Moopyvision: All Time National Final Favourites Rate - nominate NOW (closes 14th Jan)

ButterTart

Succulent Chinese meal
NF250.png
Hello hi! It's me, Butters Den Förste Tart, and I'm here to welcome you to the first and probably only MOOPYVISION NATIONAL FINAL FAVOURITES RATE!

Those of you who are long-time viewers of this annual homosexual flotilla will be aware that there are many participating territories, or 'countries', and some of these hold national finals to determine which entrant, or 'song', will be representing them on the gayest stage of them all.

You may also know that Europe is absolute shit at decision making, and so hundreds of excellent songs have fallen victim to the public's unquenchable thirst for voting for turgid, lifeless dross. Who can forget the moment Cicciolina was brutally cast aside in favour of some nob who probably lists birdwatching as his biggest turn-on? Who wasn't appalled when Romania were forced to field Esther Rantzen instead of the racist opera singing child they actually wanted, all because they thought Wiwibloggs deserved more of a say in their final than the public?

Europe really do shit down their own legs come national final season - which is the main reason we voted for Brexit and are so successful at everything now - so I feel it's only right and correct that we impart our superior knowledge, by definitively voting on the greatest national final songs of all time.

THE CONTEST

I would like you to DM me your choices for the best national final songs ever. You may choose UP TO TWENTY songs, and each poster can nominate a maximum of ten songs for any one country. Once we have a decent shortlist, there'll be a series of viewing parties to rate the list in handy, bite-sized chunks.
'But Butters' I hear you trill 'I don't understand anything ever, I need a firm hand on my rudder to lead me through this process'. And I say to you; DON'T PANIC Tisch, the rules for eligibility and submitting a song are below :disco:

THE RULES
The following are eligible for this contest:
- Songs which competed in, but did not win their national final.
- Songs which won their final, but the artist declined the invitation to go to Eurovision.
- Songs which were part of radio/online preselections. They don't need to have been performed at an actual final to be eligible; as long as they were in a competition where they had the opportunity to progress to Eurovision, they're valid.
- Songs which won their final, but were prevented from attending by sour faced bitches who shouldn't even have won 2016 in the first place.

The following are NOT eligible:
- Songs which went on to compete at Eurovision.
- Songs which would have competed at Eurovision in 2020.
- Songs from national selections held in years when the country was not a Eurovision participant (e.g. Sanremo: the wilderness years)
- Songs which were rumoured for internal selection.

And that's your lot. There's no rush on this, so I'll give you a couple of weeks to DM your choices to me. I'm asking people to DM so you pick your absolute tops. If there's a publicly viewable list, there's a strong chance this or that will be suggested because 'it ought to be in there'. My ethos with this is that if it's not in anyone's top twenty, it shouldn't be in the contest. If you pick a song that's already been submitted, I'll let you know so you can pick again. I'm very much looking forward to this rocket ride, and I hope you'll all join me.

Last edited:
Please send in this format:

Artist - Song - Year - Country

If any song gets requested a few times, I'll add it to this post so you know it's in and don't need to nominate it again.

Last edited:
I currently have a shortlist of 282 songs for this, so I'm counting on you to pick a few of them to make my job easier.
I am not really familiar with any National Final songs, so feel free to pick your second 20 choices and just use them as my nominations.

I hope you'll still take part in the viewing parties; we have such sights to show you.
Oh, absolutely. I may be familiar with quite a few of them following previous national final sync watch events, but for some reason, probably not alcohol related, can remember hardly any actual titles.

As the sort of unhinged person who has followed every single NF since 2001, this is both exciting and a mammoth task :disco:
That's why I've not set a deadline, this will take some mulling over. I've only got into national finals fairly recently, so this is in no small part me trying to mine other people's superior knowledge for gems I wasn't aware of.

What’s your policy on songs that were submitted to the online phase of the Swiss NF but didn’t make the televised final?

What’s your policy on songs that were submitted to the online phase of the Swiss NF but didn’t make the televised final?
Oh I meant to mention this because the UK had something similar... they're eligible. The criteria is that the song must have been in contention for the chance to represent their country, no matter how early in that process they were eliminated.

I'm not especially familiar with national finals.

What was that Norwegian lass with the water last year? Also Ciccolina.

I'm not especially familiar with national finals.

What was that Norwegian lass with the water last year? Also Ciccolina.
Oh Raylee :D

I have a feeling she might pop up.

I hope you'll still be watching along, I think you'll find plenty of new obsessions along the way.

Oh I meant to mention this because the UK had something similar... they're eligible. The criteria is that the song must have been in contention for the chance to represent their country, no matter how early in that process they were eliminated.
There were hundred of songs in the online phases in 2008-10, I remember 500+ the first year. I'll have to deliver some unique entries. :eyes:

I was just wondering about this and your answer pleases me.

So IN THEORY we can enter songs that were part of early stages of selections even if this was never publicly confirmed or the songs not publicly released? As would be the case with those UK online songs for example.

I'll compile something, I'm not totally out of the loop. What info do you want? Just song and artist?

So IN THEORY we can enter songs that were part of early stages of selections even if this was never publicly confirmed or the songs not publicly released? As would be the case with those UK online songs for example.
I'm thinking more of the ones where they were confirmed but never made it past the radio portion - Cheryl Beattie and Helene are the ones that come to mind for the UK.

I hope you're all ready for my maddening and absolutely relentless SWEET BRAINS TO THE TOP campaign that will result in much controversy and my eventual permanent exile from Moopy!
sweet-brains.png

:disco::disco::disco:

Now I wonder if we send the good quality studio versions or the creaky live ones recorded in horrendous 240p?
I'll pick the best quality versions I can find. By necessity, some will have to be the studio versions because they're not on YouTube. Some German ones and pretty much every Italian one, I'm looking at you :evil:

I've already had 40 song submissions :disco: and we now have representatives from:
Armenia
Australia
Austria
Belarus
Croatia
Denmark
Estonia
Finland
France
Greece
Israel
Italy
Moldova
North Macedonia
Norway
Poland
Slovenia
Spain
Sweden
Ukraine
United Kingdom

I am incredibly excited about this. And also very worried about how to narrow my shortlist down to 20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom