MOOPY ALBUM SYNC LISTEN - Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill

Tisch

Spare potatoes
An album that turned 25 two weeks ago, so is now older than the singer when she released it, Jagged Little Pill is one of the best selling albums of all time, selling 33 million copies. It was Alanis' international debut and arguably sparked a new genre of mid 90s shouty angsty pop rock, often intimated, never duplicated.

NOTE: Currently, we're discussing whether we stick to two or go to one relisten a week. I won't start drawing up polls and working out standard deviations but if you have any strong feelings one way or the other, make them known here so we can see what the general consensus is.

I think I have this one on CD, although it may be in a box on top of my wardrobe. Can I find it without dropping all of the rest of the CDs all over the floor? Stay tuned to find out.

I think we have it on 4 CDs and 2 vinyls :D
If only it were that weird 4 CD Flaming Lips album where you are meant to listen to all of the CDs simultaneously on different sound systems.

If all the album tracks weren't such a notch below the admittedly ridiculously brilliant singles I'd be tempted. I'll try, but Junkie I'd be shaking in anticipation over. Can we have an Alanis series? I'd love to go right through-ooh-woo-oough them all, etc.

If all the album tracks weren't such a notch below the admittedly ridiculously brilliant singles I'd be tempted. I'll try, but Junkie I'd be shaking in anticipation over. Can we have an Alanis series? I'd love to go right through-ooh-woo-oough them all, etc.

Drunk relisten of SFIJ? I'm game :D

ENJOY EVERYONE

dm me when it's time for the Broadway Cast Recording listen x

ALBAM TITBITS
  • Alanis has MADAME X and Mymanagerguyoseary to thank for the 33 million sales as it was her label Maverick that picked it up
  • Each song was recorded in one or two takes
  • Got to No. 1 in thirteen countries and won four Grammys including Album of the Year which she was the youngest recipient of until Taylor Swift won it in 2010
  • The first album to go Double Diamond in Canada :disco: (also went x10 Platinum in the UK)
  • The first single was You Oughta Know but it wasn't till the fourth single (Ironic) that she got her biggest hit. There were six singles in total and the album was on the Billboard Top 200 for over a year

Since its release it's had:
  • A 10-year anniversary Acoustic version
  • A 20-year remaster and Collector's Edition which included some pre JLP demos, the Acoustic version and a live disc from 1995
  • A 25-year remaster which will have some live tracks from 2020 tacked onto the end (released tomorrow I believe)
  • A stage musical which opened on Broadway in November 2019

I should be here for this, unless Mr L bores me into submission with some other hot boiler or similar chat.

I remember buying Jagged Little Pill in November 1995 in the Virgin Megastore (RIP)at Market and Stockton in San Francisco. I bought Something To Remember at the same time. I think at that point her being signed to Maberick was the driving force behind buying the album, although I think I probably sought out You Oughta Know and Hand In My Pocket as well.

I don't think I actually bought the album till years later, late 00s maybe. But Ironic is probably the first song I remember being on the radio all the time and I really enjoyed the lyrics. It was very much part of my childhood in the same way M People and early Kylie was.

OOOOOH ok I'm down for this - I'm not sure I've ever listened in full although I've probably cherry picked most of it at one time or another

Yeah, the harmonica is great. It's a shame that it flopped as a single release, but I don't remember much promo.

Side note: they really fucked that bit up in the musical in MY OPINION. It goes "here can you handle this" and then it shows images of Me Too protests or something. I can't really REMEMBER but it was crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom