Lily Allen - Smile

"I was quite unwell..."

• Total voters

VoR

Take it or leave it
Sorry to add to the glut of Lily threads, but the seeming consensus that she was shit until the second album surprised me a little - is this song really so hated? I think it's a great little tune and a perfect debut single for her.

I do, however, prefer LDN.

Last edited:
LDN is amazing. And I also liked Alfie :shy: Everything else from the first album I'm indifferent and the second is great from start to finish

I HATE IT! But then I've never had more of a turnaround between first and second albums than I have with her...

I like it, good melody and it brings back some very nice memories of summer 06.

I like lots on the first album ("Smile", "Knock 'Em Out", "LDN", "Everything's Just Wonderful", "Alfie", "Nan, You're A Window Shopper") but she really did raise her game spectacularly with the follow up.

I have no idea which two songs you're referring to there.

One sounds like Shine, and there's one where she's basically saying she and her gays are a bit pretentious because it's fun to be. The latter may have been an outtake or b-side though.

Last edited:
Give this a try, sorb:

Probably my favourite thing she's ever done, The Fear aside :disco:

Last edited by a moderator:
One sounds like Shine, and there's one where she's basically saying she and her gays are a bit pretentious because it's fun to be. The latter may have been an outtake or b-side though.

It was a b-side I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
9/10

This and LDN are just so good. I love Lily and loved her right from the first album.

Last edited:
Love this song. It's easy to listen to and never gets repetitive.

Has she officially retired from music?

This is TOP 5 in my list of songs with best opening verses EVER: oh, what a cute little poppy song... and suddenly BAM! A big fat 'fuck' to let you know she's not what you thought she was. It was the perfect presentation card for her.

Very, very average.

But LDN was great and I quite liked Alfie. But the album as a whole was a bit shit from memory (played it about once).

Love this song, love how the sunny reggae tune is undercut by the downbeat, bitter lyrics. I was going through a rough time then, so this stood out amongst the wrist slitting forced cheerfulness of The Feeling.. such nauseating stuff around back then.

This is sixteen years old. SIXTEEN. I've just turned to DUST.

Anyway, the song's great and is permanently burned into my mind (even the Simlish version) but she had better stuff coming.

• Care
Reactions: VoR
It’s just ok. I’d never choose to listen to it. I love Lily Allen, but this just isn’t among her best

I think this is probably my favourite song from her :shock:

a cute song at the time, but she vastly outdid everything from the debut on the next album. this one is so... twee.

I think musically it's MEANT to be A BIT TWEE, so it's even more jarring with the lyrics about being HAPPY that her ex is feeling MISERABLE :D

How this kicked off a feud between Cheryl and Lily I'll never know. It's quite FLATTERING.

My favorite on the album is Everything’s Just Wonderful, followed by LDN and Not Big

Lily Allen album rank

1. It’s Not Me, It’s You
2. No Shame
3. Alright, Still
4. Sheezus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom