Madonna - Madonna (The First Album)

RJN

lost all chats
Pronouns
he/him
I couldn't find any other thread for this, so...

It needs no introduction

1641744977983.png

XX Lucky Star
XX Borderline
XX Burning Up
XX I Know It
XX Holiday
XX Think of Me
XX Physical Attraction
XX Everybody

My rate:

10 Lucky Star
11 Borderline - One of the first Madonna songs I remember hearing and a CLASSIC imo
10 Burning Up
10 I Know It - This has always been my favorite album track from this album
09 Holiday
09 Think of Me - weird to give this the same score as Holiday but it is what it is
07 Physical Attraction - Is this a fan fave? I like it but its the worst on the album for me
10 Everybody

10 Lucky Star
10 Borderline

11 Burning Up
08 I Know It
09 Holiday
07 Think of Me
10 Physical Attraction
09 Everybody

• Love
Reactions: RJN
10 Lucky Star
11 Borderline
07 Burning Up
05 I Know It
10 Holiday
07 Think of Me
07 Physical Attraction
07 Everybody

I don’t really ever listen to this as a full album, but the fact that it contains three of the greatest 80s pop songs on ONE album is quite astounding.

Does anyone understand the choices around what made it onto TIC? She actually chose the 3 that I would choose, but Everybody and Burning Up were odd omissions given the importance of them launching her career. Or where they odd? Was Lucky Star bigger than they were? I get Holiday and Borderline, but it took re-releases to make them successful too.

I don’t really ever listen to this as a full album, but the fact that it contains three of the greatest 80s pop songs on ONE album is quite astounding.

Does anyone understand the choices around what made it onto TIC? She actually chose the 3 that I would choose, but Everybody and Burning Up were odd omissions given the importance of them launching her career. Or where they odd? Was Lucky Star bigger than they were? I get Holiday and Borderline, but it took re-releases to make them successful too.

There's a reason it's called The Immaculate Collection hun.
I mean she excluded transatlantic number one single 'Who's That Girl' of it because it didn't quite cut the mustard. So there's no way on earth that non-hits 'Everybody' or 'Burning Up' would have even been contenders. :disco:

Oh a quick wiki check tells me that Lucky Star was actually the biggest hit from the album in the US. I didn’t know that.

10 Lucky Star
11 Borderline
09 Burning Up
08 I Know It
10 Holiday
09 Think Of Me
09 Physical Attraction
10 Everybody

Fun fact: 'Ain't No Big Deal' was originally going to be her first single and would have been naturally on the album.
Fortunately that did not come to be (as Barracuda released their version first).
I mean it was fun (for Europe) but not really all that.

Is there some HITHERTO UNDISCOVERED funky scale of relativity, or does he REALLY BELIEVE Kylie's Tell-Tale Signs is equally as worthy as Burning Up and Physical Attraction?

#bekindtokylie is my new mantra for surviving the moopy minefield :(

And sorry my lovelies but when it comes to Madonna intros I really do not think that anything can ever top that regal 'Papa Don't Preach' opening :disco:

Reactions: RJN
10 Lucky Star
10 Borderline
11 Burning Up
08 I Know It
09 Holiday
09 Think of Me
10 Physical Attraction
07 Everybody

I’ve dug out the albums boxset and I’m playing this album now. I’ll end up going through them all over the next few days no doubt. Holiday is one of those songs that’s really hard to think of objectively now but it’s still joyous.

10 Lucky Star
09 Borderline
09 Burning Up
08 I Know It
09 Holiday
09 Think of Me
09 Physical Attraction
07 Everybody

When I raided my oldest sister’s record collection when I was checking out early(ish) 80s stuff she had this but with this cover.

1641762700289.jpeg

Yes that was the reissue.
It's also the one I had growing up as I only got into her after PDP in '86.
My earliest two Madonna memories are squirming while watching TOTP with my parents as she was saying the word ‘Virgin’ and I was convinced it was a very rude word. The other was singing Material Girl with my primary school friend Sonia and one of the other boys making fun of me until I punched him.

08 Lucky Star
10 Borderline
08 Burning Up
10 I Know It
08 Holiday
09 Think Of Me
09 Physical Attraction
08 Everybody

Fun fact: 'Ain't No Big Deal' was originally going to be her first single and would have been naturally on the album.
Fortunately that did not come to be (as Barracuda released their version first).
I mean it was fun (for Europe) but not really all that.
I love "Ain't No Big Deal". It is a bit cheesy and dated even for 1983, though.

They didn't chart ANYWHERE. I would have said "Who's That Girl", "Dress You Up", "True Blue", "Causing a Commotion" would've been worthier contenders.

They didn't chart ANYWHERE. I would have said "Who's That Girl", "Dress You Up", "True Blue", "Causing a Commotion" would've been worthier contenders.

I agree with the theory entirely but just want to point out that Burning Up was actually a sizeable Australian hit, don’t you know :david:

They really missed a trick by not putting an unedited/extended version of the "Borderline" single remix on THE FIRST ALBUM.

Not that its relevant to TIC, but Burning Up actually has higher streams than Borderline. But Holiday has the most. The streams for the whole album are criminally low

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom