Mitski - Working for the Knife

RJN

lost all chats
Pronouns
he/him

I can't wait! Quick Mitski top 8:

1. First Love/Late Spring (up their with my favorite songs of all time. Maybe my all time favorite at this point)
2. I Don't Smoke
3. Your Best American Girl
4. Nobody
5. Happy
6. I Bet on Losing Dogs
7. Old Friend
8. Townie

She has more good songs but these are all 10s

1. I Bet on Losing Dogs
2. Geyser
3. Nobody
4. Your Best American Girl
5. Crack Baby
6. Washing Machine Heart
7. Why Didn’t You Stop Me
8. Fireworks

I forgot that she has a first album that I never listened to. I need to investigate.

I only really got on board with the last album but loving Working for the Knife.

I'm really enjoying this. I don't know that much from her, a proper investigation is required.

I like that a lot on first listen. Especially the instrumental, which reminds me of the Future Islands. Working for the Knife has grown on me as well. I’m pumped for the album now

it's been mentioned but i need to mention it all: the only heartbreaker is pretty wonderful.

she's gone full-on grunge pop.

wow. Heat Lightning is fantastique.

why are all the songs so short though?

The new one is really nice. I'm getting Emiliana Torrini vibes.

love the new one, and yes a lot of her songs have been short, but it is too short. extended mix now!

what a chance to share my favourite mitski song. (well top 3).

points at crotch. moves hips.

Heat Lightning is an absolute behemoth. obsessed. I hope this takes off for her, the response to the first two tracks seemed... low-key.

it is indeed fantastic. the slow burn brooding of Heat Lightning is still my favourite so far, but Love Me More is such a rush.

Add me to the Love Me More fanclub ! Instantly loved it on first listen. Now giving her other stuff a go :disco:

Add me to the Love Me More fanclub ! Instantly loved it on first listen. Now giving her other stuff a go :disco:

If new to her, the Spotify This Is Mitski playlist does a surprisingly great job of surfacing and curating her key tracks/fan faves -

She has quite a few albums, so it can be a bit OVERWHELMING to dive in.

Of course if I was a MESSY QUEEN instead of a sensitive alt-gay I would of course suggest that Love Me More was written as a size-queen bottoming ANTHEM -

I need you to love me more
Love me more, love me more
Love enough to
fill me up, fill me up, fill me full up!!!!
200.gif

But of course I am not, so I would NEVER suggest such a thing :hostage:

ok, That's Our Lamp is the most a lamp has given to gay culture since Liza Minelli tried to turn off a lamp.

LOVE the album. It's rather UNEVEN in terms of sound (the slick singles are quite the outlier compared to a lot of the rest of the album for example) but that's no bad thing. The quality doesn't dip at any point. Stay Soft is clearly an anthem on the third listen, as is That's Our Lamp :disco: Adore the Abba piano flourishes that appear on a couple of songs too :D

The Pitchfork review bothers me, in that it opens as a really interesting dissection of her career and how this album came to be in the first place...then continues to close being unnecessarily rude about parts of the album, SHAMING her for daring to use synths on Love Me More -
"the production has the ultimate effect of anonymizing her, subsuming a first-class songwriter into a tired palette...the choices on Laurel Hell can feel like a misuse of her talent." :rolleyes:

and this line in particular seemed quite a NASTY backhanded compliment
"To say that it is the least compelling of her Dead Oceans records is also to acknowledge the stratospheric standard she has set."

Go burn in a bin Pitchfork! Anyway enough about them, yay Mitski :disco:

I'm only on track 4, but I like that the synthesizers come in around 1 minute into each song so far

I didn't realise the album was out. The new track Stay Soft is nice. But to be honest I'm still not over "The Only Heartbreaker", one of the best singles of recent months

Really enjoying this album, even though it I'd definitely a mixed bag between the more obvious pop songs and some of the quieter tracks. Also love the ABBAesque flourishes, especially on Should've Been Me.

I see it charted at 6 in the UK. Obviously sales probably won't be massive this time of year but it still feels a bit out of nowhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom