Labour: The Keir Starmer years

Sir Keir's won - are you happy with this outcome?

• Total voters
when did you stop aligning with the Tories, and why? just out of interest!
I was always on the left of the party on most issues but Brexit (not so much the result, which I was disappointed by but accepted, but what came next) was the straw which broke the camel’s back.

And I have also just experienced a lot more life and learned how much more complex people’s lives and circumstances are as opposed to the easy scapegoats we hold up for public view.

Last edited:
Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer told the BBC's Andrew Marr show: "Angela and I take a different approach and that is not the language I would have used."

yes, she's a human being and you're a fucking useless Tory-lite, TERF-defending ROBOFLOP.

I still have (limited) sympathy for Starmer’s desire to get the house in order and reduce the ability of the likes of Len McCluskey to essentially hold Labour to ransom, but my God he’s gone about it poorly - and it’s not the first time he’s wound up walking headfirst into an easily avoidable PR disaster.

It does beg the question that if he can’t bring the competence he basically ran on, what’s the point of him?

An Angela Rayner leadership would be JUST THE TONIC.

Far more electable than Long-Bailey, and frankly I think the UK needs a flame-haired, opinionated working-class woman calling things out correctly, they just don’t KNOW IT YET!

Starmer's doing the right thing (sorting out internal strife before facing outward for the 2024 election) but as usual, has got the execution completely wrong.

Angela Raynor showing us all what a conviction politician looks like this morning makes him seem all the more hamfisted.

I don't know much about her but this morning's showing was STRONG :disco:

I think Rayner has twigged that the era of political blather and doublespeak is over. Better to take a stance and be criticised for it later than to waffle on endlessly like Keir did with Marr today and open yourself to the accusation that you don’t stand for anything at all.

That said, the glare of being party deputy is far dimmer than being leader. We’ll have to see how she fares in the big seat if it comes to it. (Sadly probably not until Labour have lost yet another election)

Starmer's doing the right thing (sorting out internal strife)
is he though? most of his actions (expelling Jeremy and Ken Loach for instance...) seem very much like the opposite of that. I think Labour's probably even less united internally than it was when he took over. his deputy is out here openly defying him (and rightfully so) at every turn!

You have a very short memory if you think things were more harmonious under Corbyn!

I think Rayner has twigged that the era of political blather and doublespeak is over. Better to take a stance and be criticised for it later than to waffle on endlessly like Keir did with Marr today and open yourself to the accusation that you don’t stand for anything at all.
Good, "civility" is Boris's best friend. It prevents people from calling a spade a spade: a disgusting, duplicitous, corrupt, obese, opportunistic bigot who will stop at nothing to cling on to the trappings of power. We need to call the evil by its name.

Reactions: COB
Much as he’s turned nonsensical waffling into an art form, Boris himself has never been afraid to make big statements. They’re all lies of course, but they’re quotable and they appeal to his base.

Not to mention he’s been calling the left ‘loonies’ for years. Is Scum really more derogatory than that?

That is an ENTIRELY sackable offence.

I’m gonna sit here and wait for the backlash. It had better fucking come.

It won't. Because it wasn't designed as being against trans men who, according to TERFs don't even exist. It was means as another zinger against the very notion of a trans woman. Nothing will happen. The UK loves the current Tory Government because they are every bit as stupid as they are - they appeal to people for whom 'science' is whatever was in their O Level Biology exam in 1979 and that's THAT. They appeal to people who need a bogeyman to blame for everything that's wrong and just you watch because a lot is about to go very far wrong indeed.

I’m fucking fuming about this. It’s the gall of it all. He’s the health secretary. He has a responsibility. He shouldn’t be putting out provocative, obnoxious statements on Twitter. The Tories don’t give a fuck and they don’t give a fuck because they get away with every time. We sneer at the US for its populism but in reality we’re not far behind.

There should be a higher standard for politics and until there is the Tories will win the argument every time

The bit that really annoys me is that polling consistently shows broad support for trans rights among the British public - all of this is literally just them TRYING to make it a culture war issue, at the expense of people's lives.

The bit that really annoys me is that polling consistently shows broad support for trans rights among the British public - all of this is literally just them TRYING to make it a culture war issue, at the expense of people's lives.

He’s getting creamed on Twitter but typically there probably won’t be a media backlash (still holding out hope there will be)

As the health secretary that tweet won’t have been impulsive. The team will have sat down, thought about the language, thought about the tone, thought about the consequences, and posted it anyway.

Like I said, the gall. I’m fuming.

Yeah, the thing that bothers me is that Javid hasn’t been caught out here. He has actively decided that bigotry is going to win him votes and to hell with trans people.

Yeah, the thing that bothers me is that Javid hasn’t been caught out here. He has actively decided that bigotry is going to win him votes and to hell with trans people.

Bingo.

The Tories just want power. They have no principles, no ambitions - just the need to have power. Johnson embodies this - he wanted to be Prime Minister, not because he had a vision from the country but because it's the highest office in the land. He wanted to be Prime Minister in the same way that kids want to be astronauts and pop stars; it LOOKS amazing. He has no idea what to do and isn't bothered - he's Prime Minister.

The Tories aren't leaders - they look to see which way their support is running and take a helicopter to the front and shout "follow me". It's just about power and they have a total disinterest in what happens to the people they crush to retain that power. Look how many they've killed, just with the complete failure of governance in the first half of 2020. They do not care about anyone, just about power, authority, position, title.

Fucking bootlicking, avaricious, sociopathic scum.

This sort of shit gives me the absolute fear and makes me worry about changing my medical records (if it was even possible to be legally recognised as non binary of course). Trans people have documented problems trying to access sex specific screenings such as those for cervical and prostate cancers screenings, although the NHS does take more of an approach of inclusive language and policies. The Secretary of State is potentially going to get more power of direction over NHS England via the Health and Care Act (although this may be limited to matters of service reconfiguration). If there is a push to say that “only women can access cervical screenings” or “only men can access prostate screenings” for a whole bunch of people to miss out on vital, preventative care and potentially have cancer spread undetected because of it.

COB is totally right as well - the vast majority of people are supportive or literally don’t care. Javid is just stirring the pot and looking for villains as the country goes to hell in a handbasket.

Last edited:
Can I ask what the evidence is to show that the majority of people are supportive?

I’ll add here that Keir Starmer and Annaliese Dodds’ comments over the past couple of days have been reassuring.

They probably should give the likes of Rosie Duffield the shove too but ultimately Labour conference has shown that there is a more systemic problem with TERFism in the party.

Thanks. I found this (from June 2020) which concerned me more, particularly in terms of securing their own vote, and winning over the people who don't see it as a primary concern.

Transgender%20attitudes%20summary-01.png

The country's supply chains are literally collapsing, so it was inevitable they would through some anti-"woke" gammon to the base. I wouldn't be surprised if they torpedo a boat of migrants in the Channel this week. Where's that Jaida Essence Hall "look over there" gif?

When you’re voting to say that trans men can use men’s toilets but trans women can’t use women’s toilets, you’ve sort of cancelled your right to have any credible point of view, or lost your chance to remove any doubt that your ignorance might come from a place of misogyny, bigotry and a basic lack of understanding of equality and/or human rights

Again, for fucks sake…

He’s got his (much watered down) voting reforms through.
Plenty to suggest they're the ones he was actually going for and that the initial proposal was a burnt offering so the unions could say they'd won something by blocking them...

Did she do something that made her fall out favour with Moopy during the leadership contest or something?

Anyway I still think about her “well there we are” on election night :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom