Moopyvision 2010-2019 Round 4: Greece, Latvia & Norway - RESULTS!

VoR

Take it or leave it
Back to our regularly scheduled programming with three countries that won the Contest in the 00s and had variable success adapting to the 2010s.

Please submit your votes in the indicated scoring formats by no later than 12.00 noon on Sunday 26th January

Greece

flag-400.png

The 00s were an imperial era for Greece at Eurovision, with their first win and a further three top 3 placements. The wheels came off quite badly in the 10s, and by the end of the decade they were being routinely overshadowed by their neighbours in Cyprus. Nevertheless, they persist, and it's still a rarity not to at least see them in the finals, even if it's been a 6 year dry spell since they last cracked the top ten...

2010: Giorgos Alkaios & Friends - OPA!
2011: Loukas Giorkas feat. Stereo Mike - Watch My Dance
2012: Eleftheria Eleftheriou - Aphrodisiac
2013: Koza Mostra feat. Agathon Iakovidis - Alcohol Is Free
2014: Freaky Fortune feat. RiskyKidd - Rise Up
2015: Maria Elena Kyriakou - One Last Breath
2016: Argo - Utopian Land
2017: Demy - This Is Love
2018: Yianna Terzi - Oniro Mou
2019: Katerine Duska - Better Love

NULL POINTS

Spotify Playlist (Missing 2010 & 2016)

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0SQcCxFOsbZ7JyLYblqRnQ?si=egUwv4HPS9eMfqGsU5CDAQ

Last edited:
Latvia

Flag-Latvia.jpg

One of the least successful countries of the 10s, Latvia came into the decade one year into what would become a six year finals drought only ended by Aminata in 2015. They had another good year in 2016, but that was their last qualifier. Not promising on paper, but there's some quite delightful nonsense in this mix.

2010: Aisha - What For?
2011: Musiqq - Angel In Disguise
2012: Anmary - Beautiful Song
2013: PeR - Here We Go
2014: Aarzemnieki - Cake To Bake
2015: Aminata - Love Injected
2016: Justs - Heartbeat
2017: Triana Park - Line
2018: Laura Rizzotto - Funny Girl
2019: Carousel - That Night

NULL POINTS

Spotify Playlist (Note: 2012 is a remix)
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/148scz6MqHm2qw8pgFEd5E?si=iVuV231ARKKvIF2ia0VamA

Last edited:
Norway

800px-Flag_of_Norway.svg.png

Norway of course hosted the first Contest of the 10s, and ended the decade with another victory, albeit televote only. In between, they managed to be consistently strong, recovering from an iffy start to build up an enviable strike rate of hits.

2010: Didrik Solli-Tangen - My Heart Is Yours
2011: Stella Mwangi - Haba Haba
2012: Tooji - Stay
2013: Margaret Berger - I Feed You My Love
2014: Carl Espen - Silent Storm
2015: Mørland & Debrah Scarlett - A Monster Like Me
2016: Agnete - Icebreaker
2017: JOWST - Grab The Moment
2018: Alexander Rybak - That's How You Write a Song
2019: KEiino - Spirit In The Sky

NULL POINTS

Spotify Playlist (Missing 2013 :evil:):
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2KBwhXaNAVDFVV2Z4QbLmj?si=P7vTbgVGR_iWJJ2MRYkLNA

Last edited:
Norway's going to be tough. Latvia on the other hand...

It's going to take me an entire week to decide whether to give my null to OPA, Watch My Dance, Alcohol Is Free or Utopian Land, all varying degrees of hideous. People are too harsh on the likes of Latvia and Lithuania, I really think Greece could be the worst of the decade.

It's going to take me an entire week to decide whether to give my null to OPA, Watch My Dance, Alcohol Is Free or Utopian Land, all varying degrees of hideous. People are too harsh on the likes of Latvia and Lithuania, I really think Greece could be the worst of the decade.

:shock: at ALL OF THIS!

I really think that Latvian lineup is MAGNIFICENT :D

Greece went off the boil this decade but it's more fun than I thought it was going to be.

I've always had a sweet spot for Watch My Dance and Utopian Land.

Reactions: Zu
Imagine thinking that ‘Watch My Dance’ is HIDEOUS! @Jacques obviously knows nothing about Zeibekiko *smug emoji*

Greece did indeed go a bit skew in the last ten years but that one and ‘Oniro Mou’ (recorded version not misjudged semi performance) (to name but two) really are spectacular

Okay, I'm in for this and will try to do all three. Are you happy to receive my scores separately?

Also let's take a requisite moment to remember DEARLY DEPARTED Saule riet :disco: :disco: :disco:

Reactions: VoR
Apart from that 2015-16 run, Latvia have been utter shit. Not counting 'What For?' obviously - that's less of a song, more low brow EXISTENTIAL EXPERIENCE. :disco:

Greece is clearly going to be the hardest for me. I’ve just revisited ‘Alcohol Is Free’ and I don’t remember it being that good AT ALL! Also, the amazing intro of ‘Utopian Land’ is worth quite a few points even if it does descend into mediocrity with that silly chorus in English. If only it had gone somewhere else :argh:

I genuinely don't even know where to begin to give my 12 for Latvia :D

:D They’re another dead loss country who really might as well do it in the tongue and dish up a bit of euro-exotica, given that they could hardly do any WORSE

Beautiful Song and What For? are both at the absolute pinnacle of their genre for me. :D (That genre being FABULOUS TRASH)

'Better Love' really was a complete DOGS DINNER on stage, wasn't it?

Last edited:
DREADFUL. Also, the song itself didn’t contain a single hint of anything even remotely Greek which obviously gets short shrift from Jury Zu

:enya:

Done.

Latvia really is a sucker for a turgid ballad, and Greece have been a lot shitter than I remember them being.

Norway have had three catastrophic misfires in amongst some of the absolute belteriest absolute belters of the decade.

Said misfires (and I'm not naming names) if you're reading this... some pointers.
Misfire 1, pick a tune and stick to it. Nobody enjoys getting whiplash from the sudden lurch into the chorus of a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FUCKING SONG.
Misfire 2, maybe you'd have written a better song if your understanding of the craft extended beyond 'believing in it' and 'rolling with it'.
Misfire 3, you're not Eric Saade. Ignore your own advice, fuck off, and don't come back until you're looking like something.

I prefer this version anyway so I shall be voting on this basis :disco:

JOSEPHINE FTW

Actually I think the Norwegian decade selection is quite turdish with only a few highlights. Not like their neighbours and good friends Denmark. They ALWAYS choose the right songs and there’s never any PTSD or enduring rage :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard she completely broke down, but as far as I knew that was after she failed to qualify?

She struggled really badly with her bipolar throughout her time in Stockholm. They cancelled all her press and most of her rehearsals so she only had to do the bare minimum.

Poor girl, people with mental problems shoudn't go thought something like that, so much pressure. Mind you that Finland has sent them twice this decade.

I Feed You My Love not being on Spotify is a HATE CRIME.

Paging @aquaplex

I don’t want to go in too harsh as I’ve already received death threats following the Greece fiasco, but let’s just say that I’m firmly team Spotify :tongueout:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom