Moopyvision 2000-2009: Round 1 - Sweden, UK & Macedonia RESULTS

Penelope

I šta ćemo sad?
Pronouns
Any
After the BILLBOARD SUCCESS of the saintéd @VoR's Moopyvision Decade 2010s series revived the Eurovision forum almost exactly in parallel with coronavirus, it's time to try giving it a STAB WITH THE EPIPEN in time for a winter lockdown. And what better with than the decade the contest went billboard itself, opening with the first contest in a proper concert arena, seeing a decade of stage shows becoming increasingly elaborate and the Eastern bloc entering the contest with full force, and closing with a full TITS OUT, FUR COAT AND NO KNICKERS affair at Olimpiyskiy Stadium in Moscow in 2009?

So strap on those stilts, fire up the hell machine, get those backing singers dragged up as trees and strategically placed in the most SHADOWY SPOTS onstage, and get your pints of crème de menthe at the ready - it's time for several months of MOOPYVISION 00s :disco:

Shall we start with a few bangers?

Sweden
1920px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png

Kicking off by sending the contest stratospheric in Globen following Charlotte Perrelli's first Eurovision victory in 1999, the 00s were a big-hitting period for Sweden stuffed with pop delights and a flawless qualifying record, but one which lacked a win (with the obvious exception of the second of Charlotte Perrelli's five Eurovision victories, with her TRIUMPHANT RETURN in 2008). Despite starting big out of the gate though, results took a dip towards the end of the decade, leading into Sweden hitting its nadir at the beginning of the next...

2000: Roger Pontare - When Spirits Are Calling My Name
2001: Friends - Listen To Your Heartbeat
2002: Afro-Dite - Never Let It Go
2003: Fame - Give Me Your Love
2004: Lena Philipsson - It Hurts
2005: Martin Stenmarck - Las Vegas
2006: Carola - Invincible
2007: The Ark - The Worrying Kind
2008: Charlotte Perrelli - Hero
2009: Malena Ernman - La voix

NUL POINTS

United Kingdom
2560px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png

Having totted up a win in every decade since the 60s, the scrapping of the language rule in 1999 - and a subsequent complete collapse in efforts at BBC Television Centre, coupled with a post-Iraq/Jemini victim complex - heralded the sea-change that saw the 00s become the least successful decade yet for the UK (though of course, there was still worse yet to come...). Nevertheless, despite only a couple of bright spots here and there results-wise, for my pink pound this really is a delightfully batshit little selection that I think any surprise package nation - I don't know, let's say MONTENEGRO - could've been pleased to come up with. Just strap in and ENJOY THE RIDE is all I can say :disco:

2000: Nicki French - Don't Play That Song Again
2001: Lindsay Dracass - No Dream Impossible
2002: Jessica Garlick - Come Back
2003: Jemini - Cry Baby
2004: James Fox - Hold Onto Our Love
2005: Javine - Touch My Fire
2006: Daz Sampson - Teenage Life
2007: Scooch - Flying the Flag (For You)
2008: Andy Abraham - Even If
2009: Jade Ewen - It's My Time

NUL POINTS

The Nation Formerly Known As the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
2560px-Flag_of_North_Macedonia.svg.png

But of course, any true selection of the 00s wouldn't be SHIT without SOMETHING FROM THE EAST :disco:

Not quite debuting this decade (they managed to sneak in some loser in 1998), the Macedonians nonetheless started the decade in near-on LATVIAN style with one of the most jawdropping spectacles ever entered into the contest, promptly getting themselves sent off for the following year in the age of relegation, before diving into a hodgepodge brand of stylish low-key ethnopop, R&B slaggery, hair rock, and......whatever Make My Day is, hugging the cusp of qualification at all times and barely missing out when they did. If the UK this decade were a surprise package country, think of Macedonia as doing that formula at its minnow nation WINGDINGS BEST :disco:

2000: XXL - 100% te ljubam
2002: Karolina - Od nas zavisi
2004: Toše Proeski - Life
2005: Martin Vučic - Make My Day
2006: Elena Risteska - Ninanajna
2007: Karolina - Mojot svet
2008: Tamara, Vrčak & Adrian - Let Me Love You
2009: Next Time - Nešto što kje ostane

NUL POINTS

Reactions: VoR
Anyway - voting is by DM to me and open until noon on Sunday, and results will be THAT AFTERNOON (in accordance with @VoR tradition on the weeks he didn't drown in a vat of menthe to get out of work the next day)

Also here's a lovely YOUTUBE PLAYLIST of the lineup for all three nations as an AIDE MEMOIR

Last edited:
On the whole I might get more pleasure out of putting the UK bunch on shuffle than Sweden.

The UK really was a SHOWER OF SHIT

Macedonia really is a slog. There is a lot of waiting for a song to ‘get going’ and then realising you are two minutes in.

Although it is fun to see Tamara a decade before Proud looking at least two decades older than when she competed with Proud!

Last edited:
I may do certain countries. Others feel like rather hard work when I feel it's only fair to listen to everything again.

I may do certain countries. Others feel like rather hard work when I feel it's only fair to listen to everything again.
Part of the fun is the rediscovery process, so I DO hope you'll spare the odd half hour and plunge in (at least now and then)

Mega excited by this but I need to make sure I give it the time it deserves.

Macedonian Eurovision Wikipedia is a RIGHT HOOT

Martin and Tose VERY GOOD FRIENDS
In the media, he is famous for being a very good friend of Toše Proeski who composed the song title of the album Muza.

AWFUL TAMARA NOT HONOURING THE DEAD
An online petition was held for a tribute to be paid to Toše Proeski at the Eurovision Song Contest 2008. It gathered over 13,900 signings however it was not honored. Tamara Todevska, singer of the Macedonian Eurovision entry of this year said that their entry was dedicated to a few people including their "angel who is up there watching over us".

Oh JUST DO IT AND POP A KLONOPIN WHEN YOU READ THE RESULTS THE MORNING AFTER :oi:

DARLING I DON'T DO BENZOS ANY MORE. The WHAT DAY IS IT NOW thing gets very tiresome

And also, do I really have the energy for the same old argument and upsetting hate speech which will ensue when I give La Voix a well-deserved zero? Not to mention the NON-STOP DEATH THREATS and DONKEY HEADS VIA THE ROYAL MAIL

NO I DO NOT. I have spaniels to be walking

:hostage:

There is, AFTER ALL, NOTHING more chic than lobbing a grenade into a box of cats and then CASUALLY MINCING AWAY

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom