Lady Gaga - Artpop

i can't believe i'm telling you this!!!

• Total voters
I don't remember most of it, to be brutally frank. But I do remember that I thought that a lot of it was tuneless noise.

08 Aura
10 Applause - I've had to put this on second in my tracklisting because it feels like SUCH an afterthought on last, plus that's basically where I actually want to listen to it each album anyway
11 Venus - melodically sublime
09 G.U.Y.
11 Sexxx Dreams - the Heavy Metal Lover lust track of this album
07 Jewels N Drugs - as I tell everyone who holds this up as the obvious reason this album is bad, the ultimate representation of being so unrecognisably off your face you literally CHANGE GENRE. more an artistic piece than something to be enjoyed
09 ManICURE
10 Do What U Want (ft. Christina Aguilera) - the Thelma & Louise of pop, snapshotting the split second before they both plunged their careers into the Grand Canyon :disco: (C. Aguilera's body still not found)
09 Artpop
07 Swine - of course it sounds terrible, but it's about being raped for fuck's sake this isn't about YOU
09 Donatella
09 Fashion
08 Mary Jane Holland - one of the most jawdroppingly poptastic middle eights ever composed doing its best to haul a 4/10 track to a 10
07 Dope
11 Gypsy - wistful season finale perfection

08 Aura
07 Venus - such a catastrophic mess, but contains at least two incredible choruses and so what CAN we do?
06 GUY - astonishing middle 8, the rest is a stone cold bore
09 Sexxx Dreams
07 Jewels n Drugs
06 ManiCURE
10 Do What U Want (ft. Xtina) - it's really such a shame R Kelly is a filthy rapist pervert because the original version of this is one of her best songs EVER. Just sublime. This version is also iconic, but in a very different, pandering to les homos sort of way. Still: "WHAT YOU WANT WIMME CHRISTINA!" "WHAT YOU WANT LADY GAGA!" :disco:
10 Artpop - the glorious apex of this album and possibly of her career - a stunning (and stunningly subdued) work of art(pop).
05 Swine - but how quickly it all falls apart!
07 Donatella - I unironically enjoy this song
02 Fashion! - I literally despise this song
05 Mary Jane Holland - "madmagical in Amsterdam" - get out
03 Dope - what a TOTAL CHORE. It's like pulling teeth
10 Gypsy - I think this would've smashed as a single. Joy, distilled.
10 Applause - a great lead single which perhaps should've been more of a musical blueprint for the rest of the record

I always favour albums which are overlong and messy but have amazing highs so I can't fault Artpop for being the sloppy bottom she is - when she rides it, she RIDES IT GOOD! :disco:

(For reference, I rarely rate anything a 10, so any ratings 8 or over mean I f**king love it.)

08 Aura
08 Venus
08 G.U.Y.
08 Sexxx Dreams
06 Jewels N Drugs
08 MANiCURE
09 Do What U Want
08 Artpop
09 Swine
08 Donatella
08 Fashion
09 Mary Jane Holland
08 Dope
10 Gypsy
09 Applause

Last edited:
This album still floors me every time, for all the right (and wrong) reasons:

10 Aura - I mean, where to begin? I suppose this is the only song batshit enough to open this utterly insane tour-de-force of an album. Many times I have fantasised about donning a burqa in order to raped by a gaggle of muscular Muslim migrants while clinging to dinghy crossing the Med but never more than when I envelope myself in this max track.
11 Venus - possibly the greatest Gaga song of all time. Hooks for days. Just when you think you can't take any more chorus, here's another! Those ABBA teas are intergalatically sublime.
10 G.U.Y. - The sequel to Frankie Goes To Hollywood's Relax, this bottom's up anthem packs more punch than a fist in the hole
08 Sexxx Dreams - not as voracious as G.U.Y. or as filthy as Heavy Metal Lover, but cute for a taste and a swallow
10 Jewels N Drugs - as someone who has always gagged over UrbanGa this ratchet drug-addled bop has always left me on a high
05 Manicure - horrible vocal but a good song lurking somewhere under the cuticle
11 Do What U Want - the other greatest Gags song of all time. Every time I listen to it I want my back broken a dom black top.
10 Artpop - sublime. Stripped down on the piano it works just as well. Some of her finest songwriting.
05 Swine - on the one hand, the worst thing she's ever done; on the other, there's a great little song buried under all that vomit-indusing 2012 production
05 Donatella - like a gay Tumblr blog doing a really bad Snatch Game impression to music
10 Fashion - another reductive Gags homage that works much better than it should
07 Mary Jane Holland - the sound of the start of a comedown
05 Dope - I Wanna Be With You was better
10 Gypsy - amazing
11 Applause - my most played song of all time. :disco:

I mean, I stand behind a lot of this rate except for the fact that I LOVE Manicure these days. And let's get one thing straight: the highs here are absolutely intergalactic. And what goes up must come down, so I forgive some of the dips.

I vividly remember my first listen of this and my mind just being BLOWN in all the right and wrong ways. Whatever you think about her, she's been - far and away - the most EXHILARATING pop star of the last decade.

As part of the course, I am giving a guest lecture about gay numbers up to 10 and a spoiler is that the numbers 11, 13 and 16 feature prominently.
12455 is the new 13. I know you don't Eurovision.

12455 is the new 13. I know you don't Eurovision.
12455 actually derives from Jark's seminal immediate Catfights & Spotlights review

Verdicts from my initial listen:

1. Side Chick | Absolutely the most wonderful Sugababes song ever. Totally incredible. R&B, so so modern. Rap-like verses. 12455/10
2. Unbreakable Heart | Just immense, again. Amazing key change near the end and a great vocoded Heidi bit. Brilliant key change too. 10/10
3. Can We Call A Truce | Probably an even better closer than Now You're Gone. Amazing Heidi verse and Amelle chorus. Epic strings. 10/10
4. Hanging On A Star | This is class. Brilliantly youthful, retro yet modern. A 'bit' like a GA song actually. I think it sounds Xenomania-ish. 10/10
5. Every Heart Broken | Already spoken about this. Great song. 9.5/10
6. Nothing's As Good As You | Gorgeous, cute without being cutesy. Fab vocals. 9/10
7. You On A Good Day | Brilliant lyrics, brilliant vibe, brilliant spoken bits. A future favourite I'm sure. 9/10
8. Girls | Obviously we all know this, and I love it. 9/10
9. Sound Of Goodbye | A sad song, it's production reminds me of a Robbie Williams ballad! Though better than that obv. 9/10
10. Sunday Rain | Grand, like a Bond song. Dark. Will grow for sure. 8.5/10
11. No Can Do | Great chorus, so-so verses. Brilliant final minute. 8/10
12. Beware | Not a classic, I think it's fair to say. Alright, but bordering on filler perhaps. 7/10

Their best album by a country mile. I just adore it already.

Was IRRITATED that ARTPOP wasn’t in all caps in the title but then saw @ameraal had created the thread.
tumblr_oyd1cqr5WD1skb3nho2_400.gif

I haven't listened to the album in full in ages. I love plenty ("Do What U Want", "Applause", "Fashion", "Mary Jane Holland", "Artpop", "Gypsy", "Sexxx Dreams") but I remember the rest being awful and never played again. Maybe I'll give it another try while I'm in the MOOD.

10 Aura
10 Venus
07 G.U.Y.
07 Sexxx Dreams
01 Jewels N Drugs
09 MANiCURE
09 Do What U Want
11 Artpop
04 Swine
06 Donatella
08 Fashion
06 Mary Jane Holland
05 Dope
10 Gypsy
10 Applause

Truly a MIXED BAG! But the highs are oh so HIGH! :disco:

It's probably my least favourite of the main albums (I don't know Cheek To Cheek) but it still has some good moments

07 Aura
10 Venus
08 G.U.Y.
07 Sexxx Dreams
00 Jewels N Drugs
08 MANiCURE
09 Do What U Want
10 Artpop
07 Swine
06 Donatella
07 Fashion
02 Mary Jane Holland
10 Dope
08 Gypsy
08 Applause

But why REMOVE a song from an already RELEASED album? Surely she went collecting the physical versions back as well and replacing them with new ones?

But why REMOVE a song from an already RELEASED album? Surely she went collecting the physical versions back as well and replacing them with new ones?

Yes she turned up at my house with a swat team and pinned me down as I tried to save my ARTPOP CD :(

They reissued the album without it! I don’t know if people could trade in their old one or not though

They reissued the album without it! I don’t know if people could trade in their old one or not though
However that is, It's not what I want in this digital world! They should have at least replaced it with the far superior CUNTINA version!

My RANK these days

09 Aura
11 Venus
10 G.U.Y.
10 Sexxx Dreams
00 Jewels N Drugs
09 MANiCURE
10 Do What U Want
10 Artpop
07 Swine
07 Donatella
08 Fashion
07 Mary Jane Holland
10 Dope
10 Gypsy
08 Applause

09 Aura
10 Venus
08 G.U.Y.
09 Sexxx Dreams
00 Jewels N Drugs
03 MANiCURE
09 Do What U Want
09 Artpop
03 Swine
06 Donatella
08 Fashion
03 Mary Jane Holland
00 Dope
10 Gypsy
10 Applause

Such a weird album. The highs are brilliant but the lows are just abysmal.

10 Aura
10 Venus
09 G.U.Y.
10 Sexxx Dreams
00 Jewels N Drugs
00 MANiCURE
09 Do What U Want
08 Artpop
00 Swine
07 Donatella
10 Fashion
06 Mary Jane Holland
00 Dope
10 Gypsy
08 Applause

I've never liked it very much, I think this is where the rot started setting in. Noisy, ugly production and probably the most affected vocals on any of her work.

02 Aura
06 Venus
04 G.U.Y.
07 Sexxx Dreams
00 Jewels N Drugs
05 MANiCURE
09 Do What U Want
08 Artpop
00 Swine
03 Donatella
06 Fashion!
05 Mary Jane Holland
-1 Dope
06 Gypsy
05 Applause

Last edited:
I had no idea Venus was so well liked here. I must revisit the album to check. I just remember her doing it on the X Factor and not being enamoured so must have switched off to it when playing the album. The title track is easily the best thing on here for me.

I think I'd rather not - once in a week is already quite enough for an album so dedicated to causing headaches and necessitating lobotomies

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom