will keep it in the top ten.

And surely she’s got some more RIDICULOUS formats to come :disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom