Moopyvision 2000-2009: Round 7 - Turkey, Denmark, Belarus & Georgia RESULTS

Penelope

I šta ćemo sad?
Pronouns
Any
Anyone up for an absolutely STINKING whiff of the souk, the decade's daffiest debutantes, a slice of Scandi and a blast of Caucasian persuasion? Voting open until 3pm Sunday 16th Jan.

TURKEY
1599px-Flag_of_Turkey.svg.png

Having spent the best part of the 80s and 90s propping up the bottom of the scoreboard with entries that often felt like a wild goose chase in search of a decent hook, Turkey finally stumbled onto the art of a decent chorus this decade - and, coupled with the expansion of the contest, the rest was history. Along with Greece, this was essentially their decade, with five top tens, a win that really gave the contest a kick up the arse, a perfect qualifying record and only two entries on the right hand side of the scoreboard. Some real peaks and troughs, but a good amount to be getting on with here for my money.

2000: Pınar Ayhan & Grup SOS - Yorgunum anla
2001: Sedat Yüce - Sevgiliye son
2002: Buket Bengisu & Grup Safir - Leylaklar soldu kalbinde
2003: Sertab Erener - Every Way That I Can
2004: Athena - For Real
2005: Gülseren - Rimi rimi ley
2006: Sibel Tüzün - Süperstar
2007: Kenan Doğulu - Shake It Up Şekerim
2008: Mor ve Ötesi - Deli
2009: Hadise - Düm tek tek

NUL POINTS

DENMARK
1920px-Flag_of_Denmark.svg.png

Another nation that got a win this decade - their second, 37 years after their first with Dansevise in 1963 - and a very creditable bridesmaid bow on home ground the year after, before very quickly starting to run hot and cold - although generally qualifying more often than not after their relegation in 2003. Denmark doesn't have a rep as Scandinavia's most Magic FM nation when it comes to Eurovision for no reason - there's some good stuff to be getting on with here, and then there's...some stuff a good cut or two below.

2000: The Olsen Brothers - Fly on the Wings of Love
2001: Rollo & King - Never Ever Let You Go
2002: Malene - Tell Me Who You Are
2004: Thomas Thordarson - Shame On You
2005: Jakob Sveistrup - Talking To You
2006: Sidsel Ben Semmane - Twist of Love
2007: DQ - Drama Queen
2008: Simon Mathew - All Night Long
2009: Brinck - Believe Again

NUL POINTS

BELARUS
2560px-Flag_of_Belarus.svg.png

Belarus are the stars and YOU are the faggot who pushes play!

2004: Aleksandra & Konstantin - My Galileo
2005: Angelica Agurbash - Love Me Tonight
2006: Polina Smolova - Mum
2007: Dmitry Koldun - Work Your Magic
2008: Ruslan Alekhno - Hasta la vista
2009: Petr Elfimov - Eyes That Never Lie

NUL POINTS

GEORGIA
1920px-Flag_of_Georgia.svg.png

No, not @RJN's one, the other one.

Anyway, they stormed in with one of the great debuts of Eurovision history, stuck around with, uh, one of the follow-ups of Eurovision history, and then promptly stormed out after their war with Russia saw them attempt to send a barely veiled diss track against Putin to the Moscow contest. Just the two entries that made it to the Eurovision stage here for you girls.

2007: Sopho Khalvashi - Visionary Dream
2008: Diana Gurtskaya - Peace Will Come

NUL POINTS

Actually AGHAST at how bad one of these entries is AND that it was sent as close to the present day it was!

I'm sure 'Mum' is used as an instrument of torture by the Belarussian KGB to break the spirit of dissidents.

Every time am watching Dum tek tek and the guy with the green skirt and the wehrmacht boots(or maybe prada sneakers) comes in.

happy episode 8 GIF

Last edited:
This Belarussian round really is a battle to the death between two of the most SUMPTUOUS bits of toss I've ever laid eyes/ears on :disco:

It’s a rather QUICK TURNAROUND by my standards but I’ll do this tomorrow while you’re all asleep/passed out

Belarus really is an unexpected delight. Aside from one glaringly obvious exception, I could have given top marks to any of them.

Belarus really is an unexpected delight. Aside from one glaringly obvious exception, I could have given top marks to any of them.
I was very pleasantly surprised too.

And I'd never noticed that there's a quick outfit change for everyone in 'Peace Will Come', not just Diana.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom