Melfest 00-09 Runners-up SURVIVOR: THE FINAL

VOTE (VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE) FOR THE WINNER

• Total voters

VoR

Take it or leave it
It's BYE BYE to BWO, unfortunately bigoted old cunt Alexander Bard's post-Army of Lovers pop project which spawned a pair of Melfest near-misses (plus a pair of considerably less fabulous flops on either side) and even a couple of UK chart entries (Top 75 only). There was no stopping the Carola train in 2006, but they gave her a good run.

3rd: BWO - Temple of Love (2006)
4th: Pernilla Wahlgren & Jan Johansen - Let Your Spirit Fly (2003)
5th: Friends - När jag tänker på imorgon (2000)
6th: Barbados - Se mig (2000)
7th: Caroline af ugglas - Snälla, Snälla (2009)
8th: Sanna Nielsen - Empty Room (2008)
9th Barbados - Allt som jag ser (2001)
=10th Mendez - Adrenaline (2002)
=10th Andreas Johnson - A Little Bit of Love (2007)

Which leaves us with a predictable but highly deserved top two of BIG TITS vs BIG HAIR.

Shirley Clamp had been knocking around as a backing vocalist for quite some time, never really catching that big break. She was 31 by 2004, and went into the contest as a little-known outsider. She barely scraped through the heats via the second chance round, but somehow by the time the finals came around, the momentum around her and the song had started to build. You can really sense the last ditch energy of this performance. Her 'JESUS CHRIST' eye-roll at the end is one of my favourite Melfest/Eurovision moments of all time. :D

Nanne Grönvall on the other hand was already Swedish pop royalty by 2005. The daughter in law of ABBA's Benny Andersson no less, she'd been a pop fixture since the early 80s, and had already been to Eurovision in 1996 as part of the group One More Time with the quite lovely Den Vilda.

Håll om mig was THE breakout hit of Melfest 2005 and really SHOULD have gone to Eurovision that year, had it not been for a notorious jury shut-out that handed the victory to the useless Martin Stenmarck instead. He duly flopped, while Nanne's song endured as a bona fide Swedish pop classic.

CHOOSE YOUR FIGHTER

Both easily in my all-time Melfest top ten, but I just can't ignore the ALL OR NOTHING desperation of that Shirley performance, only elevated by the stalkeriffic lyrics. :D

I have so much love for Nanne (Den Vilda is one of my favourite Eurovision songs of all time) but Min Kärlek is close to a perfection of its genre and one of the truly great MF entries.

BWO was robbed. But I forgot to vote so I can't really complain.

I'm voting for Nanne, but it was close

Out of interest, what were BWO’s UK chart positions?

This is SO TOUGH to choose, as I love both for completely different reasons. Nanne is the more iconic, Shirley the near-triumphant underdog. Both classics of the genre.

An unpopular opinion I'm sure, but I actually prefer Shirley's Att Älska Dig to both :D
ABBA in Swedish with a whiff of a techno beat and RAINING GLITTER is everything I want from Melfest :disco:

I love Att älska dig, but it does have an air of SMUGNESS compared to the scrappy underdog quality of Min Kärlek. :D

Nanne 100% stole her Schlager thunder that year, the poor cow. She triumphed in the first heat (one of the best ever!) but by the time the final came around it really felt like NO-ONE CARED. :basil:

I do reckon the English version she had READY TO GO would have been a comfortable top ten in Kiev that year, however.

OMG I've never heard that! I think that would have been a Eurovision SMASH! Possibly even more so than Nanne :shock:

The universal biblical imagery of the lyrics! It's basically a Christmas carol with implications of DEATH!

OMG I never knew Att älska dig was a Sonja Aldén cowrite!

Makes a LOT of sense though :basil:

Also yeah it totally would've come top ten in 2005. Probably 5th and all :basil:

I was very nervous when pressing the "cast vote" button but am pleased to see Moopy has made the correct decision so far :disco:

OMG I never knew Att älska dig was a Sonja Aldén cowrite!

Makes a LOT of sense though :basil:

Pretty sure she was the original artist as well, if not at least the demo singer before Shirley got her claws on it. Sonja sang an English version too.

Sonja was on loads of demoes that wound up going to bigger names. She did Invincible too.

Håll om mig losing that night in 2005 is for me what Dotter vs The Mamas is for gen Z on the eurofandom socials. It’s been almost 17 years and PTSD is still very real...

Thinking about it Shirley did beat Lena when we ran Moopyfestivalen 2004 years ago.

I do reckon the English version she had READY TO GO would have been a comfortable top ten in Kiev that year, however.

Absolutely. It is so good.

Hello Mick is amazing and must win. I like Shirley and all but Burning Alive was her crowning moment as long as you only listen to the studio version.

I can't stop thinking about how if Shirley had entered 'Miracle' to MF instead of Att älska dig, she may have been seen as a more SERIOUS COMPETITOR by the Swedes for the win.

Whilst I don't think the top 4 of 2005 would have changed, I'm now CONVINCED Sweden would have beat out Latvia to once again come fifth with it had it been sent :D

I can't stop thinking about how if Shirley had entered 'Miracle' to MF instead of Att älska dig, she may have been seen as a more SERIOUS COMPETITOR by the Swedes for the win.

Whilst I don't think the top 4 of 2005 would have changed, I'm now CONVINCED Sweden would have beat out Latvia to once again come fifth with it had it been sent :D
The more I think about it, the more I think this should be a Clamp v Clamp final battle!

God, the dramatic piano chords in Att Älska Dig. 2005 was the first year I really followed MF from start to finish. The final night was truly incredible - up until that JURY VOTE CAME IN. :zombie:

I'd always have a bit of a worry about those Clamp VOX at Eurovision, but they could have always turned up the backing singers to STUN for the big note :disco:

I'd always have a bit of a worry about those Clamp VOX at Eurovision, but they could have always turned up the backing singers to STUN for the big note :disco:

Nah, I honestly think she'd have been safe as houses in 2004 and 2005. The Att Älska Dig Delfinal 1 performance was some HOT COMPETENT SHIT.

God bless Shirley Clamp - or as a certain former moopy poster and MF 2008 legend would say: "That woman could DRINK!" :disco:

And yet she was that backing singer for various others!

To be fair, Velvet was a prolific backing vocalist too, so I don't think it's necessarily an indication of a competent lead :D

Reactions: D5K
God, the dramatic piano chords in Att Älska Dig. 2005 was the first year I really followed MF from start to finish. The final night was truly incredible - up until that JURY VOTE CAME IN. :zombie:
That chord is everything. I need my schlager stompers with high drama and a sense of high stakes!

Pretty sure she was the original artist as well, if not at least the demo singer before Shirley got her claws on it. Sonja sang an English version too.

Yep, Sonja was the demo queen of all the mid-00s BOPS.

(But glad she didn't get her hands on any uptempos other than consolation prize Etymon (:zombie:) - there's a real Agurbash quality to her vocal here :D)

Well that got tight at the end, but I declare SHIRLEY CLAMP to be Moopy’s official queen of losing! :disco:

Congratulations Shirl!

1633678127734.jpeg

Thanks for playing, everyone! Next survivor coming soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom