Moopyvision 2010-2019 Round 12: Albania, Belgium & Spain

VoR

Take it or leave it
Thanks to @Suomi for granting me a brief reprieve before his recent untimely murder in that other game. Told you this role was cursed!

Let's move on to our next round - another scrappy Balkan with a fetish for screaming women, a split nation with a surprisingly strong record this decade, and poor old Spain, who haven't had a sniff of a win since before they got rid of facism...

Please submit your votes in the indicated scoring formats by no later than 12.00 noon on Sunday 29th March.

Albania

flag_of_albanian_clear_communication_people.jpeg

Europe's weird little outlier, until the mid-90s Albania was an ultra-secretive, militantly atheistic communist state. This pain continues to inform their Eurovision entries, many of which feel like exercises in primal scream therapy. They have a near perfect 50% record of sneaking into the finals, and tend to finish either 16th or 17th once there, but they did score their greatest success to date this decade.

2010: Juliana Pasha - It's All About You
2011: Aurela Gaçe - Feel The Passion
2012: Rona Nishliu - Suus
2013: Adrian Lulgjuraj & Bledar Sejko - Identitet
2014: Hersi Matmuja - One Night's Anger
2015: Elhaida Dani - I'm Alive
2016: Eneda Tarifa - Fairytale
2017: Lindita - World
2018: Eugent Bushpepa - Mall
2019: Jonida Maliqi - Ktheju tokës

NUL POINTS

Spotify Playlist:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7fVDnviTQjF34vEKSxkIFy?si=kSN8ZJASQFu4Q_EOXRa7aw

Last edited:
Belgium

Flag-Belgium.jpg

'Plucky little Belgium' as the British press once condescendingly dubbed them, are in fact a mildly dysfunctional divorced couple, with the French and Dutch provinces passing the Eurovision back and forth like the child they both secretly regret having.

Like their cousins in The Netherlands, they entered the 2010s on the back of a dismal run of flops, but they were quicker to break the duck thanks to proto-Sheeran Tom Dice. Things went wobbly again for a few years, but they finally found their stride around the middle of the decade and they've been watchable, if unreliable players ever since...

2010: Tom Dice - Me and My Guitar
2011: Witloof Bay - With Love Baby
2012: Iris - Would You
2013: Roberto Bellarosa - Love Kills
2014: Axel Hirsoux - Mother
2015: Loïc Nottet - Rhythm Inside
2016: Laura Tesoro - What's The Pressure
2017: Blanche - City Lights
2018: Sennek - A Matter of Time
2019: Eliot - Wake Up

NUL POINTS

Spotify Playlist:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6VesoFor1XlVtUA1VLch3u?si=j0Cb728fQg2Grdls6_c2DA

Last edited:
Spain
sp-lgflag.gif

Poor Spain - they routinely try a bit harder than the UK does, but their results seldom lift them much higher either way. Big shouty ballads seem to somewhat work in their favour, while virtually everything else... doesn't.

2010: Daniel Diges - Algo pequeñito
2011: Lucía Perez - Que me quiten lo bailao
2012: Pastora Soler - Quedate Conmigo
2013: El Sueño de Morfeo - Contigo hasta el final
2014: Ruth Lorenzo - Dancing In The Rain
2015: Edurne - Amanecer
2016: Barei - Say Yay!
2017: Manel Navarro - Do It For Your Lover
2018: Amaia y Alfred - Tu canción
2019: Miki - La Venda

NUL POINTS

Spotify Playlist:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4SkgvQec9aW5LxfCTF4hP8?si=10eLAP38TI-0ov5dqtukbA

Last edited:
For as good as they've been in general, two of those Belgian entries are among the most horrific atrocities I've been forced to relive in this Contest

For as good as they've been in general, two of those Belgian entries are among the most horrific atrocities I've been forced to relive in this Contest
Belgium have been VERY hit and miss. This is the country that - within a year - went from the absolute, unbridled joy of 'loaf keels ovary nova' to a bloke who wanted to fuck his Mum.

Looking back over Spain I feel like they've been brutally fucked over this decade. Barring a couple of shithouses, they've slung some absolute gems at the competition.

There are quite a few Spanish entries I like but there is nothing AMAZING there.

Belgium probably (I don't remember every Albanian entry) has the best and the worst for this round. How the hell was Mother ever 4th in the odds. Didn't it make Ruslana cry?

Albania is a challenge to rank because they really do come the closest out of all countries to just sending the exact same song every year.

Last edited:
Apart from the 2013-14 blip, that's a fair stellar line up from Albania. But then I do have a penchant for the SHOUTING FEMALE genre.

Reactions: D5K
Why did the stage invader have to give a helping hand to what ended up being the worst Spanish entry of the decade :rolleyes:

Also one of the Albanian songs is my favourite Eurovision entry of the decade and if you don’t all give it top marks I shall cry and cry.

To clarify, I don’t mean Suus. I said ‘song’, not ‘Tracy-Ann Oberman-looking dickhead making noises like she’s giving birth sideways to a giant baby made of barbed wire and vinegar’.

I can tell I'm really going to have to be in some kind of MOOD to tackle that Albanian lot and it might need me to unilaterally quit the Citalopram for a bit

It's amazing how Flanders so often thought they had potential winners to only crash and burn. 6th is still their best result ever.

Oh god the TIME..

@VoR this will take a good hour at least and I've a few things to do first, have we got until later this afternoon?

Even if he says he's starting now you still have an hour (plus), go on.

I thought that but then it'll end up being the one week where a deadline is actually kept to and I'll have endured harrowing Albanian traumas for no good reason!

I can have it done by 2 at the latest but it won't be before 1..

Post them as you go along and save the whitest until last. That way at least some of you votes will count and you may be able to avoid listening to Albania at all.

Oh this won't be starting until later so knock yourselves out.

I might have to make it either a late night show or spread it through the midweek. Up to you guys.

Oh this won't be starting until later so knock yourselves out.

I might have to make it either a late night show or spread it through the midweek. Up to you guys.
Time is an abstract concept right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom