Meanwhile in Australia...

Funky

User
That country which is full of mostly nice people but has an absolutely dreadful media

I stumbled upon this on YouTube. It took me a moment to realise that they were actually being serious, and genuinely do not understand Pride. On national TV. In 2022.

Happy Pride Month all!

Sky News is basically their Fox News though isn’t it?

I can only assume Australia has a right wing (though a less internationally reported one), that is just as toxic as that of the U.S.
their right wing are climate deniers who have been in government for years, until being kicked out last month. I wouldn't say under reported!

Shocked that a ‘news’ report of that nature made it to air in 2022. Even more shocked that the channel appears to be a sister channel of ‘Sky’ in the U.K. (which would never broadcast something like this).

.. Then again, I can only assume that Rupert Murdoch is the common denominator (also owner of the rightfully criticised U.S. Fox News network). The reason Sky U.K. would NEVER broadcast something of this tone is because Ofcom would likely take it off air!

I had always believed Sydney Mardi-gras to be one of the most cutting edge and sophisticated celebrations of gay culture in the world (one that lesser international festivals looked to for inspiration) and by extension of this had believed Australia to be post homophobic (after-all how could a country that loves Abba and Eurovision be anything else)?

I can only assume Australia has a right wing (though a less internationally reported one), that is just as toxic as that of the U.S.
Sky News in the UK and Australia are, as far as I am aware, now completely unrelated.

Australia is owned by News Corp and UK is now owned by Comcast (I think Sky News in the UK has always been quite good but it has got much better post-Murdoch ownership - notwithstanding Kay Burley!)

Yeah the tone of this seems way worse than Sky News in the U.K., even though they’re no saints either.

The way he comes out with those derogatory and condescending soundbites and she’s just softly chuckling in the background…

I saw this asshole Douglass Murray on Bill Maher and was wondering how he could be a columnist on NYT, I see now it’s the NY Post, which I’m guessing is something different?

I got as far as "they've got a circle there (lol)"

Maybe later my morbid curiosity will get the better of me and I'll watch it, but I'll need a coffee.

No idea who he is but I looked him up and of course, the man in the video is gay.

I could just smell the self-loathing on him I really could.

We need to stop giving these people platforms. Yeah it’s all designed to make us watch and either get angry or feel validated but neither are healthy. Media companies only care about the numbers and clicks they don’t care about mental health, educating people, being progressive. They want people to argue and be divisive

I’m not sure how the cycle ever ends. It’s depressing.

Y'all leave funky alone! He's a member of the heterosexual community minority here!

Sky News is a laughing stock in Australia and has about 3 viewers. It’s seen as a very right wing channel and I’m not really surprised it has featured something like this. It’s had a lot worse!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom