Love Island 2019

Rita

User
Yes Moopy, the thread you have ALL been waiting for. :disco:

Starts tomorrow at 9pm.

I'm sure it'll still be a big hit but I'm glad there's been a bit of SCRUTINY about the unrealistic body image the show presents. Their defence over it didn't go down so well either:

First and foremost, it’s an entertainment show and it’s about people wanting to watch who you’ve got on screen falling in love with one another. Yes, we want to be as representative as possible, but we also want them to be attracted to one another.
:manson:

Then surely they wouldn’t be their type on paper?

Omg

Attractive personalities to the back :evil:

I really wish Lucie would stop trying to make the word bev happen. It’s annoying me already. Is everything bev?

Anton is a DICK. Hopefully he gets totally fucked over.

FUCK BOY.

The love island theme tune really does make me get very excited for Summer. Then I remember I am a 45 year old woman living in the gateway to the highlands in Scotland with responsibilities. :square:

I DON’T UNDERSTAND.

Some of these people are behaving like they’ve known each other for TEN YEARS, not two days.

I DON’T UNDERSTAND.

Some of these people are behaving like they’ve known each other for TEN YEARS, not two days.

I haven’t caught tonight’s yet. Last night one couple were saying they would not want to carry on if it was not with each other. COME ON! It’s been 24 hours!

I initially thought Amber was a bit of a cunt but she’s ruthless and I love it.

Why are they all FAWNING over Lucie?

She’s pretty but she’s not ALL THAT and she’s the epitome of BLAND.

Why are they all FAWNING over Lucie?

She’s pretty but she’s not ALL THAT and she’s the epitome of BLAND.

She really makes me cringe. Every time she says that blasted word.

I still don’t really GET IT.

They’re all just locked in a nice house gossiping about each other. Is that the point? What does Caroline Flack do?

I still don’t really GET IT.

They’re all just locked in a nice house gossiping about each other. Is that the point? What does Caroline Flack do?

It gets better the further in to it we get. They re couple once a week, and then the viewers vote for least favourite couples who get evicted. Lots of new islanders come in throughout who usually have their eye on a particular male/female and try to break up a couple.

Caroline doesn’t do MUCH. She comes in to the house for evictions generally, and hosts the Sunday? night programme Aftersun.

I see this is getting criticised for racism as well now

Really? It can’t have been shown on the shows up to tonight? :confused:

It's because Sherif, Yewande and Michael were picked last in the first episode. I think the racism comments are less aimed at the producers and more as a commentary on culture.

It's because Sherif, Yewande and Michael were picked last in the first episode. I think the racism comments are less aimed at the producers and more as a commentary on culture.

Oh I didn’t even notice that. Yewande only stepped forward for one fella though as it was girls choosing boys. Michael was initially chosen by Lucie I think, who then changed to Joe when he came in. Sherif and Anna seem to be getting on very well compared to some of the other couples.

Sorry yes - it's less about the show, more the audience.

Fairly consistent with trends seen in other reality TV shows, although perhaps slightly concerning that as Love Island skews towards a much younger demographic, it indicates something quite endemically entrenched that isn't changing.

Does it not come down to taste though rather than colour? The girls were asked to step forward for the man they were most attracted to. Yewande and Anna didn’t step forward for anyone I don’t think, so had to choose from the “subs” which none of the girls stepped forward for who was Sherif and Michael (as Lucie swapped him for Joe).

Does it not come down to taste though rather than colour? The girls were asked to step forward for the man they were most attracted to. Yewande and Anna didn’t step forward for anyone I don’t think, so had to choose from the “subs” which none of the girls stepped forward for who was Sherif and Michael (as Lucie swapped him for Joe).

I believe the reason people are picking up on it is because Marcel was in a similar situation last year.

It's not an accusation that any of the choices were about the girls being overtly and deliberately racist - but that inherently when given a choice, they veer predominantly towards white men.

I believe the reason people are picking up on it is because Marcel was in a similar situation last year.

It's not an accusation that any of the choices were about the girls being overtly and deliberately racist - but that inherently when given a choice, they veer predominantly towards white men.

It is all about who they were attracted to at the end of the day. I don’t see why colour needs to be brought in to it. If I took part in the show then I would have chosen either Callum, Michael, or Tommy because in my opinion those 3 are the most attractive. If people have to simply choose a favourite by aesthetics then we are going to pick who we are individually attracted to, no? I understand it is an observation that a black woman, and 2 black men were not chosen but Yewande didn’t step forward for anyone in the first place so she was always going to end up with a “sub”. I would imagine if Curtis was in the starting line up then he may well have been a sub also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom