Moopyvision 2010-2019 Round 10: Bulgaria, France & Georgia

VoR

Take it or leave it
We're back! After a short intermission here's another delightfully mixed bag for your ranking delights. A once-hopeless nation that made a spectacular comeback, a Big 5 with little success but quite a few undervalued gems and a quirky little Eastern European nation that consistently veers wildly between offbeat and unlistenable :disco:

Please submit your votes in the indicated scoring formats by no later than 12.00 noon on Sunday 15th March.

Bulgaria

Flag-Bulgaria.jpg

Bulgaria joined the contest in the mid-00s and offered a beguiling combination of clubland bangers and bewildering train wrecks. A two year break in the mid-10s revitalised them, and though they temporarily dropped out again in 2019, when they do deign to turn up they tend to go in with serious ambitions.

2010: Miro - Angel Si Ti
2011: Poli Genova - Na inat
2012: Sofi Marinova - Love Unlimited
2013: Elitsa & Stoyan - Samo Shampioni
2016: Poli Genova - If Love Was A Crime
2017: Kristian Kostov - Beautiful Mess
2018: Equinox - Bones

NUL POINTs

Spotify Playlist (2010-2011 missing)
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4omryjZx1odHyEqLcHrbTW?si=OQfAryrmTNa1UPyvM0rlpA

France
fr-lgflag.gif

As bad as things are for the UK at Eurovision these days, spare a thought for the poor old French, currently over 40 years removed from their last sniff of a win. The 2010s were generally terrible for the, results wise at least, although they did see an uptick from 2016 onwards thanks to a new approach. Even on their worst years, they remain very much themselves.

2010: Jessy Matador - Allez Ola Olé
2011: Amaury Vassili - Sognu
2012: Anggun - Echo (You & I)
2013: Amandine Bourgeois - L'enfer et moi
2014: Twin Twin - Moustache
2015: Lisa Angell - N'oubliez pas
2016: Amir - J'ai cherche
2017: Alma - Requiem
2018: Madame Monsieur - Mercy
2019: Bilal Hassani - Roi

NUL POINTS

Spotify Playlist
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6xe3nrqsmHrIT7SiTfraDW?si=IXf4tW9_Qpq1BfdACt3E_A

Last edited:
Georgia
georgiacountry35_tn.jpg

Georgia also entered the contest in the previous decade, promising greatness with their magnificent debut entry 'Visionary Dream' - still an all time VoR favourite. Sadly they never quite lived up to that, but they've certainly had their moments, mostly involving women named Sopho.

2010: Sopho Nizharadze - Shine
2011: Eldrine - One More Day
2012: Anri Jokhadze - I'm a Joker
2013: Sopho Gelovani & Nodiko Tatishvili - Waterfall
2014: The Shin & Mariko - Three Minutes to Earth
2015: Nina Sublatti - Warrior
2016: Nika Kocharov & Young Georgian Lolitaz - Midnight Gold
2017: Tamara Gachechiladze - Keep The Faith
2018: Ethno-Jazz Band Iriao - For You
2019: Oto Nemsadze. - Keep On Going

NUL POINTS

Spotify playlist (Missing 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016)
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2ZFr0Z5xQOl8eN27Hs94Kt?si=NZaHYe1oSIWmn-5yVW-VqA

Last edited:
Georgia started so well in 2007 but now they are one of my least favourite countries in Eurovision.

I'm still surprised by the HUGE amount of points Beautiful Mess got.

I’m trying hard to not give 12 points to Waterfalls just because of my lustful feelings for Nodiko Tatishvili.

Will I manage? RESULTS SOON!

I think the French entries might be the strongest run of the decade overall for me - I could have given them all high points.

Georgia should stick to sending women named Sopho only

Six of their entries were in my bottom 3 of the years, it hurt having to give as many as five points to one of those horrors :gross:

Thanks to my sudden bout of Carolavirus I'm a bit late to the party with this. I can, however, exclusively reveal that I had three candidates for 12 points in my Georgia ranking.

Also, BLIND ITEM time: Which Bulgarian entry with a surname that sounds like a Final Fantasy VII boss was denied 12 points because she shagged my old workmate's boyfriend? She's lucky that being a slack old tart isn't a crime, or she'd be locked up for life.

What's remarkable about Georgia is that three of their entries were among my worst ranked going into the contest, and at the end of it I came out liking them.

I think I need a lie down after how I've just voted. I didn't see that ranking coming.

I'm midway through my Georgian re-watch and I must say this is TEN TIMES more fun than the Lithuanian shower.

I mean don't get me wrong, they are all ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE, but in such compellingly different ways. :D

I'm midway through my Georgian re-watch and I must say this is TEN TIMES more fun than the Lithuanian shower.

I mean don't get me wrong, they are all ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE, but in such compellingly different ways. :D
Totally. At least they're generally notable, not just meh.

I was ASTONISHED at how ALL KILLER NO FILLER Bulgaria turned out. And Georgia, as mentioned, MUCH THE SAME FOR OPPOSITE REASONS :D

Reactions: VoR
I'm not sure if enjoying is quite the right word, but I'm certainly resenting Georgia less than I did Belarus or Lithuania.

I hope VoR sorts us an extra long corona special for the next round, seeing as everyone (except me and OutSynk) will be in their underground bunker :disco:

Done. France really was extremely strong. I even liked their flops. My 0 for France would have been top 3 with Georgia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom