Monday's going on a summer holiday

It's still sunny and hot on the island. I spent yesterday in my brother's pool, it was amazing.

Also has anyone found as they've got older they care less and less for a big group of friends and instead just want a small amount of good friends.

I've drifted away from some of my friends in recent months and I don't miss them in the slightest. It's actually nice to just focus more on a few really good ones. But in my younger days I thought having loads of friends was way more important.

Good Morning Moopy!

It is absolutely belting it down here too after horrendous thunder and lightning on and off all night. It is a cool 16 degrees right now though which is rather GLORIOUS.

It's still pretty warm and dry down here. No rain on offer until at least tomorrow and nothing of any significance until Wednesday. The drought continues. In the meantime the spiders have turned up.

I spent all weekend in the garden and I’m finally for the first time this year a colour other than Ghost

:ghost:

Is summer over now then?

*buys Christmas tree*

I need a trivia question related to Olivia Newton John for my quiz tonight that will be accessible to people born post-1998, but also not as obvious as 'What famous musical was she in?' or 'Which Australian pop singer died last week?'

Leaning towards something about Xanadu, but even that might be too obscure for my increasingly Gen-Z punters :( (I got complaints that my round on Neighbours stars turned pop singers was too hard last week as virtually nobody had heard of Natalie Imbruglia, Delta Goodrem or Holly Valance :D)

I think the two ‘obvious’ questions are your best bet

I had to explain to someone in work last week who Tina Turner was :)

I need a trivia question related to Olivia Newton John for my quiz tonight that will be accessible to people born post-1998, but also not as obvious as 'What famous musical was she in?' or 'Which Australian pop singer died last week?'

Leaning towards something about Xanadu, but even that might be too obscure for my increasingly Gen-Z punters :( (I got complaints that my round on Neighbours stars turned pop singers was too hard last week as virtually nobody had heard of Natalie Imbruglia, Delta Goodrem or Holly Valance :D)
:( Shall console myself with the fact they no longer know who Ablisa are

Bear in mind that their Olivia Newton John is my Connie Francis. Now I’m quite the music nerd but I know very little about late 50s pop music…

True, but I assumed Grease was still one of those things everybody had seen? Maybe not though, who fucking knows any more?

Oh I'm 100% pushing it with Xanadu, but there still has to be an element of challenge!

How about which John Denver song did she cover? Or who originally did Country Roads?

I reckon outside Grease that might be the song that’s got some sort of awareness

Is this a gayers audience?

I was trying to think yesterday and I genuinely only know ONJ’s Grease music, and even that’s due to ubiquity (I hate the musical). I don’t even know Xanadu - I could sing the bit where she goes XAAAANADUUUU but that’s about it. No fucking clue.

Oh and Physical. I know that one of course. That’s probably your better reference for this quiz.

It's a mixed crowd but a fair amount of queer people of various stripes turn up for sure. Lots of students.

It's quite fun, though i'm constantly having to stay on top of my references as there are literally people of drinking age now who were born in 2004 and have few memories of anything pop culture pre-2010. :D

We’ve had a TINY DRIBBLE and now the sun is threatening to come out again!!

Oh god did I post on the Monday thread I’m so random.

youre-terrible-muriel-the-worst.gif

Wasn’t Twist of Fate soundtracked in Stranger Things? After the Kate Bush stuff, that could be a fun little question.

I went with Xanadu in the end:

"Best known for playing Sandy in Grease, Olivia Newton-John also starred in another musical, the title track of which gave her a #1 hit in 1980, what was it?"

It didn't draw any major complaints and quite a few teams got it, so maybe I underestimated the late Livvy's cultural imprint. :o

That said, I overheard one of the younger teams racking their brains to remember the name of ancient hitmaker of yore RITA ORA on another question. 💀

"Ooh I think I remember RIP... was she blonde?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom