Kylie - Disco (album 15)

but why? gold is gold no matter who it came from. labels are just adapting to the times.

Absolutely but it is manipulating the charts on what is the most popular music of the time. Number one should mean it’s the country’s most popular album that week, not what a small proportion of gays have spent all their pocket money on.

Not that charts really matter now, I suppose...

Glow in the dark this week and I thought the other deluxe being delayed meant it went into week two’s sales but I’m not certain on that one.
I think it's only the glow in the dark one. If you mean the marbled vinyl, I'm fairly sure that would have counted for week one as it was intended (and indeed as mine was). Or at least if it didn't count that week because it was delayed, that was never the intent.

I'd say ticket sales of live streaming events are probably a better indication of the reach of an artist and I think in that respect Kylie and her team might have a little more reason to worry.

30,000 global sales of Infinite Disco is really not that impressive.

It was an online live show! Generating £600k ish for that is more than enough!

I do think ticket sales of live streaming events are probably a better indication of the reach of an artist and I think in that respect Kylie and her team might have a little more reason to worry.

30,000 global sales of Infinate diaco ia realky not that impressive.

I think her older fanbase would be more cautious in embracing of a live streaming event, like they were audio streaming beforehand. That's shown considerable growth from Golden to Disco, and I've no doubt that live video would follow the same course.

Genuinely, the industry right now for a female artist in their 40s and over must be a really depressing place, no matter what the legacy.

Little wonder why Madge has turned to developing a biopic.

I'd say ticket sales of live streaming events are probably a better indication of the reach of an artist and I think in that respect Kylie and her team might have a little more reason to worry.

30,000 global sales of Infinite Disco is really not that impressive.
Aww was that it. Niall Horan got 150k I think

It'll be interesting to see what DL sold. I loved Infinite Disco but it was relatively small fry compared to Studio 2054, which obviously had the big name sponsors.

I love Kylie but I’d never pay for those streaming concerts. Comparing her to Niall is daft. They have completely different audiences.

@Jark extolling the virtues of streaming events in a KYLIE thread when he didn't even bother with Infinite Disco!

And one assumes a picture disc will be released in a week or two.

#42 on The Guardian’s top 50 albums of 2020

Kylie Minogue – Disco
The uber-Kylie album thunders through the genre’s history, from the Voulez-Vous-ing of Last Chance and sly references to Gloria Gaynor and Earth, Wind & Fire to its stylish 90s French touch reincarnation. More than simply disco literate, it is also a wonderfully meta exposition of Kylie’s pop identity, how she has embodied hope and joy and lived in service of the perfect pop song – its own bid for immortality. She had spent a few years off the pulse with try-hard Kiss Me Once (2014) and Nashville-inspired, retirement-tempting Golden (2018). But Disco didn’t just compete with this year’s surprisingly widespread revival of the genre; Kylie’s fantastical dancefloor, one of catharsis and community, resonated precisely with these weird times. LS Read the full review.

Also number 36 in the Quietus list (above Future Nostalgia no less) despite the middling review from a few weeks ago.

Reactions: RJN
I'll listen to that later :disco:

she's up to #6 in the mids with 7.7k so far including 1.7k at #5 yesterday, so should comfortably pass 10k this week. Yes queen.

I'll listen to that later :disco:

she's up to #6 in the mids with 7.7k so far including 1.7k at #5 yesterday, so should comfortably pass 10k this week. Yes queen.
BREAKDOWN OF THOSE SALES:

CD 4937
VINYL 1927
DIGITAL 256
STREAMING 545

This is a fantastic interview about the making of Disco:

This was so interesting. So unusual to hear her talking in depth about the writing and recording process. Hearing her talk about the struggles with Miss a Thing makes me think it definitely won't be done live.

Also the declaration that she will NEVER record a "woe is me" album might just disappoint an entire cross section of her demographic.

This is probably her greatest quality to be honest. The lack of pretension, the lack of artifice and the startling self awareness.

Also the declaration that she will NEVER record a "woe is me" album might just disappoint an entire cross section of her demographic.

But what's so special about her music is that it makes you feel like things always will get better. "woe is me" doesn't fit with that vibe

Magic is 80s hotel lounge chic. A swanky shoulder shimmy rather than a full on disco squat. Kylie got her groove back, as well as her Pointer Sisters greatest hits.

Miss A Thing pants in all the right places. The sound of taking a breather at the bar. The verses have a whiff of The Saturday's Ego's bridges.

Real Groove's disco discontents doesn't have a real subject to open up much about, but I'm disco content all the same.

A mild Doobie Brothers throwback (not her tribute band with Dannii called the Daggy Sisters, but that taut guitar strumming). I'm listening to the music and thinking we may have a grower or something that needs a few remix attempts. Lyrically it's quite production line by numbers. 2:38 in and I'm willing her on to start singing Norma Jean's Saturday or even Michael Gray's The Weekend (or both).

Which is a great transition into the touch down disco galaxy exploration of Say Something. Grounded with a bluesy riff, this remains so ultra and utterly dreamy. Her best since I Believe In You. I've found a cure to get me through another day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom