Moopy Runners

My exercise 'regime' is the same as it ever was. I walk a lot. Lockdown hasn't changed that at all, as I've still gone to work every day. If anything I may have walked more, particularly at the beginning, as public transport was so crap.

I'm the most committed to running I've been since at least February of last year, when I had a membership at a lovely gym. I've learned to love running in the city (thankfully my neighbourhood is perfectly green and quiet), am going four times a week in the morning and seeing improvements in my stamina each time.

now trying to supplement this with home workouts, which are much harder.

You do.

For the record I have asked pingu on numerous times to come for runs yet he's rolled his eyes each time and declared himself busy.

I would like to add to the record that although this is half true, my no longer living in Northern Ireland and not having done so for 3 years is usually the primary excuse.

I lost 20lb during lockdown primarily through a combination of lots of walking and deciding to not drink any alcohol at all until the pubs re-opened.

I suspect I've probably gained a little bit back since, as I'm back to the pub a couple of times a week (though it's a very responsible, socially distanced one so don't you dare fucking judge me) and my job has gone absolutely insane which, combined with worse weather and shorter evenings, has brought down my walking time. But I've mostly managed to maintain and if I can get through the winter without completely backsliding, I'll be satisfied.

ugh I haven't been for WEEKS :( I get into a vicious circle of thinking everyone will be laughing at the fat bitch wobbling down the street so I don't go and then I get even fatter

I’ve been doing okay, when I was in London i was running to and from the gym around 20 minutes there and back and then I have absolutely loved the gyms being open again and getting in to a routine with that too.

London was amazing for my step count too. I was on over 20,000 steps a day. That has went right out the window since I got back to Edinburgh though. :D

Still keeping it up for now. Cycled something like 150 miles in the last two weeks.

Winter is a different prospect though, I'm not much of a bad weather cyclist.

I am still out running most mornings but usually give weekends a miss and overindulge. I find that way works best for me, and running is my main form of exercise since I have not set foot in a gym since before lockdown.

Reactions: SDF
There's a gym just downstairs which I go to more than I go road running now, mostly because I live in an area WALLED IN by busy roads which wasnt an issue in lockdown :(

I live in the middle of nowhere so the roads are very quiet and even more so at the time I head out at in the morning.

I am back running. Did 4.5k last weekend and got back up to 5k last night. Hoping to keep it up, maybe 2-3 times a week.

I’m hoping the imminent return of Park Run will inspire me as well.

I've started again the last three days, albeit on a treadmill. Will aim to outside run this week. Need to talk myself away from the unopened packs of chocolates and shake off my post lockdown weight. I know once I get into a routine I'll be fine; getting started is the hard bit.

I need to get going. Went for a really long walk this morning but should have either been in the sea or running. Still gymming hard, though, so at least my guns are growing :disco:

I need to get going. Went for a really long walk this morning but should have either been in the sea or running. Still gymming hard, though, so at least my guns are growing :disco:
You seem more than active going by your insta!

Just did Day 1. 22:18 moving so not my best, but happy considering I'm way out of practice and I've stuffed my face all week.

So I visited a physio and a doctor for my leg and it turns out it is not the achilles but rather a tear in the calf. I'm allowed to run if the pain permits it but I don't want to takes risks yet. Today I walked 7k and it felt good. Also, the MRI on my arm was clean and probably a small tear on that as well.

The theme for the rest of the year: "no more tears (enough is enough)" :moira:
So since this post, I was able to recover the torn calf - ran for a week - and then the tore my quadriceps. This happened in May. Yesterday was the first proper "jog" since May. I was able to do 6.6k (of which I walked maybe 1.5k) in just under 40 minutes. The best k towards the end was 5.05. Here's hoping I can make this a weekly event now. The leg is still a bit weird but at least it didn't get worse.

I HAD to get off my backside yesterday and do 5k as my sister is doing the 5k a day for a month thing for charity and I was her “virtual running buddy” yesterday.

It could have gone a lot worse, I was worried about my dodgy knee playing up but I survived and I think I did it in about half an hour.

Would have been less but I was preoccupied for the first few 100m trying to capture Instagram content for her. :eyes:

Loves I’ve just ordered some proper running CLOTHES and on Thursday I’ll start running properly after only bothering with the treadmill the past few months!

*manages 5k in ~4 hours*

Last edited:
As long as its not slippery out, I actually prefer running outdoor this time of year because I don't die of HEATSTROKE.

Right this is ridiculous where is @Barnacle come back pls so I can have the motivation to get moving again

The other day my health app said I had done 34 steps all day :(:( (also a bit :disco:).

Reactions: GNL
Oh I was looking for RUNNING instead of RUNNERS.

I've started running again earlier this week. Did 10k today apparently faster than I did last year after BUILDING IT UP TO IT for months.

Why does effort make me WORSE?

I didn't really read the emails properly and accidentally signed up for a VIRTUAL MARATHON in October.

You can do it in "bits" but I didn't realise it still has to be within 24 hours. I think I'll split it into two 15's and a 12, but still Christ what am I actually thinking.

Oh I was looking for RUNNING instead of RUNNERS.

I've started running again earlier this week. Did 10k today apparently faster than I did last year after BUILDING IT UP TO IT for months.

Why does effort make me WORSE?

I find the days when I have good and bad runs to be very random and seemingly unrelated to what I've eaten or how much I slept or anything else obvious like that

Ha! Haven’t been out for ages. Will get back into it when covid dies down and the weather improves. I do miss it (sometimes).

Running is the only exercise or sport I have ever enjoyed at all. I was hoping to run a marathon in 2020, but that didn't happen for obvious reasons. Maybe 2021 will be the year if they ever happen again

I didn't really read the emails properly and accidentally signed up for a VIRTUAL MARATHON in October.

You can do it in "bits" but I didn't realise it still has to be within 24 hours. I think I'll split it into two 15's and a 12, but still Christ what am I actually thinking.

Good luck and remember it still counts if you have to CRAWL the last 12.

This is a bit like when I go to buy a new phone and hope they don't judge me too obviously when it becomes clear I know nothing about nothing. 4g? I don't fucking know, can I please just have that one.. ahem.

So I'm planning on running again, but need headphones (wireless ones seem to have been invented, so let's go with them). I don't have a clue what I need beyond this - do I need to have my phone in my pocket during this to jig as I jog? I really cannot run without my tunes, so helpful advice (and links) would be genuinely appreciated here.

This is a bit like when I go to buy a new phone and hope they don't judge me too obviously when it becomes clear I know nothing about nothing. 4g? I don't fucking know, can I please just have that one.. ahem.

So I'm planning on running again, but need headphones (wireless ones seem to have been invented, so let's go with them). I don't have a clue what I need beyond this - do I need to have my phone in my pocket during this to jig as I jog? I really cannot run without my tunes, so helpful advice (and links) would be genuinely appreciated here.

I run with AirPods, which are made by apple but can pair with any smartphone. They’re a little expensive but totally worth the cost

I tend to just hold my phone, but that bothers a lot of people, so you could get an armband for it if you want.

I wear running shorts that have a zipper pocket that can hold my AirPod case, key, credit card, and ID. I also use a garmin watch, but you don’t really need that.

These are the shorts I like: https://shop.lululemon.com/p/men-sh...985&ta=1&tasid=MOuhFzSrzg&taterm=pace breaker

shoes are so individual. If they’re open soon, you can go to a running store and have someone there figure out which shoes are best for you

Last edited:
God I hate shopping, but airpods, trainers and clobber all ordered. Now to reshuffle and spruce up my current playlist.

@straightorbroken I run with these:

Amazon product ASIN B07VSYLV61
They're good at staying in my ears (which I've really struggled with in the past as mine are obviously a weird shape...) And the sound quality is good.

One complaint is that the controls to put volume up and down, pause, skip is quite clunky so I tend to use it as little possible.

I also run with a armband for my phone and some shorts with just a small zip at the back for a key. I wouldn't be able to run holding lots of stuff. The clothes I wear are just cheapo stuff from Decathlon but I need new stuff really.

Lastly, for the height of winter I'd get some running gloves. Your body warms up but I was was finding my hands would go numb and it was really uncomfortable and off-putting when running. I only really needed them for December and January though. No need for expensive ones.

@straightorbroken I run with these:

Amazon product ASIN B07VSYLV61
They're good at staying in my ears (which I've really struggled with in the past as mine are obviously a weird shape...) And the sound quality is good.

One complaint is that the controls to put volume up and down, pause, skip is quite clunky so I tend to use it as little possible.

I also run with a armband for my phone and some shorts with just a small zip at the back for a key. I wouldn't be able to run holding lots of stuff. The clothes I wear are just cheapo stuff from Decathlon but I need new stuff really.

Lastly, for the height of winter I'd get some running gloves. Your body warms up but I was was finding my hands would go numb and it was really uncomfortable and off-putting when running. I only really needed them for December and January though. No need for expensive ones.

Oh no way am I running until it's at least double digits out there. I tried last March and the cold was too much for my throat. I did expect it to be warmer by now mind.

I've set up a Belfast LGBTQ+ Running Group to start once restrictions ease. Trouble is that my speed and distance is going to be limited limited limited now, but I'm still quite excited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom