LGBTQ History

GinAg (39)

User
Pronouns
He/Him
Just watching this TV program about 1980s gays in London.

I'd have been so upset to find out that elderly drag queens and deluded nothern leather queens were about the only option.

Also the 'expert' in it sounds just like Dear Joan and Jericha.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zu
Just watching this TV about 1980s gays in London.

I'd have been so upset to find out that elderly drag queens and deluded nothern leather queens were about the only option.

I've just started this book, so perhaps I ought to give it a go.

51%2BPuBBI47L._AC_SY400_.jpg

Yeah I've seen that on my recommend reading list for my dissertation.

Although Matt Cook is by far the best historian on matters homosexual and British imo.

Just watching this TV program about 1980s gays in London.

Oh God :D

It was actually much more diverse than that. There was the lovely Lesbian and Gay Centre In Farringdon for starters, with its tasty vegetarian lead balloon bakes and lesbian Kung Fu classes (and brawls in the toilets) :disco:

The only person who comes out of that program well is young Marilyn who calls out the butch queens for being the bunch of BS that they are.

Also those drag queens are SO DRUNK.

Exactly. Bravo Mr Marilyn :disco:

To continue my history lesson for the evening (:side-eye:), there was also The Bell in King’s Cross which was very indie, so it didn’t solely comprise of the rather dull binary which seems to have been presented here of dead-eyed clones (that’s MEN WITH MOUSTACHES for younger readers) fisting each other in the bogs at The Coleherne, and Hinge and Bracket at the RVT, ginned off their lallies and churning out another round of Roll Out The Barrel. Although there WAS quite a lot of that...

Actually I quite miss the pubs where you had to ring a bell to get in :disco:

Of course @Shirley and I will be able to share some exclusive memories about nights out at Limehouse’s most glamorous nitespot which will be the envy of you all: yes, that’s BJ’S WHITE SWAN :disco:

Remind me to post something about FF MAGAZINE at some point. One of the most disgusting, tasteless and therefore fabulous publications ever to hit the gay scene which had to close down owing to legal threats or something, further to allegations that Cliff Richard was a palsied paedo (and the pretend and not entirely complimentary interview with Miss Elaine Paige might have had something to do with it). I might scan and post a few articles if I can be bothered. You’ll probably detect a resemblance to a certain someone’s posting style or at least acrid sense of humour :side-eye:

Queer Pop - From The Gay Scene To The Mainstream was a good documentary however I can't seem to find it online anymore.

It chronicled the rise and impact of disco on the gay community in the 70s, the gay roots and influence on the new-romantics, hi-NRG and House in the 80s and then commercial pop of the 90s and present day.

Of course @Shirley and I will be able to share some exclusive memories about nights out at Limehouse’s most glamorous nitespot which will be the envy of you all: yes, that’s BJ’S WHITE SWAN :disco:

The SCENES my darling the SCENES!

This 1967 show is fascinating! The perception by everyone that it was an illness regardless of their view was quite of the time. Also the pro panel is so gay. The poet is still alive and very much a lesbian.

Many years later the Tory MP was exposed as a spy.

It was the follow up to these quite tragic but fascinating programs. These are the first gay people to admit their sexuality on TV. The couple that explicitly hate each other :(.

Remind me to post something about FF MAGAZINE at some point. One of the most disgusting, tasteless and therefore fabulous publications ever to hit the gay scene which had to close down owing to legal threats or something, further to allegations that Cliff Richard was a palsied paedo (and the pretend and not entirely complimentary interview with Miss Elaine Paige might have had something to do with it). I might scan and post a few articles if I can be bothered. You’ll probably detect a resemblance to a certain someone’s posting style or at least acrid sense of humour :side-eye:

Oh DO :disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom