Moopy Runners

Did my second session this morning - went out around 6:45 and there was barely anyone around, so I'll try and stick to that kind of time I think. It was the same routine as Monday (five minute walk at the start and end, then eight alternating 60-second jogs/90 second walks) and I found it a bit easier this time! It was a bit drizzly, so maybe that was cooling me down :side-eye:

After the night before's brilliant (for me) run, I went out last night and thought I was going to smash out 10k.

I managed 5k and died an absolute death, so then had to run/walk back the other 5k, which took me forever. I had done weights in the morning and I was kinda tired anyway, so I think I just was a bit overeager, but annoyed me. I am going to try and go out again tonight, but will see how I feel- might be a good idea to have a day off.

Amazed to see how many people are running though- I guess the gyms being shut is one thing, but I think there is also the psychological point of only being allowed to go out once a day for exercise is going to make you use it. The seafront was full of joggers last night, again, more than I've EVER seen.

7k this morning, which I was pleased with- even though I'm still fucking knackered and by the end I was practically RACE WALKING :D

Still, overall, job well done. Just need to pick up the speed and get to 10k regularly and I'll be happy with that.

Has anyone got/downloaded the app Zombie Run? I'm going to try it later tonight when I'm out for my daily (S)exercise. :disco:

Zombie run is GREAT but the GPS is so inaccurate for me. I got excited thinking I'd done 10k in sub 40 mins the first time.

In other news, I just ran my first half marathon in just over 1hr 50mins.

Chuffed.

That’s really good going @Chlammy

I did the zombie run tonight, ran for about 45 minutes but had to stop a few times after speeding up to get away from zombies.

it definitely made the run more interesting

Did 5km in 22mins 30 and another 10 uphill brought me to just under 50.

My best outdoors 5k is 21.27 so I'd like to get down to that then sub 21. I managed 20mins and just under on a treadmill but that was on zero incline and completely killing myself for half of it so don't think that will happen outdoors.

Week two of couch to 5k begins for me tomorrow - it looks as though they add thirty seconds onto each run/jog, but also onto each cooldown walk so I'm feeling confident I can do it :disco:

You can! That’s what got me into running and I’m the least fit/sporty gay ever.

Reactions: COB
Week two of couch to 5k begins for me tomorrow - it looks as though they add thirty seconds onto each run/jog, but also onto each cooldown walk so I'm feeling confident I can do it :disco:

Entirely! You’ve got this! You’ve come on in even a week!

I ended up doing my run a minute ago, as my knee was feeling a bit sore on Sunday night/yesterday morning and I also had a dodgy sleep. It went quite well though! This week it's changed to 90 second jogs mixed with 2 minute walks, which doesn't sound like much more on paper but I was REALLY feeling it by the end :D

I'm hoping to do my next two runs on Thursday and Saturday, then get back to Mon/Wed/Fri next week.

Good job!

I'm going to go out tonight but I'm out of sorts- I can't seem to get back into the quick running headspace again after last week's good (for me!) 5k. Will have a plod this afternoon after work and see where it takes me.

I've been running three times a week for the past three weeks now. On Saturday I did 8k in 40.30 - I was going for sub-40 but had to stop in the traffic lights twice. I'm determined to go sub-40 this weekend, traffic lights included.

Any ideas for recovery? I went yesterday and my legs felt terrible. The course I'm running is all uphill-downhill which is not helping.

I've just got back into running , after switching to swimming for a few years due to post marathon injuries. The roads are so quiet, I'm loving it.

I've been running three times a week for the past three weeks now. On Saturday I did 8k in 40.30 - I was going for sub-40 but had to stop in the traffic lights twice. I'm determined to go sub-40 this weekend, traffic lights included.

Any ideas for recovery? I went yesterday and my legs felt terrible. The course I'm running is all uphill-downhill which is not helping.

Stretch lots and have an ice cold shower on your legs. The colder the better. Jumping in the sea helps me immensely, though I understand this isn’t available to everyone!

I'm never ever going to be a runner, but I think a cycling thread is probably unlikely to get much traction so I'll go here.

Done 120 miles in last two weeks. Maybe semi quarantine is a good thing for my health. Shame I can't pop into any country pubs on the way.

If I ignore all your GENUINELY BRILLIANT times above, I've just had a GREAT run (for me). I haven't been able to do a sub-30 park run since 2017 but just did an equivalent in 30:55. Putting in crossing to the other side of the street, uphill bits and stopping at traffic lights, I'm counting that as an EQUIVALENT to sub-30 so Im JOLLY pleased.

It was the absolute perfect temperature and wind strength to run in and hardly anyone around, so complete bliss.

YES! Well done! I ran a sub-30 5k a couple of weeks ago and was overjoyed (see above!). It does feel like a massive milestone.

Now to try and get down under 26 minutes and get a PB.

YES! Well done! I ran a sub-30 5k a couple of weeks ago and was overjoyed (see above!). It does feel like a massive milestone.

Now to try and get down under 26 minutes and get a PB.
Yes I saw! I think reading this thread and seeing people on a similar plane to me got me motivated.

It's weird, I don't feel any less fit than I was a couple of years ago but I just haven't been able to get under 30 mins even on runs where I feel like they've gone really well. I guess it's just age slowing me down :(

I haven't got anywhere NEAR my PB for ages :D (think it's 27:12 roundabouts). I haven't completely written it off yet though...

I worry that age is going to mean I won't get back to where I was ever- I feel fitter than I have done in YEARS but running is still such hard work. But then I see people who've started later than me and are still way quicker, so surely it's POSSIBLE.

I worry that age is going to mean I won't get back to where I was ever- I feel fitter than I have done in YEARS but running is still such hard work. But then I see people who've started later than me and are still way quicker, so surely it's POSSIBLE.
Yeah, tbh I use age as an excuse then get overtaken by all the BIDDIES :D I'd love to be one of those fit old men who everyone thinks is amazing but judging by the men in my family I am NOT destined for that.

I thought I was going ever so quick on that sub 30 minute run until I got overtaken by a fat guy in his 20s wearing a hoody with "BEAR" written on it and then a man about 60. :D

I always get stuck behind the guy who starts too fast, stops, I overtake, then he starts again, repeat AD NAUSEUM. Happens in Park Run every week too.

WELL DONE GUYS. :)

It is nice to have other people sharing here for a bit of a push. That said I've been terrible this week and have been on two runs, and one of them ended after 3km when it started raining heavily.

I'll do one today.

Also doing some of Joe Wicks's PE sessions with my mum to break it up a bit.

@Tischlampe - thank you for the inspiration, I’ve been out of sorts all week and not run once. Seeing your point about me inspiring you, I decided I couldn’t be an inspiration unless I put my money where my mouth is- and did a sub 30 5k despite not feeling grand. Only just (29:54) but that’s a good result for me after this week!

As for other stuff, I’m doing weights still but not enough- I don’t have dumbbells heavy enough to keep up with my normal routine. Going to try and do some online classes or something next week I think.

As for other stuff, I’m doing weights still but not enough- I don’t have dumbbells heavy enough to keep up with my normal routine. Going to try and do some online classes or something next week I think.
I tried to find kettlebells online but they're all either sold out, £150 plus or 2kg.

Good inspiration to buy some when things ease off though.

@Tischlampe - thank you for the inspiration, I’ve been out of sorts all week and not run once. Seeing your point about me inspiring you, I decided I couldn’t be an inspiration unless I put my money where my mouth is- and did a sub 30 5k despite not feeling grand. Only just (29:54) but that’s a good result for me after this week!
I like that we inspired each other but FEWMING that you beat me. :oi:

(Nah seriously, well done!)

Thanks for the recovery tips! Today I stretched before and after and took a cold shower for my legs. I also walked a bit after the run because it's better than to just lay on the couch.

I did the 8k in 39.12 (without traffic lights) so reached my goal. Nearly stopped halfway because of the headwind but then Debbie Harry's Rush Rush came on and I found new energy. As much as I like to race against the clock, I think I'm going to take it a little slower for the next few weeks and maybe try a bit longer runs.

Yay wildchild - well done on hitting your goal.

I did 10.6k there in a decent enough time. Just glad I forced myself out. It's so much harder when you haven't made the effort for two or three days.

Do you run everyday @Chlammy ?

Noo. At the minute I'm aiming at 4 times a week and then maybe building to 5 unless I feel confident enough in knowing I'm doing enough in another form of workout. I have a stationary bike at home on days when I feel stiff but I'd like to do something totally different on those days.

Last edited:
That’s great! My 5k PB is 21:52 which I did 3 years ago!

I finally got back on it again yesterday and struggled to a 2k :D

The good thing is that you restarted though! Some days I struggle with a kilometer and some days I can just keep going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom