Kylie Minogue - Slow

Read my...

• Total voters
Then there's my sense
Saying stop before you fall
I don't wanna pick you up again

THIS GUY! :disco:

Last edited:
I love "Red Blooded Woman" but it was a HORRIBLE example of someone selling out to try and chase the US market after getting a bit of success there which ALWAYS annoyed me (AND NEVER WORKS!)

I hadn't realised we already had a topic for this 3 years ago. But it should have an annual review to be fair.

because she made a song catering to the market instead of doing kylie. at least that's how it felt to me. it was like a sixth toe in her discography at the time.

I hadn't realised we already had a topic for this 3 years ago. But it should have an annual review to be fair.

trufax. it just needs to be in the classics rather than confined to the kylie forum.

I don't care! It's one of her best!
Absolutely - it's CORKING. The US chasing accusation never really bothered me as it still sounds like quintessential Kylie to me.

And let's not forget some killer b-sides in "City Games" and "Cruise Control". "Soul On Fire" is OK too, but not quite as good.

I don't really think Body Language is lacking in vision, it might not be the most inspired album, but it's clearly going for a certain 80s pop-funk meets contemporary R&B aesthetic. Especially considering X was completely lacking in any direction whatsoever. If anything I think its faults lie in how contrived it is for her, her voice sounds unnatural on a lot of it (not that it bothers me on every track), and it does strike me as the one album post-2000 where she was actively concerned about sounding "cool" instead of just going with the flow.

I wish it had more 10/10 moments, but I enjoy it as an album and only really skip "I Feel for You". "Slow" and "Loving Days" are probably the only songs from it that trouble my Kylie top 40 these days, however.

Last edited:
My 10/10 moments on Body Language are the singles and Loving Days, and I think Promises and Obsession are amazing too.

I really do love it as an album, and it's probably the last from Kylie that even approaches classic (for me personally, obviously not in the eyes of the general public)

I think X tried to mimic this in a way (lead single from trendy 'underground' producers, more traditional Kylie embedded elsewhere) and really missed the mark. The fact that so much was recorded for it and then discarded shows there really was no vision for it. I'm not averse to the end result, but it really is all over the place.

"After Dark" annoys me as the ending when "Loving Days" is just the PERFECT album closer...

Don't even get me STARTED

"Loving Days" is LIFE

And she even had the CHEEK to actually PERFORM "After Dark" as part of the promo!?!?!

To me, Body Language was the last of her album that I connected with. I never really got into X and especially not what followed after.

May I also add here that the Body Language Live DVD is fantastic.

My only Kylie DVD (and I don't even own that many DVDs at all). :disco:

I've always been a big fan of 'Body Language' - I very much have to be in a certain MOOD to listen to it though.

I think it's a shame she didn't ride out the popularity of 'Fever' a bit longer; in theory the follow-up should have written itself, whilst 'Body Language' seemed very intent on being a "difficult" follow-up. Though I suppose I respect her for not taking the easy road - and there are few other times where 'Slow' would feasibly have reached #1, even if it does make TOTAL sense these days.

To me, Body Language was the last of her album that I connected with. I never really got into X and especially not what followed after.

My only Kylie DVD (and I don't even own that many DVDs at all). :disco:
I find it a bit dull personally. I prefer the tragedy and drama of White Diamond.

I just had to listen to some of Body Language and then went on to listen to some of X. I had forgotten how American some of the latter sounds, more than Body Language.

i haven't visited either in a long time but i think i like x more. body language is fun but apart from slow and the glorious loving days it just feels so... juvenile?

I personally enjoy X much more than Body Language. I even gave 'Loving Days' a spin recently and it didn't feel as glorious as I remembered it to be.

I threw this on today and it remains a JOY, even though I stand by my earlier comments...

BUCKLE UP BABY
Feel my SPEED
Better not BRAKE or you'll MISS ME

:disco:

And yes, the bsides were great. I love "Cruise Control", even though it sums up the "US Chasing" business I was talking about earlier...

Last edited:
"Slo Motion" is FABULOUS! It's only not 11/10 because it's not a cover of the lost Blondie single of the same name...

X has the greater number of highs, but it is really disjointed and haphazard in its execution that it's difficult to enjoy as a whole product. "Cosmic" and "Nu-di-ty" are also truly a couple of the worst songs she's recorded this side of 2000.

I love this, probably my all time favorite Kylie track.

Worst Kylie gig I've ever been to. Money can't buy? Money wouldn't bother. Absolute horse shit.

For a one-off concert launching an album, I think it looked pretty ok on screen at least. I don't know if seeing it live was way worse.

No idea if this is new (I mean, do people still even make mash ups these days?), but this is hitting the spot nicely today.

I guess I should have known that. I assume this isn't official as such. Is there a studio version of the live performance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom