Marina - "Ancient Dreams in a Modern Land"

KindaCool

Basic bopz plz
She's confirmed this on Instagram a while back.

The last album left a sour taste tbh. Fairly unimpressive.

I think there was a snippet of a new song somewhere but I couldn't find it.

Anyone still checking for her?

I really like her - she's got a great, distinctive voice, she's written some pithy lyrics, turned out some eye-catching visuals, and she's great live. The last record was trite, but I'm still hopeful for whatever comes next.

I still can't believe she ditched her stage name for just MARINA though.

Going from Marina and the Diamonds to Marina made sense in the context of "Love & Fear" - bland, anonymous, not in any way unpleasant but completely unremarkable.

5th alobum will probably be called "Live & Laugh".

Going from Marina and the Diamonds to Marina made sense in the context of "Love & Fear" - bland, anonymous, not in any way unpleasant but completely unremarkable.

5th alobum will probably be called "Live & Laugh".

Released exclusively through Etsy.

I enjoyed the last album. She's older and she's in love, and I think it works fine in the context of that.

first single Man's World out next Friday. here's a picture of a postcard sent to fans announcing it.

8t31ulpiwvy51.jpg

Fingers crossed it’s good

This sounds quite FAMILY JEWELS though.

Hopefully the new stuff will be more of this ilk!

I didn’t dislike the last album I just thought a lot of it was DULL.

Album ranking:

Froot
Family Jewels
Electra Heart
Love & Fear

Electra Heart seems to be by far and away her most successful era in terms of streams. I was pleasantly surprised at some of the numbers she has.

Froot
Electra Heart / Love + Fear
Family Jewels

no shade to the first album, I love 3-4 tracks but her voice across it is too much. she really improved vocally from Electra Heart.

Last edited:
Okay that sounds promising, hopefully better than anything in the last album

I love the visuals in that! The song is sounding good too

I'm not judging based on such a tiny clip but she'll always be able to get a listen out of me, I expect.

I suppose if most artists release on a Friday, if you're not very high profile, releasing on a Wednesday might garner a wee bit more attention. I think I'd do that if I was a pop star ON THE WANE.

I suppose if most artists release on a Friday, if you're not very high profile, releasing on a Wednesday might garner a wee bit more attention. I think I'd do that if I was a pop star ON THE WANE.

not if you want a good entry position though... I’d think she’s still perfectly capable of getting a top 10

I like it! the production is a big step up on Love+Fear. the verses are great ("the campest hotel in LA" line is :disco:) - not sure about the extended post chorus, it drags a bit and it's half the song. but it's a strong 7.5 on first play.

Well this is kind of tough to judge on first listen. Of course the sentiment is important and timely and the middle 8 has a great melody. I don't know if I actually LIKE it that much though. It may grow.

It sounds pleasant enough, but definitely sounds like a grower. I love the white-haired guitarist.

Lyrics aren't her strength.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom