Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wet Leg – Wet Leg

• Yard Act – The Overload

• Total voters

VoR

Take it or leave it
Nice to see Self Esteem get in. I suspect it'll go to Sam Fender, not that he really needs it...

Prime irritant Jessie Buckley really does get everywhere these days, doesn't she?

Jessie Buckley and Bernard Butler – For All Our Days That Tear the Heart
Joy Crookes – Skin
Sam Fender – Seventeen Going Under
Gwenno – Tresor
Kojey Radical – Reason to Smile
Little Simz – Sometimes I Might Be Introvert
Fergus McCreadie – Forest Floor
Nova Twins – Supernova
Self Esteem – Prioritise Pleasure
Harry Styles – Harry’s House
Wet Leg – Wet Leg
Yard Act – The Overload

That's the best list in years - Joy Crookes, Self Esteem, Gwenno, Little Simz, Nova Twins and Kojey Radical would all be worthy winners.

As long as it doesn't go to Wet Leg, I'm good. Mind you, Yard Act are shite as well.

Self Esteem to win please.

(Edit - didn't notice Little Simz on the list!)

Has a UK minority language album ever made the shortlist before? I see 'Tresor' is predominantly sung in Cornish!

Surely this is Little Simz to lose. Wouldn't be mad about that but Self Esteem deserves it more. It would be great for the profile of both, so if they give it to Sam Fender I'll be annoyed. They do tend to go more left of the obvious choice most years so fingers crossed for one of the ladies.

I reckon it goes to Little Simz. Not as many obscure acts this year so more chance of a higher profile act.

always interesting for a remainlander to dig into the Mercury nominations and discover something new

I put on Self Esteem following the several mentions but only lasted two songs, definitely not my cuppa. Nova Twins, on the other hand, will be getting a few rotations!

I like her a lot, but listening to the album yesterday it struck me that the sequencing is AWFUL. Pushing Moody and You & Me (Forever) up the tracklist a bit really helps the whole record to breathe better.

I like her a lot, but listening to the album yesterday it struck me that the sequencing is AWFUL. Pushing Moody and You & Me (Forever) up the tracklist a bit really helps the whole record to breathe better.
This is a good point. Those two are probably the most straightforward pop songs. The album took me a while to get into, and finally clicked aftera few festival appearances. Now I adore the whole thing.

Hard agree regarding Prioritise Pleasure's sequencing.

The album also only really clicked for me after the Glastonbury performance, since when I've listened to it several times. I listened to it soon after it was released and remember thinking it was okay, but not going back to it.

Isn't it a bit the way of the MODERN WORLD though. Top and bottom-load your albums so people stream them through on repeat in the background. Ariana does it a lot.

Hard agree regarding Prioritise Pleasure's sequencing.

The album also only really clicked for me after the Glastonbury performance, since when I've listened to it several times. I listened to it soon after it was released and remember thinking it was okay, but not going back to it.

I caught up with Glastonbury show this week before it expires. Have to say that while I appreciated the joy in a lot of the performance I much prefer the studio vocals.

GOOD!

I thought Self Esteem would get it and I would've been pleased for her, but let's be real Simz' album is miles and miles ahead and a truly great body of work. she wholly deserves this recognition.

now Woman for #1 please

A reminder to myself to listen to that album...

Oh I didn’t know future Oscar winner Jessie Buckley had an album out. I shall investigate.

A more than worthy winner. As I said when the noms came out, it was a strong list with several I'd have been happy to take it home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom