MUNA - Anything But Me + self-titled album

have you not at all? I thought you did but just didn't enjoy. you really must. it's a melodramatic masterpiece!

second was very chill in comparison.
I have played it through a couple of times but nothing really STUCK. I love them though so I really should get to know it properly.

The second one was much more my vibe.

The new one has grown on me already - being so close musically to I Know a Place it was bound to - but the vocal choices on the early choruses are still not right to my ears.

the whole vocal is too low in the mix for my taste. it hasn't grown but maybe with the album

This video coming on Friday alongside the album looks great - and starring the icon Meg "Hi gay" Stalter

what I want is this album immediately. Friday morning I'm gonna get up early and listen while riding to the swimming pool and I'm expecting that to feel... spiritual :disco:

that video looks hot!

I've had to stop my first listen to put WHAT I WANT on repeat, holy shit it's amazing! And talk about a song coming around at just the right time :tongueout::disco:

I wasn't sure about this album on first listen, but tonight I'm much more into it. the back half is quite low-key but there are lots of moments of beauty and some gorgeous lyricism :disco:

maybe I do slightly miss that extreme sense of melancholy many of their earlier songs had, but Loose Garment, Home By Now and Anything But Me are all really soft and lovely. Silk Chiffon feels a little out of place here? it just feels old compared to the rest...

EARLY RATE

10 Silk Chiffon
09 What I Want
08 Runner's High
09 Home By Now
10 Kind of Girl
07 Handle Me
08 No Idea
07 Solid
11 Anything But Me
09 Loose Garment
07 Shooting Star

ok this album is creeping up on me. Handle Me is at least an 8 now. gorgeous!

the tracklist works better with Home By Now near the back and Anything But Me brought forward. this is what I landed on...

01. What I Want
02. No Idea
03. Runner's High
04. Anything But Me
05. Handle Me
06. Silk Chiffon
07. Kind of Girl
08. Solid
09. Home By Now
10. Loose Garment
11. Shooting Star

WHO ELSE IS STANNING?

@RJN @Tisch @Iguana @funky @FetchFugly @Pipo @Gangsta Nancy Lam

ok this album is creeping up on me. Handle Me is at least an 8 now. gorgeous!

the tracklist works better with Home By Now near the back and Anything But Me brought forward. this is what I landed on...

01. What I Want
02. No Idea
03. Runner's High
04. Anything But Me
05. Handle Me
06. Silk Chiffon
07. Kind of Girl
08. Solid
09. Home By Now
10. Loose Garment
11. Shooting Star

WHO ELSE IS STANNING?

@RJN @Tisch @Iguana @funky @FetchFugly @Pipo @Gangsta Nancy Lam
I've only listened ONCE for some reason. Maybe I'm scared it'll burn out? I loved it of course. They're something really quite special.

I think it might be my favourite of their albums after a few listens, or at least the most immediate. Shooting Star is currently my favourite, it's just so sweet.

I think it might be my favourite of their albums after a few listens, or at least the most immediate. Shooting Star is currently my favourite, it's just so sweet.
Shooting Star is actually my least fav right now! it leaves no impression. and they've always had iconic album closers until now. but everything else is hard like or love.

It’s a slow burner for me. I don’t dislike anything but it’s a case of front loaded campaign - they released all the bangers first. I’m invested in them enough to be patient though. Let the hidden gems COME THROUGH

What I Want just packs in so many pop moments... the 'WANT-WANT-WANT' bits, that bridge/pre-chorus, the way that 'I want the full effects' sounds like 'I want the filofax' and it makes no sense but is brilliant anyway. Oh and of course:

I WANT to DANCE in the MIIDDLE OF A GAY BAR :disco:

It is kind of the out there, doing it for myself sibling of I Know a Place.

Hmm. I really like but don't love this album. There are some great songs but as my girl funky said, it's been a very frontloaded campaign and half the 'new' songs that came with the album are filler-y to me (Handle Me/No Idea/Solid being a particularly meh-worthy trio.)

I'm a little disappointed, but I do REALLY like a lot of it and I will keep those tracks.

08 Silk Chiffon
08 What I Want
07 Runner's High
09 Home By Now
08 Kind Of Girl
06 Handle Me
06 No Idea
05 Solid
09 Anything But Me
07 Loose Garment
07 Shooting Star

Saves The World remains the pinnacle. Brilliant lyrics, concepts AND melodies from top to bottom.

(Handle Me/No Idea/Solid being a particularly meh-worthy trio.)
rejigging the tracklist to separate these songs definitely helps with that. Handle Me sounds great feeding into Kind of Girl.

I still think Saves the World has their most filler moments to date, specifically Hands Off and Good News (Ya-Ya Song), which are totally forgettable. the "filler" here packs more of a punch. anyway the singles ARE all major highlights - Kind of Girl, Home By Now and Anything But Me are simply OWNING MY LIFE. all are MUNA top 10 I think.

Honestly some of the lyrics on this. So simple yet so HEARTBREAKING :(

Heard you were selling your piano and your car
It feels so weird not to reach out and ask how you are
Wonder if you're moving or if money's just that tight
These are the kids of questions to which I've resigned my rights

Agree there's a bit of a dip in the middle, but otherwise it's all pretty fantastic.

I like the album a lot. The pre-release singles were pretty much bulletproof this time around but there is a lot to love.

I don't think I would have picked up on the 90s boyband thing on No Idea if I hadn't read about it, but it remains a tune.

I don't think there is a whole lot to Solid but they keep it tight and it doesn't outstay its welcome.

And the closing two songs are both sad and lovely in the best MUNA fashion.

Reactions: COB
Me, for the 100th time this year to an act I want to see: "TOUR EUROPE!"

OK I just had a moment to "Handle Me"

Better late than never!

Handle Me is so lovely. the whole album is great, comfortably 2nd in their pantheon.

10 Silk Chiffon
09 What I Want
09 Runner's High
10 Home By Now
10 Kind of Girl
08.5 Handle Me
07.5 No Idea
07.5 Solid
11 Anything But Me
10 Loose Garment
07 Shooting Star

What I Want is an amazing pop track, just wow. I'm a bit fixated on it right now but need to jump into the album.

"What I Want" is the instant rush to the head but "Home By Now" and "Anything But Me" really have the legs.

I knew before it started this August would be a hard one
Late summer love sprung up between us
Didn't last through the seasons
I'm broken hearted, I'm disappointed
It was still beautiful
Took myself out to dinner and cried about you on the way home
Used to wear my sadness like a choker
Yeah, it had me by the throat
Tonight I feel I'm draped in it, like a loose garment
I just let it flow

Loose Garment is such a stunning song. that level of melancholy / aching inward reflection achieved by both lyrics and the music is really peak MUNA.

"Home By Now" really is the spiritual successor to Robyn's "Hang With Me", a decade down the line, having made all the mistakes you initially tried to avoid.

Exquisite.

"Home By Now" really is the spiritual successor to Robyn's "Hang With Me", a decade down the line, having made all the mistakes you initially tried to avoid.

Exquisite.
it's such a magical song. inject me with that gay melancholy.

I wasn’t really feeling their second album or some of the singles, but I heard Home By Now and I’m back in :disco:

What a great sad banger

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom