Kylie - Disco (album 15)

Jark

User
The title of her 15th studio record has been revealed in GQ magazine as... Kylie. :D I suppose three self-titleds just weren't enough.

Luckily for all of us, Minogue is working on a new album. Following 2018's Golden, which saw her mosey on down into the world of country-inflected pop, she would like to confirm that the new album – Kylie – is “grown-up disco. [It's] difficult even for me to explain,” she said. “But even grown-ups need some pure pop fun”.

It couldn't be better timed. This year has seen a neo-disco renaissance, from Doja Cat's sun-drenched 1970s roller disco anthem “Say So” to Jessie Ware's “Spotlight” or Sam Smith's reinterpretation of Donna Summer's “I Feel Love”. “It's all cyclical, right?” agreed Minogue. “I loved disco as an eight-year-old, so it’s been a long love affair. I’m loving the modern interpretations of the genre now.” But it's not just disco that's having an upswing: artists such as Dua Lipa are taking the sounds of early 2000s female-led pop, itself fronted by Minogue, and touches of house and disco and finding new ways of playing with it. “There's a lot of early 2000s love around at the moment,” said Minogue. “Both feel like good times for me, so I'm channelling that into this record.”

Hopefully she writes as much as she did on Golden for this album. Whilst the lyrics weren’t exactly high brow they certainly gave more of an insight to her than usual.

OH NO it's not called KYLIE again is it? BLOODY HELL.

Reactions: Zu
Golden had the quickest burn rate of any of her albums for me. And the twang Influence across the entire album was a bit grating.

Interested in a follow up as always though.

Golden had the quickest burn rate of any of her albums for me. And the twang Influence across the entire album was a bit grating.

Interested in a follow up as always though.
I prefer my country more bluegrass than line dancing. It was all a bit hen party in the end.

Still, some of the lyrics were interesting and there are a couple gems on there (Stop Me From Falling primarily).

I thought Golden was ALRIGHT rather than GREAT and yes, I haven't gone back to it very much, at least since the tour was over. Indeed, when a song from it pops up on my gym playlist, I generally skip it as well. It definitely was what she needed, though- a different vibe and change of tack was just where she should have gone to be honest.

I very definitely prefer the highs of Kiss Me Once, but nothing on Golden is as bad as the lows.

If I'm totally honest, I very rarely listen to ANY Kylie album in its entirety.

I very definitely prefer the highs of Kiss Me Once, but nothing on Golden is as bad as the lows.

When was Kylie's last album without a dud or meh or three? It is par for the course to find better options littered in her spares and bemoan some questionable choices.

I enjoyed Golden very much at the time but I also haven't played it in a long while. She posted on her Instagram that she was working with Sky Adams again, who was responsible for the Golden 'hits' but also the more wearying soundalikes and some underwhelming production.

Golden felt like her most 'complete' album since Fever and I think that focus and quality control was really important as it's been sorely lacking from her work for nigh on two decades.

But aside from Dancing and Stop Me From Falling, I can't say I go back to it much either.

I diligently bought the first four albums (on cassette :disco:) but I can’t say that Kylie has ever really been more than a singles act for me, with the odd exception here and there. (‘Like A Drug’ and ‘Kiss Me Once’ spring most readily to mind but there are others.) But frankly, given the multitude of pop queenery on offer there, what more could you want? :disco:

Fever is probably her best 'start to finish' album. But it's not my favourite and in fact I'd say it's one of my least listened to Kylie albums..

There's way too much filler on "Fever". I rarely ever listen to it.

"Light Years" is probably the only one I ever listen to regularly from beginning to end. It's a joy from beginning to end.

Body Language very much mid to lower table for me.

There's way too much filler on "Fever". I rarely ever listen to it.

"Light Years" is probably the only one I ever listen to regularly from beginning to end. It's a joy from beginning to end.
Light Years is my favourite Kylie album but I'm sure there are some that would classify the likes of "Bittersweet Goodbye", "Kookachoo" and "Under the Influence of Love" as filler..

Light Years is my favourite Kylie album but I'm sure there are some that would classify the likes of "Bittersweet Goodbye", "Kookachoo" and "Under the Influence of Love" as filler..

Yeah, no doubt! I dunno, I just pretty much like or love every track on that album, no matter how silly or throwaway they seem. It's such a perfect era.

I can't choose between Fever and Light Years, I really can't. One is a slinky, minimal mash-up of futuristic and retro which glides elegantly, the other is all over the shop, camp as tits, a joyous and uncynical celebration of gay culture and pop music.

Probably Light Years is the better record, with more numerous highs, even if it sags in a way Fever doesn't at points - but Fever was the better campaign and the album that really made me a forever stan. But to deliver those albums one year apart? When HAVE your faves?!

Koocachoo is the only track on Light Years I'd call filler or a low point. Even Kids within context is strong. I don't see Light Years ever being topped as my favourite album. And it quite probably the best album by anyone to be topped to :disco:

Surely 'Kylie' is the working title. Like she'd reveal the title already.

I am with most of you - Golden did not excite me but its concept and just how the whole project panned out was exactly what she needed at this stage in her career, it was so well planned and pulled off too, what with all the singles.

I am excited about the sound of this album, she could have easily have gone into a 'Golden 2' but I think she's pushing herself again. I think we are going to get a beefier, more high profile 'Kiss Me Once' type of album but hopefully with a bit more passion and consistency on the tracklisting

I quite enjoyed Golden at the time, but recently went back to it and couldn't make it past track 4. I really hope she goes full on disco Kylie for this one.

apparently this is for Kylie

it sounds incredible. (can't wait to never find out who it was really for!)

My dream producer/collaborator line-up for this album would be something like: Ian Kirkpatrick (Dua), James Ford (Jessie), Bicep, Yuksek, Satin Jackets, Kaytranada, MUNA and Shura.

Of course what we'll GET is Mirwais, Biff and Skye Adams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom