Moderation Requests

The first post in the new thread was actually going to be used in the original thread when it reopened.

It wasn’t meant to accuse or comment on any content in the thread itself; it being such a contentious subject it felt necessary to create a set of guidelines moving forwards and to remind the forum of our community guidelines. We absolutely encourage people to post and voice their opinions on the topic but we need to underscore that there’s no place for fake news or the justification of the deaths of innocent people in there. The point about Islamophobia and antisemitism was just a reminder that we will always take action against them, not that any had occurred.
I appreciate this, thank you ♥️

Nothing? You've been told nothing at all? OK.

The thread was temporarily closed because we'd received complaints about user conduct.

Whilst looking into it, we had a request to start a new one instead of opening the old one again.

We thought it was a reasonable idea to draw a line under the sand.

A new thread was started.

None of this is new information! And there's nothing more to it.

Honestly, I don't really care either way. If the majority think we should just reopen the old thread, that's what we can do.

Wow. Admin aren’t meant to be so defensive.

I guess it’s really important that you don’t care either way though! That’s the spirit!

Wow. Admin aren’t meant to be so defensive.

I guess it’s really important that you don’t care either way though! That’s the spirit!
In fairness the modmin team are more than happy to reopen the old thread and we’ve had discussions about the best and most respectful way to move forward, and this is the route we’ve gone down. In that sense I could say I don’t care either way as well, my only concern is respecting the person who made the request to close it, and the vagueness comes from not wanting to betray their confidence when we want reports, requests and complaints to stay anonymous.

Just delete the offensive post and reopen it! We’ve been doing that since 2004!

Just to be clear to indie (I thought it was clear because at least 2 other people already mentioned it) my point yesterday was that we weren’t told specifically why it was closed. We were left to speculate which one of us had caused the offence and from what. That’s not on.

Anyways I’m not really that bothered either. I guess I care more when admin will happily placate a complaint we know nothing about but patronise another poster for questioning it. Interesting times.

We were left to speculate which one of us had caused the offence and from what. That’s not on.

In case this kind of stuff isn't obvious:

if you are a person we had received a complaint about, we would have directly spoken to you.

Just delete the offensive post and reopen it! We’ve been doing that since 2004!

Just to be clear to indie (I thought it was clear because at least 2 other people already mentioned it) my point yesterday was that we weren’t told specifically why it was closed. We were left to speculate which one of us had caused the offence and from what. That’s not on.

Anyways I’m not really that bothered either. I guess I care more when admin will happily placate a complaint we know nothing about but patronise another poster for questioning it. Interesting times.
Just to clarify, there was no offensive post and there’s genuinely nobody at fault for the closure of the thread. Sorry if we’ve not made that clear. The thread closure was a request, not a complaint.

If the person who made the request decides to come forward about it, that’s their choice, but we won’t break their confidence.

There’s really no drama or intrigue, the intention is to just draw a line and allow the conversation to continue while respecting wishes. Taking this action based on a single request is obviously an extraordinary measure and we’re absolutely not setting a precedent but, given the nature of the thread, sensitivity prevails on this occasion.

I'm really not sure what you want from me here. Are you just wanting to complain?

I have said my opinions, but whether the thread stays locked or not I am not going to stand in the way of popular opinion. I am here to do what people want.

Re-open the thread and merge please. This endless cycle is pointless. If their are problematic posts, they can easily be edited.

Just to clarify, there was no offensive post and there’s genuinely nobody at fault for the closure of the thread. Sorry if we’ve not made that clear. The thread closure was a request, not a complaint.

If the person who made the request decides to come forward about it, that’s their choice, but we won’t break their confidence.

There’s really no drama or intrigue, the intention is to just draw a line and allow the conversation to continue while respecting wishes. Taking this action based on a single request is obviously an extraordinary measure and we’re absolutely not setting a precedent but, given the nature of the thread, sensitivity prevails on this occasion.

Thank you. :disco:

In fairness the modmin team are more than happy to reopen the old thread and we’ve had discussions about the best and most respectful way to move forward, and this is the route we’ve gone down. In that sense I could say I don’t care either way as well, my only concern is respecting the person who made the request to close it, and the vagueness comes from not wanting to betray their confidence when we want reports, requests and complaints to stay anonymous.

Very much this.

I really think that anyone who in confidence makes a complaint, reports a user for inappropriate behaviour or such, should have the confidence to know that we are not going to start naming who has made that request.

I'm sorry @funky if I appeared defensive, I was having a bad morning and interpreted your messages as quite aggressive and accusatory, which they probably weren't.

Nope they weren’t. We should be able to challenge mods and admins it’s part of the job! Doesn’t mean we think you’re rubbish. I’ve been very vocal about my support in the past. We should be allowed to disagree.

Anyway. Hugs.

Nothing in the logs. I assume a server wobble happened when you hit post reply so it displayed like it had posted to you, but didn't actually make it to the server.

Does the bottom end of my inbox need emptied? JYXZ has said they've messaged me, but I've not received it.

Edit: all seems fine.

Last edited:
Does the bottom end of my inbox need emptied? JYXZ has said they've messaged me, but I've not received it.

Edit: all seems fine.

It's a possibility. I don't think we can view the size of people's inboxes though :ken:

Hi, I'd like to kindly ask for my 2 pinned threads in the main forum to be unpinned. Doing it here rather than bump the thread. Many thanks.

Reactions: RJN
Are we always notified if a post we have made is deleted, or can they be deleted by a mod without the person being made aware?
Mods can choose either, but generally posts are only deleted when requested. Admins can also check a log if you think a post has been deleted improperly

If my post was indeed deleted, it was a single word post: "ugh". How apt as it would be my reaction now if so. I personally think enough personal bias can seep through: therefore, deleting anything should get a notification, including a by whom and why.

If my post was indeed deleted, it was a single word post: "ugh". How apt as it would be my reaction now if so. I personally think enough personal bias can seep through: therefore, deleting anything should get a notification, including a by whom and why.
Where and when did you post it, not seeing anything in the logs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom