Moopyvision 2010-2019 Round 7: Belarus, Finland & The Netherlands

VoR

Take it or leave it
A bit of a grab-bag of a round this week, featuring our upcoming host country, the Scandi power-thrupple's awkward cousin and everyone's favourite wacky dictatorship.

Please submit your votes in the indicated scoring formats by no later than 12.00 noon on Sunday 16th February.

Belarus
Flag_of_Belarus.svg

The Cyprus to Russia's Greece, minus the mid-decade turnaround, Belarus have been chipping away since 2004. Their less than transparent selection techniques have led to some... interesting performances over the years, though of late they've gone relatively respectable compared to the glory days of Angelica Agurbash. Still, lots of crass nonsense to enjoy here.

2010: 3+2 feat. Robert Wells - Butterflies
2011: Anastasia Vinnikova - I Love Belarus
2012: Litesound - We Are The Heroes
2013: Alyona Lanskaya - Solayoh
2014: TEO - Cheescake
2015: Uzari & Maimuna - Time
2016: Ivan - Help You Fly
2017: Naviband - Story of my Life
2018: ALEKSEEV - Forever
2019: Zena - Like It

NULL POINTS

Spotify Playlist (Missing 2010-2011):
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/39rbaFUt2dZXxhsGrDHbgC?si=dCVGe_CBQCmIi9bPQJbxVA

Finland
Finland-National-Flag.jpg

Long considered the Portugal of the Nords (i.e. losers), Finland of course had one of the most memorable wins ever in 2006. The 10s were a mixed bag, with nothing that got close to the Lordi moment, but a few highlights in a decidedly mixed bag of genres.

2010: Kuunkuiskaajat - Työlki ellää
2011: Paradise Oscar - Da Da Dam
2012: Pernilla Karlsson - När jag blundar
2013: Krista Siegfrids - Marry Me
2014: Softengine - Something Better
2015: Pertti Kurikan Nimipäivät - Aina mun pitää
2016: Sandhja - Sing It Away
2017: Norma John - Blackbird
2018: Saara Aalto - Monsters
2019: Darude - Look Away

Spotify Playlist (Missing 2012):
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4h9bDbqNTQHGAHLxABMpQy?si=VtHuZk5MRbq2X7fuzzUDXQ

NULL POINTS

Last edited:
The Netherlands
flag-prototype-Netherlands-countries-European-flags.jpg

Probably *the* Eurovision success story of the decade, The Netherlands sputtered into the 10s on the tail end of one of the worst runs of failure in the history of the Contest - eight consecutive NQs!

Fortunately, in 2013 national treasure Anouk decided enough was enough and from then on they went from strength to strength, capping off an impressive run with their first win in 40 years.

2010: Sieneke - Ik ben verliefd
2011: 3JS - Never Alone
2012: Joan Franka - You & Me
2013: Anouk - Birds
2014: The Common Linnets - Calm After The Storm
2015: Trintje Oosterhuis - Walk Along
2016: Douwe Bob - Slow Down
2017: O'G3NE - Lights & Shadows
2018: Waylon - Outlaw In 'Em
2019: Duncan Laurence - Arcade

NULL POINTS

Spotify Playlist:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4PMxX0Ituu8mLyJkBdCtWC?si=TiLVXevoSlqUbyMX9gUN8g

Last edited:
The Belarusian line up is objectively a LOAD OF OLD TOSS, but I'd be lying if four of those entries don't almost ENTIRELY exemplify why I love this ridiculous contest :D

VoR, please give me a reminder about an hour before you start the results next Sunday. Because that's when I intend to open the sherry.

I forgot how much I HATE most of The Netherlands entries from the past decade :D

I don’t know why I find Douwe Bob SO OFFENSIVE, but I really, REALLY do :disco:

Belarus are of course somehow mainly incredible AND unlistenable :disco:

The very state of the Belarusian flag! I thought that vertical section on the left was badly pixelated but apparently not!

The very state of the Belarusian flag! I thought that vertical section on the left was badly pixelated but apparently not!

The pattern, derived from local plants and flowers, is a traditional type commonly used in Belarus. These patterns are sometimes used in woven garments, most importantly in the traditional ruchnik, a woven cloth used for ceremonial events like religious services, funerals, and other more mundane social functions, such as a host offering guests bread and salt.

Belarus - land of peasants.

I forgot how much I HATE most of The Netherlands entries from the past decade :D

No, I'm with you re. Douwe Bob. Definitely serial killer potential.

I'm not sure that I actively like ANY of the Netherlands entries. I certainly don't ever want to hear them. I was going to say BRING BACK TANJA DEXTERS (:disco:) but she's Belgian :side-eye:

I mean I'm sure they do their best but nothing has reached the dizzy heights of stunning classics like 'Solayoh' :disco:

:

Oh I remember being personally offended by at least one entry from the last few years. I don’t remember if it’s this one but the name alone suggests it is!

I'm not sure that I actively like ANY of the Netherlands entries. I certainly don't ever want to hear them. I was going to say BRING BACK TANJA DEXTERS (:disco:) but she's Belgian :side-eye:
Oh I don’t know this thread has made me dust off old ANOUK this afternoon.

Anouk is in my bottom 3 for the Dutch entries

It should’ve been Sieneke that saved them from NQ misery

I’m surprised by this hatred for Douwe. He is absolutely lovely.

Hate Waylon.

Anouk is in my bottom 3 for the Dutch entries

It should’ve been Sieneke that saved them from NQ misery

Sieneke is still seen as one of our worst entries EVER. That, De Toppers or Treble.

Aren’t we all forgetting MOON FACE Joan?

She’s not exactly a HIGHLIGHT in the illustrious history of Dutch Eurovision entries.

Last edited:
I totally forgot that Waylon dirge happened until revisiting it for this thread. What a waste of a finals spot that year.

Anouk is a lovely song, but it's not the class of the round...

How very wrong.

I agree. I think something boring like Never Alone is much, much worse. “No, we don’t need the LED wall. The song sells itself.” :eyes:

I think our worst entry ever are those sluts from Holland though.

Finland was one of the worst countries last decade, some of those song make my poor ears bleed.

Finland remind me of Lithuania in that they often have quite decent stuff in their preselection, but more often than not they choose UTTER TAT on the night.

Sing It Away in particular I’m sure randomly beat an ACTUAL GOOD SONG to go to Eurovision :D

Let’s hope they don’t fuck up again in 2020 :side-eye:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom